Move to Colorado?

Estes Park has now become so crowed that many local people are very unhappy. We get a million visitors a month during high season in a town of 7,500. Hiking trails very crowded. Have to get a reservation to get into the national park. I know several locals who have either left or are thinking about it, including myself. In addition, Colorado politics are changed substantially. As the long term residents here say “ we are becoming mini California “ and that is not a compliment!

Grand Junction, Colorado Springs and Durango are all nice, but I would prefer to live in Ouray or Pagosa Springs. I like the smaller towns, but if I were OP, I would take a look at Durango before Grand Junction and Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is too big and busy.

Grand Junction, Colorado Springs and Durango are all nice, but I would prefer to live in Ouray or Pagosa Springs. I like the smaller towns, but if I were OP, I would take a look at Durango before Grand Junction and Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is too big and busy.

For a population somewhere in between, I think Glenwood Springs (pop. 10K) is a nice town.

Since you're looking for someplace to "hole up" for the pandemic, why not multiple short term rentals? Check out the different areas. It is so easy to do these days

We rented in Denver for a year before buying. In that year, we checked out the various neighborhoods & towns around Denver to determine where we wanted to live.

We love living here in Colorado. Check out the weather though - our summers are short &, of late, very hot & dry. Winters can range from mild to downright frigid, but there are always nice days thrown in. I've bicycled & hiked every month of the year.

Attachments

• Doc_Holliday's_grave.jpeg
    Doc_Holliday's_grave.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 48
Frankly I think you would love Kitsap County. We lived on Banbridge Island for many years. You have choices, Bainbridge is very 'upscale suburban' with lots of Seattle commuters, Pulsbo is a fun town that tries to be a taste of Norway, Bremerton is a Navy town with lots of Navy families, retirees and health services - housing is cheaper there. There is nothing to compare to a dentist who retired from caring for submariners. I adored my dentist. Peninsula Hearing is fantastic, it is owned by a gal who not only has been hard of hearing since childhood but she is a PHD Audiologist. She matched my husband with aids that met his needs. Oh, and the Kitsap County Library is superb. If you need a book from the Seattle Public Library they can arrange it.

If you live on Bainbridge Island and need emergency care air ambulance to a Seattle hospital is a community service.

I agree with the suggestion that you rent for a year in each community BUT moving costs real $.

Although we don't live there any more I don't expect you will find Covid19 deniers or folks who won't wear a mask in Kitsap County. For one thing they won't be permitted on the ferries.

Last edited:
For a population somewhere in between, I think Glenwood Springs (pop. 10K) is a nice town.

Glenwood Springs is indeed very nice. It would be my choice in Colorado if I ever moved back. My old bones miss the Vapor Caves.

I was in CS last June, and drove thru MS out to Garden a couple of times. Retail pot isn't legal in CS - only medical, but it is full on retail in MS, and when you drive from one to the other you can tell. The main road in MS had several pot shops and lots of "420 friendly" airbnb signs. So it seems the MS tourism now is very specific.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I could for sure now tell where CS ends and MS begins!
I need to start hanging out more in Manitou where you can climb the Incline and then light one up for a rocky mountain high...did not notice all the pot stores when I went thru there, but I'm rather ignorant about the pot craze as my teenagers keep telling me

Lived in Colorado for much of three decades and still have friends and family there.

It's all trade-offs and I'm not clear on your priorities. The entire Front Range from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs has very heavy traffic these days - and not just on weekdays or in the summer. You couldn't pay me to live in Boulder (where I lived for the better part of two decades) anymore, despite its incredible amenities.

Manitou Springs is indeed a gem of a place and while it is inundated with tourists on summer weekends it's fine on weekdays and the hiking and biking are excellent. More or less the Boulder of Colorado Springs (for good or ill, depending on your preferences or politics).

Cañon City an hour away from the Springs has the mildest climate in the state and incredible biking and hiking. 15,000 population, very conservative, just OK restaurants but a nice pace of life for retirement (for many).

On the Western Slope I recommend looking at Grand Junction and in some of the nearby wine country and also possibly Paonia.

The entire Front Range from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs has very heavy traffic these days

Even when I lived there in the 70s, people spoke of the developing megalopolis of "Fort Pueblo". That vision continues to evolve.

Continued thanks all!

I think I've eliminated Grand Junction & Durango because I now realize it's important to me to be able to get back to DFW within a day of driving. The I-25 corridor South of Denver should meet that requirement in most any weather.

My next move is not my forever move. In fact, I'm thinking of a 6-month lease. I don't think I'm ready to go full nomad. Having to move every month or two doesn't currently appeal to me. But maybe I'll think more on it; I *do* want to keep the ability to move easily once I get out of this house. (Not collect lots of stuff.)

I'm not yet sure how comfortable I am with smaller cities. I was ready to move to Kitsap pre-pandemic (but it's too far now), and the county population is 250k, and it's close to Seattle, so I'll use that as a rough guide for now. Colorado Springs area feels like a comfortable next step being ~half mil and close to Denver, but I'll still look around the general I-25 corridor.

.... In addition, Colorado politics are changed substantially. As the long term residents here say “ we are becoming mini California “ and that is not a compliment!
Having heard that comment my entire life, I must say, I have never heard it said so kindly before! :LOL:

Estes Park has now become so crowed that many local people are very unhappy. We get a million visitors a month during high season in a town of 7,500. Hiking trails very crowded. Have to get a reservation to get into the national park. I know several locals who have either left or are thinking about it, including myself. In addition, Colorado politics are changed substantially. As the long term residents here say “ we are becoming mini California “ and that is not a compliment!
The last time I was in Estes Park was about 30 years ago. The first time was in 1960 while I was spending the summer at Camp San Malo. I thought it was a great place. I remember going to the historic Park Theater a few times. I would walk the sidewalk to buy roasted corn on the cob at a small stand between some buildings and visit an arcade to play skee ball. As much as I would like I won't be going back. I will relive the memories instead. That seems to be the case for many places I have lived and/or visited in the past.

Cheers!

Two former co-workers bought there. One is full time the other just uses some off season time on their house. I'm glad we didn't, too many people for me.

Last edited:
DH was born and raised in Kitsap county and left in his 40s seeking sunshine. He ultimately found the abundant rain and grey skies left him sad. But when the sun shined, he thought it spectacular and felt he needed more of that.

Estes Park and RMNP are being loved to death: million visitors in July alone.
Hiking trails have lines like an amusement park.
Local residents drive 30 miles to avoid the one grocery store this time of year.
60% of visitors come from the growth along the front range.
A few local residents actually move out of their home and RENT them out.
RMNP can’t handle the volume and so even though you live a mile from the entrance you must have a reservation during the day.

Whatever you do, don’t move a bit further north to Wyoming.

You wouldn’t like it here.

(And we like it that way; that is an old Wyoming joke)

(Wyoming is what CO was 30 years ago. Plus no income tax; no potheads; no people. If you need malls, traffic, crowds to be happy, please do stay in Colorado, however.)

Last edited:
Just recalled. My niece and her hubby bought land in CO with the idea they would retire there. They have spent the past 2 years trying to get approvals and building permits with NO success. It's the old "We won't tell you what the rules are - we'll just tell you when you are trying to break one of our 'double-secret-probation' rules." Worse than Hawaii with probably 50 times the potential living area (16 times if you don't account for areas lost to mountains in either state.)

Something to think about. Hawaii doesn't want anyone to move here. Maybe Colorado is similar. YMMV

Winter of 18-19. It's hard to describe what ten feet of snowfall is like but the sign doesn't lie.IMG_1550779866579.jpeg

30+ years ago, I was staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (where the Shining was filmed - saw a screening of said movie at the Stanley!) Though there was some snow on the mountains, the hotel grounds (and town) were devoid of snow. One night, we got a foot of snow. Though I hate winter, the effect was truly magical. I enjoy snow - from afar or maybe out the window. YMMV

(Wyoming is what CO was 30 years ago. Plus no income tax; no potheads; no people. If you need malls, traffic, crowds to be happy, please do stay in Colorado, however.)

Too late! Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho are on my "maybe someday" radar. But pre-pandemic I was targeting the Seattle area, and now mid-pandemic Colorado seems about as far as I want to go.

I guess I'm used to large population centers, but sooner or later I expect I'll check out less densely populated areas.

However, if I do end up going nomadic–which I'm rather suddenly in the past 24 hours considering–and the rest of family moves to Colorado (a distinct possibility as family is the only thing keeping any of us in DFW in the first place) I may try ranging out within a day's drive from CO.

I actually do know some people who moved from Estes Park to Wyoming just for the reasons we have mentioned. No doubt as Colorado becomes California, Wyoming will become Colorado.

I actually do know some people who moved from Estes Park to Wyoming just for the reasons we have mentioned. No doubt as Colorado becomes California, Wyoming will become Colorado.

I have plenty of Wyoming anecdotes:

My favorite town in Wyoming is Sheridan. It has character, is somewhat remote, but big enough to have adequate services.

Many people do not realize how windy Wyoming is. It's got to be the windiest State in the west. If you don't ever go outside, fine. I worked outside and have lived in every inter-mountain state for my proof.

Also, when I lived in Fort Collins, a reasonable portion of their commercial income was people driving down from Wyoming, as there was not much shopping in Laramie or Cheyenne.

Few live in Wyoming for a reason. I drove to Buffalo for a wedding one summer. I think we saw a tree. Possibly. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom