Join Early Retirement Today

Move preparation tips
Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Move preparation tips

I know there are lots of lists on the internet about this but I thought I would get more useful tips here. We’ve moved many times, most recently in 2015, and will be moving again, this time about 100 miles away to a property we purchased in Palm Springs. For those who have moved recently, are there any tips you have that aren’t obvious? Anything that helped make the move process or settling into your new location easier would be interesting. Thanks!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 04:28 AM   #2

After more than 20 moves my wife and I have come up with this system. It works for us.

Moving Tips

Before Moving Day:

1. Go through all of your stuff well in advance of the move, and get rid of the things you don’t want in the new place. Why move it if you will just get rid of it at the other end?

2. Decide what you will move yourself. What vehicles and space are available? Estimate the space required to fit the items in the vehicles. Plan to leave about 25% of the available space empty to allow for extra things you will remember at the last minute.

3. Suggested things NOT to send with the movers:
• Important papers, checkbooks, jewelry
• Medical records, medicines
• Other valuables
• Anything you think is very important, and can squeeze into your vehicles
• Cleaning supplies, vacuum, broom, etc
• Tools. Some can be sent with movers, but you will likely need at least a few basic tools with you as you move and unpack.
• Paint supplies if you will paint before the movers deliver your stuff
• A small number of pots, plates, flatware, glasses, etc., so you will be able to cook and eat simple meals until you unpack the kitchen stuff. Or, use paper/plastic items. You won’t want to eat every meal in a restaurant.
• One telephone. One radio.

On Moving Day:

1. Put everything the movers won’t be packing into a separate closet. Hang a sign on the closet to remind the movers (and you!) not to pack the contents of the closet.

2. Put items together in one location if you want them packed together.

3. The movers will give you an inventory list, but it is nearly useless when you need to find something, or when you want to know what was in the box that got lost. When you are unpacking, you will at times be looking for specific items, and you need to be able to find them. This will allow you to unpack in an organized manner, and greatly reduce the stress. Plus save the time you would waste searching for things.

Create your own inventory list as follows:

• Find out in advance how many packers will be boxing your stuff.
• Have one adult follow each packer. Get a friend to help if necessary.
• As the packers load each box, keep a detailed inventory of the contents. This is critical to finding things at the other end!!!! The more detail, the better. Don’t just write things like “desk drawer items”. You won’t know in advance everything you will want to find, so plan ahead!
• As each box is sealed, put a serial number on the box with a permanent marker. Write the number in 3 places: top, and 2 opposite sides. Then you won’t ever have to turn the box more than 90 degrees to find the number.
• Also put the same serial number on the inventory list next to the contents of the box. Now, you know exactly what is in each box.
• For key items, list them right on the outside of the box so you can find them easier.
• DO NOT list valuable items like jewelry on the outside of the box. That’s an invitation to be stolen. Not usually a problem unless the boxes will go into storage before they are delivered at the new place.
• If you know which room the box will go to at the new place, write that on the box as well.
• When the movers put their inventory stickers on the boxes, add that number to your inventory list. You will be checking each box off on the movers’ list as they come off the truck, and you will usually miss a few. This cross reference will help you find them in the ocean of cardboard.
• Each person keeping an inventory should use serial numbers starting with a different digit. For example: Wife uses numbers in the 100’s, husband in the 200’s, etc. This will help ID which room it came from as well as prevent duplicates.

4. Suggested items to be sure get put on the inventory are:
• Pots, plates, glasses, flatware, etc
• Bedding, towels
• Lamps and bulbs
• Any cleaning supplies that get packed
• Toilet paper, paper towels, rags
• Extension cords, telephones and phone cords
• Anything you think you will need in the first few days after the movers deliver your stuff.
• Clothes by type (underwear, socks, pants, etc. Identify the owner Hers/his, which kid)
• Toiletry items
• Hardware such as picture hangers, nails, screws
• Any tools that you send with the movers
• Records, CDs, TV’s and stereo equipment. You will want tunes while you unpack!
• Computer stuff.

5. Don’t let the packers put containers and lids made of glass, ceramic, or other fragile material together without separating them with packing material. The direct contact will allow rubbing, which will probably cause breakage.

6. The movers will usually only place a piece of furniture once. Plan ahead where you want each item to go.

A little planning ahead will make the move go much smoother, at the old place and the new place. It will always be a pain, but being organized helps a lot. Good luck!
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just moved long distance. One thing I did that worked well was to go through an entire day in my head and notice what things were needed - glasses, handsoap, laptop, coffee, sweetener, cream, mug for each activity. I didn't bother packing it separately but did have a list for it and made sure it was all there before the move. It worked.

The only missing item the first day was a shower curtain. My house had shower doors.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like to have an "unpack me first" box of sheets for my bed, towels and must have shower stuff, nightshift, coffee pot mugs coffee spoons sugat. I can conquer the world if I can sleep clean in my bed and make coffee.

Wal-Mart or zip lock bag your own silverware, fiddly kitchen stuff, knives etc. Roll in a towel and put in a casserole dish or something. Same for undies. Dont want dirty movers hands on my cutlery or my panties.

Don't allow the Packers to wander. Or you'll find a Christmas wreath wrapped in your bathrobe alongside the toilet plunger in a box labeled library.

Keep a sense of humor, a cellphone and a sharpie on you at all times.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #5

Great suggestions! Thank you!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

Put the bed sheets and blankets for each bed into the drawers of dressers/chest of drawers for each respective bedroom. Then, when you're tired, at least you can make the beds without hunting for what boxes to unpack.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #7

DW showed me an idea for packing stuff. We buy a big pack of lunchbags and pack stuff in them. We just used them recently when we had our floors done and had to pack up all the stuff in the china closet and hutches.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I know there are lots of lists on the internet about this but I thought I would get more useful tips here. We’ve moved many times, most recently in 2015, and will be moving again, this time about 100 miles away to a property we purchased in Palm Springs. For those who have moved recently, are there any tips you have that aren’t obvious? Anything that helped make the move process or settling into your new location easier would be interesting. Thanks!
Reduce everything to 3 16x20" bins. We did this once to move to Maui.

3 piles:
1. Trash
2. Donate
3. Keep

We only kept things we did not intend to ever upgrade and rid of everything we didn't think we would need. Kept kitchen utensils, my tools, some workout stuff and then did store a few family heirlooms.

I went on a one month selling spree and people knew to drive by and see what might be by my curb. I gave a lot of decent things away. Literally showed up to the airport with 3 totes... 2 for me and one for the Mrs.

We did lose a lot of value from those "things" and somehow managed to come back mainland and acquire like 3x what we originally had. #kids

I think I have like 5 big wheels in my garage right now.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #9

I was paranoid about the information on the hard drives in our two PCs, so I pulled the drives and stored them in static protected cases that we took with us along with the external hard drives. Worse case the PCs either got damaged or were lost in the move and I would rebuild with the data on the drives.

In addition, I copied everything important onto additional drives. At one point I had *SIX* copies of everything on those hard drives I felt we couldn't afford to lose. As I said, paranoid.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote