Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Monthly spending money?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

This discussion on spending money started when Greg saw my credit card bill. I had just bought all new curtains and two new lamps for the living room, dining room and computer room. He wrote on the outside: Holy crapola Martha!

Now Greg would use old blankets or cardboard for curtains. He just doesn't spend money on "stuff."

So we have to reach some sort of agreement on what can be spent no questions asked.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Now Greg would use old blankets or cardboard for curtains. He just doesn't spend money on "stuff."
It's a guy thing. If I was in charge of our home's décor I'd still be mulling whether or not to get doors for the bathrooms.

Luckily spouse has taken over not only décor & tchotchkes but also dusting, so I don't have to sweat any of it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely, the owner of the tchotchkes should be responsible for dusting...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
It's a guy thing. If I was in charge of our home's décor I'd still be mulling whether or not to get doors for the bathrooms.

Luckily spouse has taken over not only décor & tchotchkes but also dusting, so I don't have to sweat any of it.
Yes, i remember your post where you said you would sell the tchotchkes or give them away if your wife died.

I think Mrs. Greg and Mrs. Nords go a long way in preserving the market value of their homes.

I'll be glad to dust.

I want a budget for tchotchke's, goos and salves, little gifts, and ladies lunches.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Each of us has $150 a month "personal spending money".
This is in addition to mutually agreed "discretionary spending", where for example DW has her haircut and color and massages and I have my airplane expenses. We track everything in Quicken.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

How about 200-250 a month?

Old 12-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tend to take a simplistic approach. Pay all the essentials and if there is anything left I can choose to indulge a bit. Right now I am living off of AT monies and trying to grow the IRA's & 401K. The less I waste now the longer the growth period. The longer the growth period, the more discretionary income there will be. I tend to be low mtc and not into frivolous spending. Once I start the SWR of 4% there should be more than $1500 a month not spoken for. If I downsize housing that goes up substantially. Month in & month out I doubt I could spend any more $500 a month on what nots & lunches. So, unless I learn to share more with the kiddo's, socialize and shop more then the money will just pile up and my kids can FIRE the day I turn up my toes. Hopefully in 2 or 3 decades.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #28

Quote:
How about 200-250 a month?
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :P Would I get the same amount?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
For sure, if Martha went back to work!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I gotta know Greg, does the $1500 fund 6 months for you or 3 months for each ?

I'm feeling a little guilty about a small windfall I came across a while back. :
HelpMeRhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda
I gotta know Greg, does the $1500 fund 6 months for you or 3 months for each ?

I'm feeling a little guilty about a small windfall I came across a while back. :
In all twisted seriousness, what's mine is her's. We've been married too long to separate out differences or sources of income now. The sold item that made the $1500 was not an item that I owned before the marriage. (But I do think I sold it for a decent profit.) So in some way or another half is hers. Maybe all if she can make a good or fun argument for it. A laugh is worth a lot.

PS, Martha I'm thinking you can have it all if you'll pay me an allowance for making you laugh. I would prefer a piece work rate. Plus, I want an advance and retainer today. How about $1500? To start?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

We still have separate accounts for checks and investment but I manage it all and we take turns funding expenses out of each checking account. We track expenses monthly with an outlook for YE. If the outlook is above budget, we have a conversation about causes and potential corrections.

Windfalls such as income tax refunds just go into the investment account. If we run under budget, we don't take any corrective actions.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
For sure, if Martha went back to work!
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! I think that's something nobody wants--even me. I think it's more a case of me trying to expand money for mutual entertainment by an attempted reductions in private entertainment. Martha wants it all--no work, lots of expensive vacations, pampering, and me not cutting her hair (don't we all?); I'm just trying to bring a little reality to the situation--maybe, kinda . . . maybe not :. If we budget more on personal allowances, we spend less on vacations and stuff.

And, yes, I am trying to control shape our future--somewhat, kinda, for sure. But not in a nasty, argumentative way. We talked about Nord's comments last evening. More tonite after reviewing posts.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #34

Now that I know we don't have to value the "health and beauty" category equally ...

I'm trying to come up with a real answer and it is hard to do as neither of us spends tons of money seperately and almost all of it goes on the credit card. The best answer I can say is that whenever I take $200 out of the ATM he gets about $140 of it and I get the rest and we run out at about the same time. He stops by the coffee shop for a coffee and scone on the days he walks to work and occasionally buys a newspaper, but other than that I can't think of much seperate stuff to account for. I spend some out with the ladies, but its generally not that much.

We obviously don't have a problem with it, but I think couples who do (I know a few) should get a set amount of money per month that they don't have to account for.

BTW, HA - yes, I fully agree that women should get enough money to look their best for "bimbo defense"
Old 12-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We talked about Nord's comments last evening.  More tonite after reviewing posts. 
I've heard of couples whose only communication is via email.  I'm glad to see, G & M, that this forum is not your only means of communication. 
Old 12-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #36

Quote:

G: WTHeck. You don't need that . . . . if you get that then you have to go look at shotguns with me.

M: OK

G: Here's a nice 20 gauge. We could start bird hunting, get some exercise in the fall.

M: I like this little one. It fits better.

G: Naaaa. That's a .410. You could shoot me right in the face with that and I wouldn't even feel it.
Ouch, that hurts. Tell that to the rabbits, partridge and squirrels who've made it onto the dinner table, curtesy of my ol' .410.
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

We couldn't conceive of separate "Fun" funds, or any type of division of finances. About 10 years ago, she took over the checkbook (bill paying) in exchange for my cleaning the cat boxes (we had alot at the time). Seems like a good deal to me to this day. I like to tease about "When do I get my next allowance", but it's more of an inside joke than anything else. We each try to have about 4 c-notes in our respective wallet/purse for emergency gottahavits that require quick cash. OTOH it's not my fault that she provides for my every want, need, and desire, including about 2-4 new guitars per year whether I need them or not. She is just about making sure I have any and all toys I want. I do the same do support her hobbies and collections.

We do have one agreed upon rule. Any item that can be construed as a "Tool" is purchased immediately without any budget considerations whatsover by either of us together, separately, or diagonally.

So far we've never dipped into our savings, so that is slowly growing, and all expenses are met; with some never calculated unknown precisely to us Money-for-whatever-seems-like-fun-stuff left over that we use to support our consumer economy.

P.S. Ebay is Evil 8) :
Old 12-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #38

Quote:
This discussion on spending money started when Greg saw my credit card bill. I had just bought all new curtains and two new lamps for the living room, dining room and computer room. He wrote on the outside: Holy crapola Martha!
We're still fighting over the curtains too. Last nite I glanced over at the curtains and saw 'Fidel Castro' where one part of the curtain flower design folded over another. I pointed that out to The Martha and she denied its existence. After pointing it out from up close, she agreed it might be a person's face but NOT Fidel's. This went back and forth for for 2-3 minutes while a series of commercials aired on TV, with my accusations shrilled to the point point of saying she might be a latent Marxist AND a feminist. She stated it might be the Beaver from "Leave it to . . . . This quieted me down as I looked deep into the curtains for more signs of Beaverhood. New TV program . . . off on another tangent. 8)
Old 12-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #39

We have one checking account which I generally manage, although we have two checkbooks. DW retired earlier this year but the financial agreements are still in place; we each will buy anything we want up to $100 without consulting each other, over that we need to discuss & agree. And we each have a "mad money" account with $100 a month added to it (@$3K right now for each of us) which we can spend on anything we want period. Cost of wife's hair do's is a family expense; the family is much happier when Mom is happy.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:28 AM   #40

I think settling on $100/mo. sounds good (We'll see how it works anyway.). It's usually pretty easy to just withdraw that amount early each month, and I won't have to identify it in the checkbook as anything more than a cash withdrawal. I usually take whatever money I have at the end of the day and throw it in a change dish. DW just takes what she needs and if more than a few bucks lets me know so that I'm not surprised to find nothing left. If we run out before the end of the month, it gives me something to niggle about.