Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Until the Covid shutdown, we ate out a lot - nothing fancy, just so we wouldn't need to cook and could still have a good variety. Now, even though we only have about 44 active Covid cases in the Islands, we've just begun reopening restaurants. Most aren't actually opening because they can't make money with 50% (or less) occupancy. We're looking forward to going out to eat, but not sure when. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before Covid, when we would go out to eat we always looked for tables that were somewhat isolated. That had a table or two between us and them. I always felt uncomfortable when we had to sit close to another table. We could hear their conversation. We could see what they're eating and how they eat. I always asked for the semi private booths at our favorite breakfast place. Now, it's a given. We're nicely spread out and semi private.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #63

We live in a really small town and restaurant choice is very limited. We mostly cook at home when we are at home. I have girl lunches out with my friends, and we love eating out in nearby larger towns and when we go on vacation. I had the best burger I can remember eating a few days ago in a small town in Utah. And cheese curds- a first for me. Neither covid nor retirement will change our restaurant habits.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #64

Ate out for the first time yesterday. We're on a mini staycation because our house is being fumigated. Ate on an outdoor patio. They had a 4% surcharge for the added costs for health protections. 1/2 the tables. Servers wearing masks and gloves. Needed a mask to be seated, but didn't have to wear it once seated...

I don't think I'll be ready for indoor eating for a long time. Fortunately, in San Diego, patio dining is a year round thing... even in the dead of winter.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Ate out yesterday and today will have lunch with a friend and then tonight happy hour food and drinks with another couple. We are mostly eating outside. Most food doesn’t carry out well.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #66

I don't think I will be eating out for a long time and when I do it will be mostly when I eat out with other people and not just DH and I. In the before times, DH and I ate out 2 to 3 times a week and I had lunch out with a friend and occasionally we would go out to dinner with her and her husband. I actually thought it was too much but found it hard to break the habit. Well, it is broken now. We do get takeout 1 day a week. Surprisingly, I have found that is enough. I am happy with that and not really tempted to go to a restaurant. I think in the future we will mostly limit it to when we are eating out with others (and that won't be for awhile, maybe the fall when it is cool enough to eat on a restaurant patio).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I just had our first meal out for close on 3 months. Lunch on the patio of a favorite restaurant. A few other customers, not crowded by any means. No masks at the table but we did wear masks to check in. San Francisco Bay Area.
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #68

used to eat out a lot, we loved busy vibrant restaurants, eating at the bar at our favorite sushi place, etc. Now I have no idea when I will feel comfortable doing it, but it won't be soon, and it will only be outside and only with substantial (more than 6') space between us and the nearest other table. We love cooking, so it has been lots of grilling, just did grass fed ribeye again for lunch. We've got months of frozen tuna, salmon, lobster, shrimp, beef and bison to cook.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #69

Buttermilk Blueberry pancakes, Oatmeal with cranberries, French toast with cinnamon and maple syrup, or Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Baby back ribs with molasses baked beans, Prime rib with roasted potatoes, Salmon with garlic broccoli, Shrimp with Penne Rigate in sundried tomato/fresh basil butter sauce, or a bake at home pizza from Papa Murphy's for some of the dinners. Tonight we have cobbler with fresh picked blueberries.

Not sure why I need a restaurant. We can have a dinner by candle light and soft music or watch a movie on Netflix or eat out under the pergola. Either way we won't be bothered by noise and loud people.

I would still like to go out for an ice cream cone or a hot dog at Costco or bring home a roasted chicken or maybe fried chicken from Publix when not up for cooking.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #70

I don't entertain, so if I want to treat someone, I take them out. I also eat out when I want to meet up with a friend who iives some distance away and we meet half way. I'll continue to do that, but I don't eat out much other than that.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Not sure why I need a restaurant. We can have a dinner by candle light and soft music or watch a movie on Netflix or eat out under the pergola. Either way we won't be bothered by noise and loud people.
Most of us don't NEED a restaurant, but on occasion it's nice to be waited on and even better not having to clean up!
Old 06-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Yup, not about needs, about wants.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Definitely about wants! Cooking all the time gets old.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #74

Quote:
Buttermilk Blueberry pancakes, Oatmeal with cranberries, French toast with cinnamon and maple syrup, or Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Baby back ribs with molasses baked beans, Prime rib with roasted potatoes, Salmon with garlic broccoli, Shrimp with Penne Rigate in sundried tomato/fresh basil butter sauce, or a bake at home pizza from Papa Murphy's for some of the dinners. Tonight we have cobbler with fresh picked blueberries.

I would still like to go out for an ice cream cone or a hot dog at Costco or bring home a roasted chicken or maybe fried chicken from Publix when not up for cooking.

Cheers!
I want to go to Badgers for dinner.

His dishes sound mouthwatering.

But seriously we have been(mostly me on the cooking, hubby on cleanup detail) cooking a lot of quality meals and recognize that the meals rival fine dining, but I am growing weary of all of this cooking and would love some pampering.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #75

The sous vide is bubbling away at 137 degrees with some lamb chops. They were vacuum-sealed with fresh rosemary from our garden and plenty of sliced garlic. The searzall is standing by with a fresh can of gas for the quick sear. We'll roast some asparagus after tossing in olive oil and kosher salt. And a small Caesar salad with freshly-shaved Parmesan cheese. Pinot Noir for sure.

Cooking never gets old around here. It's one of my daily creative outlets. Eating is just a bonus.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:06 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Most of us don't NEED a restaurant, but on occasion it's nice to be waited on and even better not having to clean up!

We have a new dishwasher.

Cheers!
Old 06-13-2020, 04:09 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
The sous vide is bubbling away at 137 degrees with some lamb chops. They were vacuum-sealed with fresh rosemary from our garden and plenty of sliced garlic. The searzall is standing by with a fresh can of gas for the quick sear. We'll roast some asparagus after tossing in olive oil and kosher salt. And a small Caesar salad with freshly-shaved Parmesan cheese. Pinot Noir for sure.

Cooking never gets old around here. It's one of my daily creative outlets. Eating is just a bonus.

I view cooking as an art form like painting, sculpture, or music. The big difference is that I get to eat the final results.

Cheers!
Old 06-13-2020, 04:37 AM   #78

Quote:
We have a new dishwasher.

Cheers!
Once or twice a week, I'll opt for quality disposable dishes & flatware. After the meal everything goes in either the recycle or trash bin. Yeah, I know it's an ecological horror, but, as Walter Cronkite used the say, "That's the way it is."
Old 06-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I haven't eaten out since early March. But have some friends I'm meeting in Orange Beach in a week so I know we will eat out there. And I'm fine with it as there will be plenty of places we can sit outside. I not sure when I will eat out again in my hometown of MS as my county is one of the top 3 hotspots within the state.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
We live in a really small town and restaurant choice is very limited. We mostly cook at home when we are at home. I have girl lunches out with my friends, and we love eating out in nearby larger towns and when we go on vacation. I had the best burger I can remember eating a few days ago in a small town in Utah. And cheese curds- a first for me. Neither covid nor retirement will change our restaurant habits.
Care to share the burger place...our favorite Utah burger place is Oscar's in Springdale UT, it might be the scenery that makes it so tasty...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote