Moved into CCRC today

My wife and I toured a CCRC today; the prices listed above seem quite low in comparison, but I live in a fairly expensive part of the country (Puget Sound, WA state).

This was quite a nice facility, type 'A', and overall I could see us living there with the caveat that we're 67 and the average age of residents there is 78. You could see the difference just walking around in communal areas --- the occasional walker in use, people moving more slowly, we definitely felt like the young kids there. Lots of smiles, seemed like a nice place, but I'm more than hesitant in moving to somewhere like that now.

My current theory is that we might move to a 55+ community and then in another decade or more, hope that (a) our health is such that we can still be accepted into a CCRC, and (b) that we can find an opening without too long on a waiting list at that time.

It's really a crap-shoot, but I'd rather be somewhere now with a higher energy level with more outdoor activities available.

Can I go OT a little and ask where you start? I'm thinking of moving to Des Moines in the next couple of years to be near DS, DDIL and the grandchildren. There are plenty of places but you have to dig deep in their web sites to find out what it costs and what's included (I'm not ready to supply contact information). I'm thinking a moderate buy-in, maybe refundable within X years if I die or move out, with ongoing rent, Independent Living with the availability of Assisted. If I need LTC I'd rather start over at a new place instead of depend on a facility to stay solvent and to have enough beds in LTC. (Some will send you elsewhere.) I also plan to ask about their track record of increases in the monthly costs. I know Dad's went form $7K/month to $10K during COVID. He died in 2021 and I wonder if they ever reduced it.

Is A Place for Mom a good resource? I know they get referral fees but apparently no cost to me. They have a good on-line questionnaire- and I can get the results by supplying contact info. :rolleyes:Has anyone used them?

My wife and I toured a CCRC today; the prices listed above seem quite low in comparison, but I live in a fairly expensive part of the country (Puget Sound, WA state).

This was quite a nice facility, type 'A', and overall I could see us living there with the caveat that we're 67 and the average age of residents there is 78. You could see the difference just walking around in communal areas --- the occasional walker in use, people moving more slowly, we definitely felt like the young kids there. Lots of smiles, seemed like a nice place, but I'm more than hesitant in moving to somewhere like that now.

My current theory is that we might move to a 55+ community and then in another decade or more, hope that (a) our health is such that we can still be accepted into a CCRC, and (b) that we can find an opening without too long on a waiting list at that time.

It's really a crap-shoot, but I'd rather be somewhere now with a higher energy level with more outdoor activities available.

Might be a good idea to get on the waiting list now. If the wait list is around 10 years you would be 77 when you got in. We are a little younger than the average age here at our CCRC--average age probably late 70s, we are 73 but we seem to fit in fine, there are many our same age and younger too. Right now DH has been one of those with a walker/cane, he just had knee replacement. We just do our thing. The CCRC fitness center is open to the public so there are all ages there (have to be over 18).

I appreciate all your thoughts.

My buddy can afford the 1/2 million entry cost since he is selling a house in our very Hi cost of housing area. Ouch! It hurts just to think about it. And the monthly fee is doable for him thanks to SS at 70 and a small pension. He can afford the place but he won’t bet jetting to Switzerland a few times each year to go skiing for the weekend.

His biggest concern is having to move to another facility if and when he needs more care. In his mind, that conflicts with his #1 reason for choosing the place, its great location where most of what he needs in daily life is within walking distance.

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to get on the waiting list now.

Definitely agree with this. The really nice ones all have wait lists that are years long. It's often said that around 80 is the most typical age for moving in, but in order to do that you have to be on the list.

Most places let you stay on the list until you're ready, but a few will drop you to the bottom of the list if you turn down an offered residence more than a few times. So it's important to fully understand their requirements.

Can I go OT a little and ask where you start? I'm thinking of moving to Des Moines in the next couple of years to be near DS, DDIL and the grandchildren. There are plenty of places but you have to dig deep in their web sites to find out what it costs and what's included (I'm not ready to supply contact information). I'm thinking a moderate buy-in, maybe refundable within X years if I die or move out, with ongoing rent, Independent Living with the availability of Assisted. If I need LTC I'd rather start over at a new place instead of depend on a facility to stay solvent and to have enough beds in LTC. (Some will send you elsewhere.) I also plan to ask about their track record of increases in the monthly costs. I know Dad's went form $7K/month to $10K during COVID. He died in 2021 and I wonder if they ever reduced it.

Is A Place for Mom a good resource? I know they get referral fees but apparently no cost to me. They have a good on-line questionnaire- and I can get the results by supplying contact info. :rolleyes:Has anyone used them?

I am not much help on choosing a CCRC. I knew I wanted to stay in my town and there are 4 CCRCs--I toured them all but after looking at the numbers I decided I wanted a Type A Life Care. My mother is in a fee for services CCRC and it has turned out to be very expensive. If you live a long time and/or have health problems a fee for services is not a good idea. I also wanted a place that had all the services-nice dining, many activities, good fitness center and I wanted the assisted living, skilled nursing, memory care to be in the same building. I definitely would not want to have to move somewhere else for those services. DH stayed in the short term rehab for a week after knee replacement and it was great to be able to just walk to the other side of the building to see him.

Athena, when I needed to find a memory care facility for my friend a place for mom wasn’t helpful at all. It’s been so long that I can’t remember the particulars. I found a decent place that she could afford myself.

Athena, when I needed to find a memory care facility for my friend a place for mom wasn’t helpful at all. It’s been so long that I can’t remember the particulars. I found a decent place that she could afford myself.

Thanks. It may be that the bigger your budget the more options they can find for you! I suspect caring.com will also want contact info before they give up any results but I'll check that and maybe do more research on my own.

Here is another decent list of CCRCs from Newsweek that may be a good starting point. The criteria they used to rate them is shown at the end of the list.

America's Best Continuing Care Retirement Communities 2024

To create the ranking, a score was calculated for each CCRC that was part of the analysis. The total score is based on national online surveys of medical professionals and acquaintances of residents/residents living in CCRCs and accreditation data.

Here is another decent list of CCRCs from Newsweek that may be a good starting point. The criteria they used to rate them is shown at the end of the list.

Thanks! That includes a few communities in the area I'm looking for Unfortunately, no pricing info on the web site of one I checked, but this narrows the search down.

Thanks! That includes a few communities in the area I'm looking for Unfortunately, no pricing info on the web site of one I checked, but this narrows the search down.

The reason it's hard to find prices on a website is because there is a range of entrance fees and monthly fees depending on which entry model and which floorplan you choose. It would probably be very confusing for most people to see all that crammed into one page, so it's best to simply arrange a visit and get the full tour. I've done that at many CCRCs and never experienced a hard sell.

My CCRC is not on that list! But my mother's CCRC is and in my opinion my CCRC is far superior to the one mother is in.

I think that's the same thing as the usual rankings of colleges, hospitals, and the like. Some places simply don't participate in such surveys.

I think that's the same thing as the usual rankings of colleges, hospitals, and the like. Some places simply don't participate in such surveys.

True, but the Newsweek rankings have some surprising entries -- though I haven't studied them in depth. I will point out that the 2nd ranked CCRC on this list recently emerged from Bankruptcy in 2023 and I believe the Dallas Morning News reported on its saga of high growth, unrealistic expectations, and Covid overhang that led to its bankruptcy filing. https://www.dallasnews.com/business...s-edgemere-sale-and-refund-plan-for-families/

In my neck of the woods, Charlotte NC, there are quite a few highly rated CCRCs, including one that I'm waitlisted, that's not of the list (and I am waitlisted on another CCRC that's on the list). The top rated CCRC on the list in Charlotte is Aldersgate, which I have visited, is having major issues and I wouldn't be surprised if the State regulatory authority intervened more directly in its affairs. Aside from the problems it's having with its management, Aldersgate has a depressing institutional feel for it that would not be a choice for us or any of our family members. Here's an article about its current financial managment problems: https://businessnc.com/consistent-l...r-charlottes-aldersgate-retirement-community/

True, but the Newsweek rankings have some surprising entries -- though I haven't studied them in depth.

Any list is only a starting point. Anyone considering a CCRC quickly learns that a lot of research is needed, no matter how good a place looks at first.

Actually it would be nice if those who are already living at CCRC or in waiting list, can share the name of CCRC and the reason why they choose that particular community rather than leaving everyone in the dark to rely on commercial ratings which can be biased. So far I learned where harlee is living and many thanks to her for sharing the info.

Actually it would be nice if those who are already living at CCRC or in waiting list, can share the name of CCRC and the reason why they choose that particular community rather than leaving everyone in the dark to rely on commercial ratings which can be biased. So far I learned where harlee is living and many thanks to her for sharing the info.

Ok. I'm on the waitlist for these two:

https://thecypressofcharlotte.com/

https://www.southminster.org/

We're strongly favoring the first one because of its equity ownership feature, dining plans and services, and a better feel of the place for us, some of which based on personal interactions with residents there. Health care facilities between the two appear very similar, with both having renovated and added new wings to the health care/skilled nursing facilities.

Thanks for the list. It will be interesting to look at as a starting point.

Note: #81 Friendship Village of Schaumburg went bankrupt and was purchased now called Encore.
People who had deposited ~$400k will get maybe 10% back over a long period of time. Lot's of heirs that were screwed out of there promised refund for years are especially bitter.

If I put down a deposit of $500K I'd like to know it's held in trust or something similar so it doesn't disappear 3 days later if they declare bankruptcy..

Thanks for the list. It will be interesting to look at as a starting point.

Note: #81 Friendship Village of Schaumburg went bankrupt and was purchased now called Encore.
People who had deposited ~$400k will get maybe 10% back over a long period of time. Lot's of heirs that were screwed out of there promised refund for years are especially bitter.

If I put down a deposit of $500K I'd like to know it's held in trust or something similar so it doesn't disappear 3 days later if they declare bankruptcy..

I don't think I'd ever be rich enough to be comfortable putting down 500K not knowing they would be there. . . I mean not that i will be rich in any case. . . just too risk averse to plunk down money and hope for the best. I have no heirs so that is not a problem I just don't want them taking my money while I am still alive to need it.

The article ranks Aldersgate in NC pretty high, yet the referenced article appears to indicate they are/were having financial trouble:

When I was growing up, there was huge news about a CCRC in Australia bumping off new residents shortly after they moved in and the owners were pocketing the move-in fee, about half a million dollars for each of these folks. They were caught and went to jail. It left a huge impression on me about CCRCs and as a result, I don't trust any type A CCRCs.

Some places have no issue stating a range of prices in one page on their website. E.g., VI Living. They have about 10 places in different states. Not confusing at all. This is just one of their places but you can find the prices for the others quite easily on the same website.

Athena, giving them your email is very easy and doesn’t involve any commitment to talking to them. I’ve given my email to many of them and normally on the second email they send prices. One in particular would not without a phone call and I stopped contacting them. I feel like I’m being treated like a kid if they aren’t forthcoming.

Here’s another one with prices. It’s not hard for them to do it.

Back
Top Bottom