Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Motorhome purchase? Pros/Cons!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:54 AM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Another issue when considering an RV are saftey and durability issues. As far as I know, there are no particular safety standards that rvs must meet as rvs. There is RVIA, the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association, but I don't think that they have any specific safety standards. The feds don't test rvs for safety.

Some have concerns that certain rvs break up too easily in event of an accident. www.rv.org is a consumer rating association, though some have questioned its ratings as based on inadequate information.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Some have concerns that certain rvs break up too easily in event of an accident.*
...a primary reason for my selecting a class C Lazy Daze, following the footsteps (tire treads?) of Andy Baird and other sages of on-the-road living.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogBlogger
...a primary reason for my selecting a class C Lazy Daze, following the footsteps (tire treads?) of Andy Baird and other sages of on-the-road living.
Us too! We have a LazyDaze as well. I have recommended Andy's website on this forum before, to follow his journey into ER without big bucks. http://www.andybaird.com/travels/fulltime/index.html

His most recent update: http://www.andybaird.com/travels/life05/index.html

Old 02-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for that link Martha, he's an interesting fella and I love reading his adventures.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

So without wading through all 9 pages. has anyone addressed the question: Is there a 'best' place to shop for a gently used RV? How about those havens were people go to die like FL, AZ? Can't help but that estate offerings, need to cash out, can't pass the driver test anymore may offer an opportunity to get a better price than might be found elsewhere in the states.

Anyone?

dc
Dogcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcliff
So without wading through all 9 pages. has anyone addressed the question: Is there a 'best' place to shop for a gently used RV?*
I've purchased through eBay, although only because the unit was local and thus easily inspected. http://rvtraderonline.com works. Also, visit your local seniors-only neighborhood where gently-used units can be found, often at discount. This also worked for me.

FlogBlog
Old 02-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #127
Dryer sheet wannabe

Send a message via AIM to Bayfield40

As a matter of fact, we are currently RV shopping. We sold everything last year and moved aboard our 40' sailboat and have recently experienced some health issues. Therefore, we felt selling the boat and getting a 30-38' Class A would be a good compromise. We like to move around, see new places, we can still "cruise" coastal areas and pull a small car/boat/moped... Also less heavy work to be done, i.e. hauling water and fuel, contorting into small engine compartments or upside down by one leg in the bilge fixing the bilge pump... DH is a former mechanic and has lots of skills so maintenance should not be any more of an issue as it was on the boat except for accessibility. We are looking at that size rig around 10 years old and all we have chosen so far are under $30,000. Some have mentioned the issue of the 5th wheel and buying a new rig when needed... aren't those heavy duty pickups just as expensive? PLUS the original cost of your 5th wheel? Just an observation. We don't mind the stopping along the road thing when necessary and would probably do alot of the state parks to start with. Other than fuel, can't imagine the costs would differ much from what we experienced on the boat. As much as I love my boat, it seems that we picked an bad time to live aboard as hurricane seasons don't look to improve any time soon. It will be nice to not have to worry so much about the weather!
Bayfield40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayfield40
... aren't those heavy duty pickups just as expensive? PLUS the original cost of your 5th wheel?*
Short answer: no.

For complete discussions of all-things-RV related, I recommend switching forums: http://escapees.infopop.cc/groupee/forums
Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buying used RV's is more an art form than a science.
Some of the most frequented alternatives include
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used_rvs_for_sale.htm
http://www.rv-online.com/
http://www.rvtrader.com/
http://www.rvsearch.com/
pplmotorhome is a great resource to check values.* Most who have bought from them seem satisfied.* Go to http://www.rv.net/forums/ and check out the sections for Class A and Class C.
If you are just getting started, read the moderators sticky link for First Time Buyers.* Lots of good info. Look for the buyers check list and be sure to use.* Like buying a used car, it is buyer beware and education is your best weapon.
Good luck
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:13 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks,
Martha, FlogBlogger & other chaps for all good links.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

I second Steve's recommendation to read www.rv.net/forums/. When you have an idea for a potential RV, you can post questions about it on the forum. Also, searching for information is pretty easy. I learned a lot there when we were shopping.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #132
Dryer sheet wannabe

My husband's industry has gone overseas. About 5 years ago after plant closings etc. we fulltimed in a 40' 5th wheel for almost a year. Then back to a house. We now find ourselves almost back to being unemployed again. We will sell our main house, keep the small 55+ house rented and RV again. We both have "hitch itch" and no way to cure it. I feel that for many people it is truly a lifestyle choice. The economica may indeed not make sense from the depreciation standpoint. I guess we could rent an apartment for the same amount of money but then the view out the window would never change.
sewinglady26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Resuscitating an old RV thread....
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Resuscitating an old RV thread....

Garrison Keillor, The motor home fades into the sunset | Salon

Is the motor home becoming extinct?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #134
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Is the motor home becoming extinct?
Not exactly extinct, but it may be appearing on the endangered species list in the near future...
Old 06-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not exactly extinct, but it may be appearing on the endangered species list in the near future...
Hard to tell. More likely, I think the industry will adapt. Instead of selling 30+ foot Class Cs and monster class As, I think you will see more lightweight trailers, camping vans (Class B), and similar stuff. That's apparently what is popular in Europe, where fuel prices have been much higher than what Merkins are used to for a long time.

And it is worth keeping things in perspective. We only get 13MPG when towing our trailer, but next weekend we are going to a county park about an hour away. We will burn less than 10 gallons of gasoline and the park fees will be under $40. What's the last time you went away for a weekend with two adults, two kids and two dogs for $80?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

You'd have to give me a lot more than $80...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Nah, they'll not become extinct, but you'll just use them to go places closer to home.

We love ours, but we don't expect to drive it cross country anytime soon, what with that amazing 11 mpg it gets! And when we take it to the music festival next month, we'll have 2-3 extra passengers to help chip in on the gas.
But having your own bed and bathroom in the midst of hippie madness--priceless!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

In my case a year ago we were almost sure we'd be purchasing a Class A motorhome after FIRE as a means to adventure, visit the kids, etc.

The events of the past 6 months or so have pretty much convinced us to hang on to our TrailManor collapsible RV and stick to a 500 mile radius most of the time. I try to imagine anything that might change my mind but even if you buy used, the arithmetic just doesn't pass the test for us.

Maybe gas prices will dip, but even then they are sure to rise again. Resale will be all but impossible. Only hope is that what's left of the industry will come up with some 15-20 MPG solutions in a couple of years.

If I already owned a class A I'd be happily using it as much as the budget would permit. But buying one now -- probably not. FWIW, Berkshire Hathaway bought Forest River, an RV manufacturer, about 3 years ago.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

I live in a coastal area with some large bays that are handy for boating. A neighbor who is an avid sea kayaker mentioned the other day that it is a lot more pleasant to go kayaking because the population of inconsiderate power boaters is greatly reduced since gas shot up. I certainly noticed fewer boats the last time I went saltwater fishing.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
... next weekend we are going to a county park about an hour away. We will burn less than 10 gallons of gasoline and the park fees will be under $40. What's the last time you went away for a weekend with two adults, two kids and two dogs for $80?
Yep. We spent last weekend in our Class A at an nice RV park on a lake 12 miles from the house (with our 3 grandsons and their parents in the RV next to us). Burned less than 4 gallons of diesel for the round trip. Like many RVers, we're adjusting our thinking to do more within a short distance of home and plan to take only one or two big trips each year, staying on the road longer whenever we go for distance.

Example: Next month we're heading on a three week 2,000 mile round trip to the cool mountains of NM and CO. I'm estimating the cost of fuel and park fees will average less than $85 day. We're budgeting to do that a couple of times a year and, if all goes well, work that three week thing into a month or longer next time.

It's all good...