More on Overseas Medical Care...

The real issue is who pays for what.  Oregon had a public health plan where x$ were allocated, then used a ranking system based on the cost effectiveness of a treatment to restore subscribers to health/ functionality or provide pain relief.  A line was drawn on the list where the money ran out. That meant that it paid for some treatments but not for others.  The Feds said it violated the Medicaid law.  The net effect is that fewer could be enroled, more folks are out there with no insurance- either getting no care, 'charity' care from hospitals who must pass that cost on to users who do pay, or families are driven to bankruptsy.

I have no issue with people who want to pay through insurance or otherwise for unproven treatments, expensive treatments, or treatments that will extend their lives for a brief time. I just don't want the community to spend it's money that way when the result is that others don't receive basic care.

Howard said:
dougdo, why did you want a non metal Hip, are you under the impression that she would not need a revision?

I am very familiar with Orthopedics and Impants, I would have no problem with a metal joint??

You are in BC, there is  a very good Orthopod in Campbell River, Dr Deke Botsford, a real bright star he preferred the lifestyle out West to Fame and Glory.

She did want a metal implant. She wanted the implant with the bigger hip joint which allowed more mobility and lasts longer (she's just 67). The standard hip replacement i believe is at least partially plastic. Anyway, she's happy with the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom