Metal Detecting

Lloydwtaylor

Dryer sheet wannabe
Always wanted to get one and finally did in September. Man do I love it, I'm obsessed with it. Living by the beach in Delaware I have lots of places to go and have been having some luck. I will never get rich but I may pay off my machine someday. Here are my findings from the past two days. Anybody else out there loving this hobby? IMG_2269.JPGIMG_2264.JPGIMG_2250.JPG

Been wanting one of these since I was a kid. Thanks for rekindling that desire.

That's cool. Did you find this with a hobby class detector?

You may never need to buy lead fishing weights again!

I'll get a metal detector when I fully retire. I live near a college campus where there is lots of tailgating. I figure that's got to be some fertile ground for finding stuff.

I'll get a metal detector when I fully retire. I live near a college campus where there is lots of tailgating. I figure that's got to be some fertile ground for finding stuff.
Yeah - pop tabs and bottle caps. :)

Been doing this off on on for a couple of decades.
It took me a long time to find a silver dime so you did real well. I had found a lot of silver rings and quite a few gold rings but not a silver coin for the longest time. Haven't been out for maybe a year. Keep meaning to go out again.

Other than the beach. Where have you guys found the most "fertile" ground to be?

Farm fields yield tons of stuff, most do better then I do but plenty to dig.

When DW was a kid on an Ohio farm, she used to walk the fields to see what got turned up by her dad's plow. She still has a big box full of arrowheads and other Indian artifacts, as well as loads of fossil trilobites.

Other than the beach. Where have you guys found the most "fertile" ground to be?

In terms of density it was round a basketball court. Not much of value but I pulled out coin after coin in the grass edge around a small court. I would do 30 mins after work and have 50 coins. Quite a lot of pennies though. I hoped for a ring day after day but just got coins.
For rings I just beat the hell out of a park with lots of traffic. Grid it off with a line and try to cover it all. I would take pictures of the line end to know where I was each day.

I bought a Whites MX Sport mid range one might say $799 if I remember

That's fantastic. Way back in the sawmill days we scanned Walnut logs for metal. The hobby machines back then were useless for the job, as I learned. We were using stuff an old timer was making in his garage. He had w*rked on the military detectors during WWII. These things were awesome, some days they would pick up stuff 3' down in the ground. The next day you couldn't find the same piece of metal.

You would be surprised how many oddball items we found. A 16" metal wagon wheel was completely grow over, we didn't need a detector for that.

Many, many years ago I had a Whites detector. After searching fields, pastures, and other flat areas, and after finding bottle-cap after bottle-cap, I almost gave up. However, I sat down to think about where, exactly, "old coins" might be found?

The idea I came up with was to search the library and local Historical Society for references to locations where there were old amusement parks, and fairgrounds. Think 1800's to early 1900's. It took some sleuthing, but I found several. On visiting the sites, I tried to imagine how the fairground was laid out. In some cases there were structures still in place. Decrepit and rotting, but, still there.

I found many coins, bracelets, rings, etc. These finds sure beat the bottle-caps in the fields!!! I also found one amusement park that still had the infrastructure for a very old roller coaster. Big thick trees and shrubbage growing up and over the top of it. The ticket booth (or at least I assumed it was the ticket booth) was right across from an old gate leaning in on the entrance to the roller coaster. I scanned around the area and inside the rotting ticket booth and found lots of silver!!!

If I were still doing this, I would probably start again with the library and Historical Society to gather intel. I would try to think of any venue where old time coinage was exchanged, and then focus my efforts on those areas. Amusement parks and fairgrounds "way back then" exchanged coinage for the right to take the ride. Wherever coinage is exchanged, you stand a great chance of picking up what someone else dropped...........

Many, many years ago I had a Whites detector. After searching fields, pastures, and other flat areas, and after finding bottle-cap after bottle-cap, I almost gave up. However, I sat down to think about where, exactly, "old coins" might be found?

The idea I came up with was to search the library and local Historical Society for references to locations where there were old amusement parks, and fairgrounds. Think 1800's to early 1900's. It took some sleuthing, but I found several. On visiting the sites, I tried to imagine how the fairground was laid out. In some cases there were structures still in place. Decrepit and rotting, but, still there.

I found many coins, bracelets, rings, etc. These finds sure beat the bottle-caps in the fields!!! I also found one amusement park that still had the infrastructure for a very old roller coaster. Big thick trees and shrubbage growing up and over the top of it. The ticket booth (or at least I assumed it was the ticket booth) was right across from an old gate leaning in on the entrance to the roller coaster. I scanned around the area and inside the rotting ticket booth and found lots of silver!!!

If I were still doing this, I would probably start again with the library and Historical Society to gather intel. I would try to think of any venue where old time coinage was exchanged, and then focus my efforts on those areas. Amusement parks and fairgrounds "way back then" exchanged coinage for the right to take the ride. Wherever coinage is exchanged, you stand a great chance of picking up what someone else dropped...........

This is a great idea. Maybe scout out old taverns, houses of ill repute....

Along the line of amusement park locations, try lots where the circus use to come to town, as well as church bazaars.

Have you seen the BBC show Detectorists? It's one of my favorite shows. It's on Netflix and Hulu.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom