Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
For those of you who don't RV full-time, where do you store those beasts? RVing appeals to me, but my HOA regs prevent me from parking one on the street in front of my house.
Our HOA allows parking recreational vehicles (boats, travel trailers, etc.) beside or behind the house along as it is out of view of the street. Lots in the subdivision are 3-5 acres in size, so it isn't usually a problem.

Quote:
Maybe we'll have to look into one of the smaller Sprinter-based units, or a trailer that could fit in the garage...
The Sprinter-based units have a lot of appeal but pay close attention to the cargo carrying capability of your unit. We saw some which after loaded with fuel and water were within a couple of hundred pounds of being maxed out on weight. Once you, your SO and some groceries were loaded on board you were over the limit for the chassis. Not good...

Maybe Rich will chime in on his Trailmaster travel trailer. We're in a RV park right now in the mountains of New Mexico parked next to one of those models and it looks really neat.

(Sorry Milton, not a scrubby, lawn chair sitting, overweight, smoking, junk food eating American in sight )
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
Personally, I don't 'get' the RV lifestyle. Based upon this article [globeandmail.com: The end of the road], it seems to consist of obese elderly people driving gas-guzzling behemoths 'rigs' from scrubby trailer park to distant scrubby trailer park (with perhaps a few overnight stops at empty Walmart parking lots en route), where they plunk down their oversized persons in lawn chairs and smoke and consume junk food. To each their own, I guess.

Brings to mind another quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton
Ignorance of other cultures is regrettable. Boastful ignorance is shameful.

Dang! That's gonna leave a mark!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
For those of you who don't RV full-time, where do you store those beasts? RVing appeals to me, but my HOA regs prevent me from parking one on the street in front of my house.

Maybe we'll have to look into one of the smaller Sprinter-based units, or a trailer that could fit in the garage...
Yes, a big problem for city dwellers. You can rent space ranging from $100 per month (security fenced lot) to $280 (indoor with hookups). Sprinters are fine but very small - we traded ours in on a larger trailer.

Our ultimate solution is to store this in our driveway under a tarp. We have a 2008 3124KS. Love it - tow it with a Toyota Sequoia.

P.S.
At the moment we are parked in REW's driveway (he's away) and are using his bathrooms, kitchen and air conditioning. Only thing missing is a sewer hookup, but with that big yard of his we figure he'll never notice if we dump the black tank far enough from his house. This is our best RV trip ever. I love America.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

P.S.
At the moment we are parked in REW's driveway (he's away) and are using his bathrooms, kitchen and air conditioning. Only thing missing is a sewer hookup, but with that big yard of his we figure he'll never notice if we dump the black tank far enough from his house. This is our best RV trip ever. I love America.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Just be careful when dumping and watch out for the snakes, chiggers, and fire ants in that back yard.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #186
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Our ultimate solution is to store this in our driveway under a tarp. We have a 2008 3124KS. Love it - tow it with a Toyota Sequoia.
That looks really nice. My current SUV could probably tow it, too. Hmm, I wonder if it would fit in the garage? Probably so, since I'd imagine it's not much wider than a typical SUV.

Quote:
P.S.
LOL!
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That looks really nice. My current SUV could probably tow it, too. Hmm, I wonder if it would fit in the garage? Probably so, since I'd imagine it's not much wider than a typical SUV.
Yes, some models fit into standard garages. In fact, most do. Mine is one of the larger models so it's in the driveway. Very ingenious when you see how it folds up and down using a tortion bar. A 1-person, 15 minute chore at most.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #188

Quote:
P.S.
If you were retired, I'd probably believe you.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #189
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Man oh man. I almost choked on my Big Mac Double Cheeseburger and fell out of my doublewide lawn chair when I read this!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Minimal footprint and maximum contact with the surroundings. E.g., kiyaking, canoeing, hiking, and bicyling would all qualify (hunting, power boating, bus touring, etc. would not).
I bet my lifestyle footprint is smaller than yours since I don't own or live in a house.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
Just be careful when dumping and watch out for the snakes, chiggers, and fire ants in that back yard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Man oh man. I almost choked on my Big Mac Double Cheeseburger and fell out of my doublewide lawn chair when I read this!
Dang, REWahoo, what a thoughtful environmental steward you are. I never imagined that you'd find a way to keep the rattlers, chiggers, & fire ants fed & entertained while you were gone...

You're gonna have have to PM Rich the combination to the gun safe so that he can set up a little pork BBQ for your return.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #192
Moderator Emeritus

Before we moved down here we had to store the motorhome. Now we have it safe and sound in the backyard. I can use the savings in storage fees to pay for more fuel.

Here is a shot of the backyard.

And like Audrey said; we don't have a ratty trailer; have only been in a few really run down RV parks; don't stay at WalMart but have stayed in a few truck stops. We aren't all that overweight (DW is underweight) and while we aren't able to do very active things due to her disability, we still get out and do things besides vegetating in a zero gravity recliner with a bratwurst in one hand and a Bud in the other. Not that there is anything wrong with brats in small doses. Bud is a beverage that resembles beer but is not real beer. You don't put corn and rice in real beer.

Oh, our next trip starts in 2 weeks. We have some medical visits up North and will combine those with several campground and RV park visits including a drive over the Cascades to a RV Resort at Newport, OR. Not exactly trailer trash traveling.

I don't apologize for my chosen lifestyle. We traded up from a mountain cabin with one view to a mobile one with unlimited views. The living space is almost the same but the views are whatever we want them to be and with a 8 foot by 5 foot windsheild...that makes one nice picture window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bus at home.jpg (100.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #193

Nice rig! Nice pool! Nice view! Nice shade!
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #194
Full time employment: Posting here.

I apologize if this information has already been posted.

Rving continues to be less expensive as a vacation choice than those of staying in hotels and eating out.

See Road Trip

And RVIA

As a lifestyle footprint I agree with Audrey. It was our experience that, overall, we consumed less and impacted the environment less than those who lived in a brick and mortar home owning 2 cars, having pets, and driving to and from work each day.

As a lifestyle, RVing gives great choice.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement
Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #195

Wow Steve, I was going to ask what resort you were staying at till I read your message.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Steve, ya up for a party?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Steve, ya up for a party?
This could get ugly...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

This thread is titled Pros and Cons of Motorhome Purchase. But is seems that most posts are definitely pro. Motor home buyers must be a very satisfied lot.

Ha
Old 07-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

I think most folks who aren't interested in this lifestyle just don't open the thread.

Except me.

I see the allure, and when was young my dad and mom would rent a trailer or MH every year for our vacation. We had fun, but I remember that the MHs were loud (lots of rattles from the vehicle, windows, cabinets, dishes, etc), ponderous, and got terrible mileage. I'm sure some of these attributes are lacking in the modern, $125K+ motorhomes.

My wife is not a camper, even the type of "camping" done in a Class A motorhome. So, we drive and check into a hotel. Lots of choices as to where to stay, and an easy-to-maneuver vehicle to see the sights.

If it were up to me, I'd probably still do the low-cost hotels for trips to the city, and get a small teardrop trailer for something closer to camping. In our case, the $$ spent on a nice MH wouldn't be worth it.

What I'd build:
It's got an icebox, stove, sink (7 gal of water), a place to sleep, and a small chemical toilet. Total weight: Less than 1000 lbs. Tow it with a minivan. $2000 in material.

Plans: http://www.kuffelcreek.com/8'_cubby.htm

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #200
gone traveling

Turned 50 yesterday. DW gave me a great BD present- she rented a 39' Class A Diesel Motorhome for a week in October- we pick it up in Philadelphia, will spend a week in the New England States looking at the fall colors, return it to PHL, then fly back home to PHX.
Anyone have any ideas about what to see and where to stay? I don't want to get up there and find all the parks full when we roll in at night, don't want to have to park at Walmart; according to our resident Canadian expert on American culture, I'd probably take up chain smoking, guzzling cheap beer, and eating supersized fast food meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, while lounging in my worn-out lawn chair wearing a sweat stained wife beater undershirt and watching VHS tapes of Jerry Springer reruns...... Would greatly appreciate any and all travel tips, sightseeing advice, attractions, etc- neither of of has spent any significant time east of the Mississippi, if you exclude business trips.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote