Join Early Retirement Today

May not go out to eat —— ever
Old 06-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

May not go out to eat —— ever

We travel around following the weather in our motorhome staying new places a month or two and like to try the different salsas at mom and pops Mexican food joints. When we go through that place again a lot of the times we can remember the places by the taste of the food. In and out, Habit, and Filiberto’s is pretty good too. We both like to cook and found out in the last three months the virus has been around that we don’t really care to go out to eat anymore. Since beer went up over $5 a glass and wine is high too I’ve been having soda pop or water to drink. We’ve been watching restaurant impossible and other shows showing the worst of the worst and get jaded by that too.
I bought a new Weber electric grill So been cooking tri tips, shrimp, and onions this month and washing down with a beer or two.
I think we’re done with restaurants.
Anyone else?
What are you grilling
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely not. Eating out is one of our favorite things to do.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I haven't eating out since early in the year. Not missing it much either. In my hometown you have to wear a mask in the restaurant but can take it off when dining. Mayor's order. I do not plan to go while that order is in place. At my vacation condo on the coast everything is much more relaxed. Looks like I will be staying down here more.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Ditto, and all the restaurants are open around here now.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Plan to do both, love cooking at home and love eating out.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same here.
Currently eating outdoors 1x week and delivery/pickup 2x week.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Article in the Star Trib today about multiple restaurants closing for takeout due to COVID outbreaks in their staff. What happens when the eat in dining starts? Any thoughts on this from those of you that eat out often?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Article in the Star Trib today about multiple restaurants closing for takeout due to COVID outbreaks in their staff. What happens when the eat in dining starts? Any thoughts on this from those of you that eat out often?
Covid cases identified in our county of over 600,000 people is a little over 1/10 of 1% (0.0017 to be exact). I have not heard of any dining places (as of today) where infections have been identified and the place closed to take out only. Things could change though.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We haven’t gone back to dine in yet, but there’s no way we won’t go back to going for dinner 2-3 times a week again eventually.

I don’t know about the OP, but I’ve heard some/many people here who aren’t planning to “go back” to restaurants - who confessed they didn’t go very often to begin with. Sort of like saying I won’t back to the opera again, I’ve only been a couple times in my life...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

BF and I typically met for breakfast once a week and had dinner out once on most weekends. We haven't done either since we finally got out of our self-isolation 3 weeks ago. He comes here, I cook dinner. We both enjoy it.

I'm not thrilled at the idea of wearing a mask in the restaurant, paying higher prices which I know will be necessary because they serve fewer people and the (unquantifiable) risk to us. We're headed to Hermann, MO to a B&B in a few weeks. It's a 3-hour drive from here, so no flying required. I trust the B&B- have been going there for years- but it will be interesting to forage for meals that we don't get there. We may do takeout or choose places where we can eat outdoors.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We used to eat out for lunch about twice a week and out for dinner once a month. The last lunch out was March 10. It will be a while until we actually do a sit-down in a restaruant. It would depend upon the layout of the restaurant.

Since then DW has been cooking. She's tired of it, but she would still rather cook than take-out from most places (DW is a culinary artist IMO). The one exception is we are going to get Chili Rellenos and Tamales from Little Anitas. We just haven't done it yet because the closest one is 20 minutes away. After that maybe the 'dam will break loose' and we will do more take-out. But dining in a sit-down, not for several months for sure.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
I think we’re done with restaurants.
Anyone else?
What are you grilling
we eat out...or will be again as soon as they open up...an average of twice a week. thanks for leaving more space for us!
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm never going to the opera again. I've been once and that was enough -
Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Covid cases identified in our county of over 600,000 people is a little over 1/10 of 1% (0.0017 to be exact). I have not heard of any dining places (as of today) where infections have been identified and the place closed to take out only. Things could change though.
We are still take out only and those restaurants that closed were doing only take out meals. Now closed completely.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #15

Eating out is more than just about the food. We are eating out regularly and will continue to do so.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:12 PM   #16

DW and I've been cooking more and enjoying our meals more than we used to. Last week I drove the motorhome up to a friend's shop to work on the generator. Him and I went out to his favorite po-boy place to eat. It was enjoyable to sit in a (uncrowded) restaurant and enjoy a meal. Nice to also enjoy someone else's company.
We'll probably start eating out again when things are better. But we still pick up from the deli at the local grocery store, that hasn't changed.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We've eaten out once outdoor. There's a number of places we can eat at outside. We will have make a difficult decision. The place we ate at is tourist free, others not so much. A couple local places are still take out only one has outside dining with clean up service only.

There a thread here about what you are cooking:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...d.php?t=102979

Tonight we made sous vide pork chops @139, next time will be 138% with a pan sauce and roasted beets and tiny potatoes. Tomorrow DW wants me to order a pizza from a mystery place; we've never received what we ordered only the added toppings.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #18

We go out rarely,when we want to enjoy dinner with our friends without the distraction of cooking and cleaning up, and when we are feeling lazy. But I like to cook, and unless we are going someplace really expensive, my meals with fresh ingredients beat the heck out of Sysco Frosted Foods. And my wine doesn't cost $9 a glass.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Eating out is more than just about the food. We are eating out regularly and will continue to do so.
+1

We love to eat at restaurants! We have eaten lunch out for 15 of the past 18 days since the restriction against eating at/inside restaurants was lifted, here.

Luckily restaurant prices are back to normal by now, where they were before the lockdown. Still, we have always felt that eating lunch out is more economical for us than eating dinner out. If I don't have leftovers from lunch to eat, then I cook dinner at home. Often I grill something like steak, pork, hamburger, or fish on my electric grill.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm never going to the opera again. I've been once and that was enough -
I love the opera. For many years, the young wife and I had a subscription to the Metropolitan Opera in NYC. On seven Thursdays over the course of the season (about once a month), she would come on the Metro-North train into the City after work and meet me at my midtown office. We would have dinner at a nice restaurant, go to the Lincoln Center for the opera and then stay at one of the midtown hotels (our favorite was the Algonquin). In the morning, I would walk with her over to Grand Central, from whence she would reverse commute back out to Connecticut to go to work. Then I'd go back to my office. We saw many of the most famous operas and singers. Such great memories! I have to tell you, Robbie, it was also blowing the dough mightily.