Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went out to a local diner two days ago. Every other table had an 'X' on it which meant no one could sit there. Staff had masks, patrons did not need to have masks. I didn't feel unsafe at any time. No problems.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I went out to a local diner two days ago. Every other table had an 'X' on it which meant no one could sit there. Staff had masks, patrons did not need to have masks. I didn't feel unsafe at any time. No problems.
That's what the restaurants are doing here, too. We are satisfied with the safety precautions they have in place.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I look forward to dining out when we finally make it back to Europe.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Covid cases identified in our county of over 600,000 people is a little over 1/10 of 1% (0.0017 to be exact). I have not heard of any dining places (as of today) where infections have been identified and the place closed to take out only. Things could change though.
Montgomery county Texas (The Woodlands area) has had 26 documented covid deaths so far this year. (let's say 26 deaths in ~3 months in the area since this "stuff" really started)

So extrapolating the "current" death rate through the end of the year, they may see 75 to 100 total covid deaths there, but who really knows at this time. In 2018 (the last year for complete data that I could find) Montgomery county had 47 traffic deaths. How many people in the Woodlands have quit driving due to traffic deaths in the area? (Hint, other than the 47 that died, the answer is probably pretty near zero)

So it would seem that your chances of dying from covid in the area is about double from driving there everyday. So if traffic deaths doubled in the area, do you think people would quit driving!
Old 06-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Montgomery county Texas (The Woodlands area) has had 26 documented covid deaths so far this year. (let's say 26 deaths in ~3 months in the area since this "stuff" really started)

So extrapolating the "current" death rate through the end of the year, they may see 75 to 100 total covid deaths there, but who really knows at this time. In 2018 (the last year for complete data that I could find) Montgomery county had 47 traffic deaths. How many people in the Woodlands have quit driving due to traffic deaths in the area? (Hint, other than the 47 that died, the answer is probably pretty near zero)

So it would seem that your chances of dying from covid in the area is about double from driving there everyday.
Based on today's traffic, and I was in it half the day, it's like nothing has changed around here. Costco parking lot was full by 10:00 am. Traffic jam on 1488 in the late afternoon.

The only things missing are the school buses. But it is June and they woud be gone anyway.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Based on today's traffic, and I was in it half the day, it's like nothing has changed around here. Costco parking lot was full by 10:00 am. Traffic jam on 1488 in the late afternoon.

The only thing missing is the school buses.
As I expected... The DW and I drove thru the area a few weeks ago (not by choice) and she commented that it didn't look like anything had change.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
As I expected... The DW and I drove thru the area a few weeks ago (not by choice) and she commented that it didn't look like anything had change.
Since we live on 242 next to the college, the only thing that seems different is that the three large hospitals at I-45/242 have pretty empty parking lots. I can see them from the north heading overpass onto 242 going west.

My DW had three doctor appointments between last week and this and the doctor offices parking lots are also 1/2 empty, when pre-covid they were always full.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:22 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Restaurants here are still closed but open for take out. We've been thinking about doing take out since that has been going on for awhile and doesn't seem problematic. The fatality rate locally is very low and half of those are from higher risk, close quarters type places like nursing home and food processing plants.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:47 AM   #29
Administrator

We love eating out, mostly lunch or breakfast, and have continued to do so in recent weeks at places that do carry out. Going to the coast this morning for a walk along the beach and carry out fish and chips for lunch. It won稚 be until next month before sit-in cafes and restaurants are open again.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:51 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:

The only things missing are the school buses. But it is June and they woud be gone anyway.
Fond memories of when we used to live in The Woodlands. We used to regularly ride our bikes on a Saturday or Sunday morning to eat breakfast somewhere, so it is good to hear that the eating places have opened back up.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We don't eat out a lot, except for travelling of course. We have been getting take out once a week since the lockdown which DW loves. After there is a vaccine I expect we will do anything we want to.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:06 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
We used to eat out a few times a month. Several weeks ago, Florida opened up restaurants to 50% capacity.

So DW and I made a lunch date to an open air patio seating on the water. Food was ok but the view was good. Waitstaff all wore masks. Wiped down the seating with Chlorox. Over tipped deliberately.

Four days later, DW and I are both sick with a mild fever, systemic inflammation and sore throats. No congestion, but my blood pressure went up 15 points. We were feeling better 5 days later and no temperature after 4 days.

So, we got this at the same time - probably sprayed with some virus from the waitress since we were not simultaneously nearby anyone else for weeks.

Definitely not covid, but made us pause in thinking about how easy it is to get sick with unnecessary travel.

Sigh
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:08 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I知 a bit more leery of restaurants nowadays due to the number of meat processing plants which had to be closed due to Covid-19. Although we have dined out a few times, I知 a little more apprehensive regarding my ordering. Hence, I知 staying with salads more as opposed to cooked meat.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We love to eat out and look forward to doing it again someday, certainly not in the near future. Our 40th anniversary is tomorrow. We have gone from planning and then cancelling an anniversary trip to Quebec City, to take out from a local Italian eatery, that we enjoy. We have a zoom happy hour planned with friends too to crack the champagne with.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Plan to do both, love cooking at home and love eating out.
+1.

We spent a couple days in Helen, GA recently. Dined at restaurants for lunch and dinner. Did take away for breakfast. I am mindful of the low probability of infection, the very low probability of death, as well as the safety precautions taken by food joints. I perceive that the drive up and back, and the side trips to local wineries, placed us in greater peril the the damn virus.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:54 AM   #36
Administrator

Fish and chips sitting on the pier at Saltburn today

Various places serving take-away breakfast at 9am so we will be back there in the morning. Feels great to be able to do this again, and with public toilets open as well we'll be able to do some our favorite cliff top walks between seaside towns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0639.jpg (618.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-04-2020, 07:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Eating out is more than just about the food. We are eating out regularly and will continue to do so.
absolutely. My adult sons take me out once a month, it's a social event with food. no way would I give that up.

Next, the eat out get together's with the gal pals.

and if anything I'm sick of cooking. maybe it's because my repertoire is not extensive to begin with but it got old real quick.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We eat out twice a week. We really missed it. We have eaten outside and inside. No one requires customers to wear masks. No restaurants have closed because of the virus and our infection rate is low. It’s one of our main pleasures.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #39

Appreciate the great weather we've had in the Midwest. Our downtown, full of bars, shops and restaurants opened up. They closed the street to cars and the restaurants filled the streets with tables.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
I知 a bit more leery of restaurants nowadays due to the number of meat processing plants which had to be closed due to Covid-19. Although we have dined out a few times, I知 a little more apprehensive regarding my ordering. Hence, I知 staying with salads more as opposed to cooked meat.
I may have missed some detail but, have you seen anything, anywhere to indicate the virus can go from a human to a piece of meat that is processed, packaged, shipped to another location and then cooked?

Because just a few seconds of goggling will tell you that produce picking employees have suffered outbreaks of COVID...so produce might be just as bad as meat with this way of thinking.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote