Most Peaceful Nations

That list seems to me to be very politically motivated when it comes to rankings, Trek. I'm not surprised to see the U.S. rated that low when points are deducted for things like "Potential for Terrorist Acts," "Military Capability," "UN and non-UN Deployments," etc. Being a terrorist target is not something this country is responsible for; that's the result of an Arab inferiority complex that's been building for hundreds of years (and their perception of the relationship between Israel and the U.S.). "Military Capability" is not an inherently bad thing...it's a means of making a country safer for its citizens. Being the "World's Policeman" is a two-edged sword...the rest of the world either can't, or won't, take on the responsibility and when we try to do the right thing we get blamed.

IMO, the whole ranking is biased.

For Pete's sake, Norway has a HUGE problem with its Muslim population these days. It is has violent Muslim ghettos and the government is at a loss as to how to solve the problem.

Not picking on you, Trek...thanks for posting the results because they are interesting. I'm just a whole lot cynical about why the US is number 96 because I feel a lot safer here than I've felt in many of the countries that are listed above us.

I know. Every statistic is biased one way or another. Take it with a grain of salt. I just thought it was something interesting for people to read. :) Though I do feel way safer walking the street of my city here than I would in any comparable sized city in the US. As far as street crime is concerned.

I know. Every statistic is biased one way or another. Take it with a grain of salt. I just thought it was something interesting for people to read. :) Though I do feel way safer walking the street of my city here than I would in any comparable sized city in the US.
I've been following your comments about your life there and I find it all to be fascinating. Best of luck to you.

As for the rankings, sometimes things like this tell us more about the pollsters than it does about the results. There's just too much room for subjective judgment in this one for me to trust it...but it is always kind of fun to read these things.

I've been following your comments about your life there and I find it all to be fascinating. Best of luck to you.

Much appreciated and back at ya. If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods look me up and I'll buy ya an ice cold vodka shot. :)

The day after that "study" came out, Norway gave $10 million in support to the Palestinians.

Well, at least that what I remember reading. My short term memory is shot so I may have the details wrong.

Mike D.

My town is pretty peaceful

For daily life it really doesn't matter how peaceful a country is. What matters more is how peaceful your neighborhood is. The USA is a pretty big place and what happens 3000 miles away really doesn't affect me all that much.

As for the rankings, sometimes things like this tell us more about the pollsters than it does about the results. There's just too much room for subjective judgment in this one for me to trust it...but it is always kind of fun to read these things.

Exactly. Take these ranking with a LARGE grain of salt.

For Pete's sake, Norway has a HUGE problem with its Muslim population these days. It is has violent Muslim ghettos and the government is at a loss as to how to solve the problem.
Is there a country nowadays where these people are not a problem ? Why do people emigrate to countries where they cannot assimilate ?

I guess that I will cross Iraq off my list.

Peaceful nations

I'm with you islandboy. They leave their country of origin annd oftentimes migrate and live as if they were on their own island. But then when I look at neighborhoods in New york it's that way with all the cultures, Irish,Italian,Korean,Chinese,Orthodox Jews,Arabic,Hispanic. I feel if you were daring enough to leave your place of birth then you should embrace others who have done the same. Maybe I'm too idealistic

Is there a country nowadays where these people are not a problem ? Why do people emigrate to countries where they cannot assimilate ?

i think you underestimate how much people do not usually want to leave home - there are usually a lot of factors that cause people to want to leave. war, violence, poverty or discrimination being huge factors.

i also think your post is a bit harsh/narrow since people often also experience harsh discrimination in their new countries...

Why do people emigrate to countries where they cannot assimilate ?

Why do they need to assimilate? Besides learning English, what would like these people to do? Change their religion?, eat the food you like?, dress the way you do? Not being a wise ass, but what exactly do you mean by "assimilate" and why should new immigrants need to conform?

Not sure when your family got to this country, but even if they came over on the Mayflower, they are all immigrants - and from what I have read about the early settlements, not too many Englishmen decide to adopt the Native American culture once they got here either...

Besides making an effort to speak English(which is more of a practical concern than an assimilation), it doesn't bother me a bit if people want to hold onto their own culture when they come here.

I see a lot of American culture...I am not sure we need any more folks adopting it...

16,185 MURDERS; 92,837 RAPES A YEAR IN USA...

"More murders and robberies in 2006 sent U.S. violent crimes higher for the second straight year..."
"Cities with big increases in the number of murders included Orlando and Miami in Florida; Oakland and San Diego in California; Phoenix, Arizona; Corpus Christi, Texas; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Reno, Nevada and Little Rock, Arkansas."

Seems the ranking isn't too far off, most unfortunately. :(

Back
Top Bottom