Moved into CCRC today

I do get the point system for meals. One of the CCRCs we’re waitlisted has a point system, equivalent to around $400-450 in monthly meals. It also has formal and informal dining quarters for community dining, and take-out, but we get the impression that we’re being nickeled and dimed when we occasionally take advantage of our waitlist privileges of dining there. I feel the residents there (and at similar CCRCs we have observed with the point systems) become overtly concerned about the points and dining now includes a gamification exercise.

In contrast, the other CCRC we’re waitlisted, comparable in many ways to the other CCRC, simply includes 30 monthly meals (and offers free buffet style breakfasts). The lunch/dinner menu always includes on a rotating quarterly basis meal choices like salmon, filet mignon, an array of seasonal dishes or desserts, etc, in addition to permanent chicken, sandwich, salad, soup, side items. You can order whatever’s on the menu, period! No additional charges, except if you bring guests (though for people on the waitlist we can bring 2 additional guests at no charge — we get a monthly pass to dine there, similar to the other CCRC); I believe there is a reasonable, modest flat fee for guests and children under a certain age are free. We prefer this meal plan, and the food at this CCRC, along with the permanent waitstaff, is the best we’ve been exposed to at any of the CCRCs we’ve visited.

To each, his own.

The IRS reference you give addresses someone in a nursing home. Are you sure the deduction is the same for assisted living expenses?

I'm sure enough to do it on my Dad's taxes. I consider the phrase "a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution" to cover the place where my Dad lives.

I also did a quick search and found the federal regulation that appear to be applicable in this case:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.213-1

Go down to paragraph (e)(v)(a) or just search for "principal reason".

Everyone gets to decide for themselves, of course. Consult your professional tax preparer, etc.

Grocery shopping. For years I grocery shopped once a week doing curbside pick up at Walmart or a local grocery. I hate grocery shopping and avoid going into a store whenever possible (even before Covid). I expect my grocery bill will be MUCH less now that I am in a CCRC, I might be able to get by with monthly grocery shopping with the exception of a few perishables. My CCRC has a bus that takes residents to various grocery stores almost every day during the week. I don't plan to do that unless I quit driving. The CCRC also has a personal shopper on staff that will do your grocery shopping for a $10 per time charge at the closest grocery store, which is a very nice Harris Teeter. I plan to use that for my big grocery shops, like the list I am working on now to restock essentials after our move.

I'm sure enough to do it on my Dad's taxes. I consider the phrase "a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution" to cover the place where my Dad lives.

I also did a quick search and found the federal regulation that appear to be applicable in this case:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.213-1

Go down to paragraph (e)(v)(a) or just search for "principal reason".

Everyone gets to decide for themselves, of course. Consult your professional tax preparer, etc.

Thanks for that very helpful information.

In the IRS reference posted upthread by SecondCor521, look at the section on Long Term Care; you will find the appropriate authorization to deduct expenses at an assisted living facility; you focused earlier on nursing care (or similar facility) expenses.

Thanks for this reminder. I do my mother's taxes and take a large medical deduction for her CCRC and caretaker costs. I too will get a large CCRC medical deduction this year. I will get a letter from the CCRC showing the percentage of my entrance fee and monthly fees attributable to health care (usually about 35%), I look at this portion of my fees as sort of long term care insurance. I had to sharpen my pencil on whether to take the entrance fee out of my IRA and take the medical deduction or pay my entrance fee from my large HSA, in the end I did some of both.

Similar process here--usually get letter about Feb 1 for prior year. Interesting that your percentage deduction is pretty close to ours--been here 4 years, 31-33%. Biggest change was a couple years ago, an IRS ruling caused them to provide the same deduction regardless of the size (value) of your unit. Now a per capita basis.

youbet, thanks for the explanation of how it works in Illinois.
I misspoke. I should have said that's how it works in the 3 CCRC's we've been visiting. Those CCRC's are in Illinois, but I don't know how other CCRC's in Illinois handle it. I didn't mean to imply all CCRC's in Illinois administer costs that way.
There could be some CCRCs in NC that work the way you describe but that is not how my CCRC works. If you move to skilled nursing or assisted living your monthly fee stays the same as what you paid for independent living. This is an advantage for folks with smaller less expensive units although the monthly fee difference for small versus large is not that much in my CCRC.
Yes. We were told that when folks buying into the most expensive units realized they were actually subsidizing folks in the less expensive units if there was a move to assisted living or full nursing care, it generated some negative reactions. So, they came up with this system where folks in assisted living or full nursing all pay the same amount to be there regardless of the cost of the apartment they previously had. I haven't decided which system I'd prefer. I only mentioned it as a tip to folks shopping CCRC's that it's yet another variable.

It's great you're keeping us posted and sharing information. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Harlee and others, one thing I sort of fear about a CCRC is that I will take on a more "aged " personality just from being around a population generally older than me, assuming I would move in at around age 71 or 72. I've read studies that seem to show that you do start to "live up" to your surrounding people, and if they, for example, are complaining constantly of aches and pains, you do too. I don't know if that's fair, but it's something I worry about. On the other hand, it's possible that having so many daily worries about things that I'd rather not worry about, like home maintenance, might be incredibly freeing.

Harlee and others, one thing I sort of fear about a CCRC is that I will take on a more "aged " personality just from being around a population generally older than me, assuming I would move in at around age 71 or 72. I've read studies that seem to show that you do start to "live up" to your surrounding people, and if they, for example, are complaining constantly of aches and pains, you do too. I don't know if that's fair, but it's something I worry about. On the other hand, it's possible that having so many daily worries about things that I'd rather not worry about, like home maintenance, might be incredibly freeing.

I don't plan to act older. I just got back from a CCRC dance party, every there danced. Did not seem like a bunch of old people to me. It will be what you make it.

congratulations! This is a big move and I"m sure it's not easy, but it sounds wonderful. I've looked at a few with a friend who is considering moving to one and can see a lot of advantages. Enjoy!

A concern for me about CCRCs is lack of privacy. I'm an introvert, live alone & definitely need time alone, though I worry about becoming reclusive as I age. I recognize that becoming part of a community is a major advantage of a CCRC & avoiding isolation is an important part of a healthy lifestyle for aging folks. One CCRC resident told me that she moved in knowing no one there but made an effort to engage in activities from the first day in order to become involved in the community, & I thought: yes, that's what I should do too. But the prospect of enforced socialization -- sharing daily meals, encounters & activities among the same people every single day -- also seems a bit overwhelming. Does anyone else feel that way?

Another CCRC resident told me that many residents have most meals in their residences & only eat in the dining areas once a day. So, "alone time" is possible too. That was somewhat reassuring.

Last edited:
From what I've seen of folks I know, it is completely up to you how much you interact with others.

A concern for me about CCRCs is lack of privacy. I'm an introvert, live alone & definitely need time alone, though I worry about becoming reclusive as I age. I recognize that becoming part of a community is a major advantage of a CCRC & avoiding isolation is an important part of a healthy lifestyle for aging folks. One CCRC resident told me that she moved in knowing no one there but made an effort to engage in activities from the first day in order to become involved in the community, & I thought: yes, that's what I should do too. But the prospect of enforced socialization -- sharing daily meals, encounters & activities among the same people every single day -- also seems a bit overwhelming. Does anyone else feel that way?

Another CCRC resident told me that many residents have most meals in their residences & only eat in the dining areas once a day. So, "alone time" is possible too. That was somewhat reassuring.

As nice as my friend’s was I wouldn’t want to live in one. The ambulance was there a lot. That was depressing. It was a lifesaver for my friend however because due to Parkinson’s disease he needed assistance. He was able to move from independent living to assisted living but had to change apartments. All the AL apartments were in one wing. It also had a built in social life for him which was good.

Regarding the point plan for dining at my CCRC you can easily adjust the number of points each quarter from 0 points up to the equivalent of 3 meals a day. If you are going to be out of town for at least 2 weeks you can also get credit back for those days. I also like the variety of different places to eat--everything from a formal dining room where jackets are required to a regular restaurant to pub to a casual cafe where you can wear shorts and t shirt. Something for everyone. You can also have meals delivered to your apartment or get take out, we only plan to use the delivery service or take out service if we are sick or have had surgery etc. DH needs to have his second knee replacement soon and we plan to use delivery meal service then.

How do they compare to dining options outside the facility as far as taste, food quality?

Do they offer choices for people who have dietary restrictions?

How do they compare to dining options outside the facility as far as taste, food quality?

Do they offer choices for people who have dietary restrictions?

So far the dining options have been comparable to the best dining options in our town. There are 5 dining venues ranging from formal (jacket required) to very casual, t shirt and shorts. I have eaten so far in the midrange restaurant (casual but no shorts or jeans) and the pub. I did have a meal delivered the day I moved in but I do not plan to get meals delivered unless I am sick or when DH has his second knee replacement. I want to go to the restaurants and socialize. So far the food has been delicious and wonderful selections. The menus change monthly. I don't eat desserts but I am told they are great. The head chef was hired away from one of the best restaurants in town.

The menus have many options--they are marked for vegetarian, gluten free, lactose free and the have sugar free desserts.. I have a friend in the CCRC who is vegetarian and she says she has plenty of options. I have some food allergies and I have a meeting set with the head chef to go over the menu.

As nice as my friend’s was I wouldn’t want to live in one. The ambulance was there a lot. That was depressing. It was a lifesaver for my friend however because due to Parkinson’s disease he needed assistance. He was able to move from independent living to assisted living but had to change apartments. All the AL apartments were in one wing. It also had a built in social life for him which was good.

So far I have seen no ambulances but it is good to know that I have a pull button in every room and an emergency pendant in case I need to call an ambulance. My mother is in a different CCRC and she fell and the emergency pendant probably saved her life. Getting old is a fact of life, I don't find it depressing. As I age I want to live my best life possible. I feel very safe and happy in the CCRC.

I am sure there are people in the CCRC who rarely leave their apartment and have all meals delivered but I think that is sad-- but I am an extrovert. We have a very private patio and I can sit out there and see no one. There are also some nice walking trails where it is private. I am sure you could strike a balance of alone time and socializing. My mother has lived in a CCRC and for many years did all the activities and loved it. Now in her 90s she has health problems and misses it all.

Both of the CCRCs I've visited because I knew people there, I've been amazed at the staff. Walking down the halls, I have seen most staff members greet residents by name. They may engage in small talk about grand kids or upcoming events, etc. I was impressed. Of course, for the money paid, perhaps that should be expected, but I was still happy to see how well the staff interacts with residents.

Both of the CCRCs I've visited because I knew people there, I've been amazed at the staff. Walking down the halls, I have seen most staff members greet residents by name. They may engage in small talk about grand kids or upcoming events, etc. I was impressed. Of course, for the money paid, perhaps that should be expected, but I was still happy to see how well the staff interacts with residents.

True--the staff here is so friendly and so far we have been personally contacted by a different staff member every day to make sure thing are going well. I noticed a few checklist items on move in and they have all been corrected. We were delivered a welcome goody package. On the move in day we got free food delivered for us and the movers. The waiters are mostly college kids and they all seem to really enjoy their jobs, the opposite of what you see in most restaurants these days.

We have weekly housekeeping coming up (included in the rent) and I will be interested to see how that goes. Every 6 months we also get a "deep cleaning" and carpets shampooed. I only have carpet in bedroom.

The staff at my friend’s place were very nice and all know everyone’s name and things about them. My other friend and I were contact people in case something happened and they called us as needed. The staff was also very nice to both of us. I am glad you like it harlee.

I am sure there are people in the CCRC who rarely leave their apartment and have all meals delivered but I think that is sad-- but I am an extrovert. We have a very private patio and I can sit out there and see no one. There are also some nice walking trails where it is private. I am sure you could strike a balance of alone time and socializing. My mother has lived in a CCRC and for many years did all the activities and loved it. Now in her 90s she has health problems and misses it all.

"as I age I want to live the best life possible" - Harllee

Thank you for sharing your journey. You've considered your lives, planned for your future and are living an active life today. So good to hear! We're in our 50s and appreciate your story + updates.

Just moved into a CCRC independent living apartment today. All the furniture is here, lots of boxes to unpack, may have to get rid of a few things even though I had already downsized. This is a very nice and fairly expensive Type A Life Care CCRC. We had been on the wait list over 10 years. The apartment is lovely, they completely renovated it and I got to pick out flooring, cabinets, paint, counter tops appliances etc. Went to dinner in one of the restaurants (there are 5), delicious food and great service, one meal a day included in rent. We already know some people here and have met several others, a neighbor invited us to eat with them tomorrow night. We are younger than most, we are 72 and the average age for move in is 76 but DH has some health issues and we wanted to move in while we could still pass the entrance exam. More later, tired tonight.

How much per month?

How much per month?

Depends on the size of the unit, the larger units pay more. We have a 2 bath 2 bedroom and for the 2 of us the charge is $6300 per month. Includes one large meal per day (with the option to buy more meals), all utilities, wifi and cable, all maintenance, free access to nice fitness center (we have been members there and cost to outsiders is $150 per couple per month), free transpiration to grocery stores and medical appoints, many free activities (there is an extra charge for a few things things like the symphony) and guaranteed admission to assisted living, skilled nursing and memory care at the same monthly cost. The only increase in cost for the higher level of care is the increased cost of food for 2 more meals a day. Sounds like a lot but when you consider everything that is included and how much lower our other expenses will be we feel like it is a good deal for us. We never bought Long Term Care Insurance because with this type of CCRC we do not need it so that has been a saving to us over the years.

Last edited:
Depends on the size of the unit, the larger units pay more. We have a 2 bath 2 bedroom and for the 2 of us the charge is $6300 per month. Includes one large meal per day (with the option to buy more meals), all utilities, wifi and cable, all maintenance, free access to nice fitness center (we have been members there and cost to outsiders is $150 per couple per month), free transpiration to grocery stores and medical appoints, many free activities (there is an extra charge for a few things things like the symphony) and guaranteed admission to assisted living, skilled nursing and memory care at the same monthly cost. The only increase in cost for the higher level of care is the increased cost of food for 2 more meals a day. Sounds like a lot but when you consider everything that is included and how much lower our other expenses will be we feel like it is a good deal for us. We never bought Long Term Care Insurance because with this type of CCRC we do not need it so that has been a saving to us over the years.
For all they provide that makes your lives much easier and in a nice package, that seems really reasonable to me.

For all the services, it does seem very reasonable.

We don't eat more than two meals, and would be satisfied eating the earlier meal at home.

Back
Top Bottom