Moved into CCRC today

We have been extra careful about Covid due to DH's health issues . . .

I wonder if a retirement community has “off hours”. Like your DH, I’m immune compromised and do what I can to avoid large groups of people. Yesterday we went to a movie that started at 9am. I think there were 5 other people in the theater. We went to an early dinner (2pm) at a nice restaurant and there were very few people there. In fact, in the section where we sat, we were the only ones. We call those retiree hours. Do retiree hours exist at a retirement community? Especially at the gym where people are breathing hard.

Don’t let your guard down. A good friend of my has COVID right now. It’s still out there. Thankfully she’s doing okay. Also thankful that she had the presence of mind to cancel a breakfast meeting we had scheduled because she felt a little stuffed up.

Family member was living independently and alone at age 88 (had lost her spouse 30 years prior). Health was not great, too thin and not eating well. Too much time alone. Fought like crazy to prevent family from moving her to really nice CCRC. Finally agreed. Beautiful unit overlooking a ravine with big windows, large balcony and in a modern building really nice place that seems more like a fancy hotel or resort. Fast forward 11 years she is probably healthier now than she was at 88 and has loved every day of living here. Gained the weight she needed thanks to fantastic food she no longer had to prepare, finally had social interaction with people her age, went on all the day trips and participated in everything offered. Life changing and a very positive outcome.

What a great story--moving to a CCRC probably saved your family members life. So she is 99 now and still happily living independently in her CCRC? Similar to my mom except she moved into her CCRC in her early 80s and loved it until she started having health problems in her 90s. The risk with waiting until 88 is that it may be difficult to pass the health and cognitive tests. Plus you would have missed many years of enjoyment in the CCRC.

I have seen statistics showing that people in a CCRC tend to live longer and happier lives than those living on their own. I am seeing many people in my CCRC in their 90s who appear to be doing great.

I wonder if a retirement community has “off hours”. Like your DH, I’m immune compromised and do what I can to avoid large groups of people. Yesterday we went to a movie that started at 9am. I think there were 5 other people in the theater. We went to an early dinner (2pm) at a nice restaurant and there were very few people there. In fact, in the section where we sat, we were the only ones. We call those retiree hours. Do retiree hours exist at a retirement community? Especially at the gym where people are breathing hard.

Don’t let your guard down. A good friend of my has COVID right now. It’s still out there. Thankfully she’s doing okay. Also thankful that she had the presence of mind to cancel a breakfast meeting we had scheduled because she felt a little stuffed up.

Yes, we will go to the fitness center at the off hours, we will have to figure exactly when those are. But I do want to take the yoga and pilates classes. And DH and I decided to rejoin our dance groups and are joining some at the CCRC. We decided it was a risk worth taking for us.

I think a lot of people unfairly equate a CCRC with Assisted Living, when it's not remotely close. A good one is more like living in a resort, but with the guarantee that you can move on site to medical care if/when needed. Some are very much like high end hotels and resort campuses.

If you have the means, particularly for those alone in their later years, it's a great idea.

In addition, a lot of folks think "well I'll cross that bridge..." but you might not be able to when you need to. We all hope to age in place and then one day just not wake up, but that's for a lucky few. For the rest, the burden will fall on your kids or spouse.

A friend unexpectedly became a full time care giver to her elderly mom after her DF passed. Within a year, her mom went downhill, fast (mostly a mental decline, and needing help with bathing, showering), and had means but no real plans for care. While mom is now funding visiting daily nurses, it's on my friend (54 yo) to coordinate, and be there round the clock.

Not what either one of them would have wanted, and too late to change it now other than moving directly to AL, which friend and mom are resistant to, at least for now.

Aerides, I agree 100%. So far I feel like I am back in college (but at a very high end college) and enjoying every minute. I have friends who are in denial about getting old--they are not making any plans or they are making unrealistic plans. For all those who say that their kids will take care of them or that they will hire round of clock nurses, take it from my experience with my mother that will not work for most of us. I am so thankful my mom is in a nice CCRC. But even with that I am having to spend way too much time dealing with her long term care insurance.

Very interesting subject thanks for sharing...getting us thinking about alternative to aging in place idea. Seems it solves a lot of getting older and feeling isolated and care issues. We had a nextdoor neighbor who moved into such a place many years ago and he loved it. He was tired of cooking for himself and really enjoyed the socializing it provided. It was definitely the right move for him.

Seems like one should start looking into places about 10 years in advance?
Depending on needs is 70 years old seem like a good age to shoot for getting a place?

Wonder what kind of funds are needed to get into a place like this? I know it's gonna vary but would say 1 million plus paid of home worth 450K get a couple in the door?
Could this be an option for a married couple with no kids and heirs to really worry about?
Suggestions on where to gather more info?
OP thanks for sharing.....enjoying reading about your experience.

Last edited:
Aerides, I agree 100%. So far I feel like I am back in college (but at a very high end college) and enjoying every minute. I have friends who are in denial about getting old--they are not making any plans or they are making unrealistic plans. For all those who say that their kids will take care of them or that they will hire round of clock nurses, take it from my experience with my mother that will not work for most of us. I am so thankful my mom is in a nice CCRC. But even with that I am having to spend way too much time dealing with her long term care insurance.

harllee, I think it's time to write or call the State. Most State Insurance Bureaus will put pressure on an insurer who is acting in bad faith. They have power and teeth.

I hope you get this settled. It's just plain wrong what the insurance company is doing.

Annual fee increase?

Harley, thank you for this excellent discussion. I am late stepping into it, so forgive me if this was addressed and I just missed it.
Do you have a contractual annual fee COLA increase for your monthly amount?
Some CCRCs we have seen include an annual 3% (for example) or CPI COLA, whichever is greater. Some announce an annual fee adjustment occurring at new year for all residents, like the Soc. Sec. annual increase for benefit, others apply the increase at your anniversary annual period.

harlee--your CCRC sounds like is is a perfect place for you and DH.
Congratulations for a well planned retirement landing spot! Enjoy.

harllee, I think it's time to write or call the State. Most State Insurance Bureaus will put pressure on an insurer who is acting in bad faith. They have power and teeth.

I hope you get this settled. It's just plain wrong what the insurance company is doing.

Already done, that does not seem to have helped. I think it hurts that the company is no longer selling Long Term Care Policies there is not much the State dept of insurance can do.

Very interesting subject thanks for sharing...getting us thinking about alternative to aging in place idea. Seems it solves a lot of getting older and feeling isolated and care issues. We had a nextdoor neighbor who moved into such a place many years ago and he loved it. He was tired of cooking for himself and really enjoyed the socializing it provided. It was definitely the right move for him.

Seems like one should start looking into places about 10 years in advance?
Depending on needs is 70 years old seem like a good age to shoot for getting a place?

Wonder what kind of funds are needed to get into a place like this? I know it's gonna vary but would say 1 million plus paid of home worth 450K get a couple in the door?
Could this be an option for a married couple with no kids and heirs to really worry about?
Suggestions on where to gather more info?
OP thanks for sharing.....enjoying reading about your experience.

Look at post 161 for a resource. We got on the list at age 60, moved in at age 72, we are on the younger side but the time was right and the unit we wanted opened up. We are a married couple, no kids so it is a perfect option for us. I think the first thing to do is to decide what area of the country you want to be in then look at the CCRCs in that area. IMO the Class A Lifecare type is best since your monthly fees don't go way up if you move into higher level of care.

Harley, thank you for this excellent discussion. I am late stepping into it, so forgive me if this was addressed and I just missed it.
Do you have a contractual annual fee COLA increase for your monthly amount?
Some CCRCs we have seen include an annual 3% (for example) or CPI COLA, whichever is greater. Some announce an annual fee adjustment occurring at new year for all residents, like the Soc. Sec. annual increase for benefit, others apply the increase at your anniversary annual period.

There is an annual monthly fee increase each year on January 1. There is no contractual amount but the average increase has been around 3%. The entrance fee also increases but at a somewhat higher rate, I think it has gone up about 4-5% per year.

Harllee-

Would like to see some pics if you have them. Also, would you be willing to share the name of the CCRC? It would be helpful knowing the company to research more on what seems to be a good situation.

Harllee-

Would like to see some pics if you have them. Also, would you be willing to share the name of the CCRC? It would be helpful knowing the company to research more on what seems to be a good situation.

The name of my CCRC is Galloway Ridge in Pittsboro, NC. Plenty of pictures on their website. I will not post any pictures of my apartment--it is full of unpacked boxes!

Pittsboro is an historic (but up and coming) town in Chatham County NC, just south of what many people think of UNC (Chapel Hill), home of the Tar Heels.

Nice location!

Pittsboro is an historic (but up and coming) town in Chatham County NC, just south of what many people think of UNC (Chapel Hill), home of the Tar Heels.

Nice location!

I have lived in Chapel Hill for years. Galloway Ridge is about 10 minutes south of Chapel Hill, a great location and near the University of North Carolina and 2 great medical facilities--UNC and Duke. The location is one reason the waitlist is so long. And they have a bus that will take me to the Tar Heel basketball games!

Harllee, facility looks great.
Do I understand it correctly that you lived in this area for very long time? And familiar with weather, crime level, etc.?
I know it gets pretty hot and humid in summer, and some freezing rains in winter.

I'm happy for you harllee that you've found a great place!

My sister did a PT tour of duty at UNC Chapel Hill and her husband has a degree or two from Duke. I passed through Raleigh a few years ago and thought that it was a fantastic area.

There is an annual monthly fee increase each year on January 1. There is no contractual amount but the average increase has been around 3%. The entrance fee also increases but at a somewhat higher rate, I think it has gone up about 4-5% per year.

My Dad's place is a Type C CCRC I guess, here in Idaho. There's no contractual amount there either. In December each year, the place sends out a notice to all residents with that year's increase, which goes into effect for everyone on January 1st.

All the residents grumble, but very few move out due to increased costs. Occasionally someone who might be right on the edge of affordability will move out, but that's rare and usually happens quickly.

The one year that SS benefits went up 8.7%, the CCRC raised rates 8.7%. Never mind that their monthly rent is multiples of the average person's SS check.

My Mom grumbled about it too, but I told her they would keep raising rents until they had significant vacancy. The place is maybe 18 years old, and they've had minimal vacancy plus a waiting list pretty much the entire time, even as they have quadrupled the size of the facility (new wings, new homes, new condos, new AL building, new fitness center, etc.).

Last edited:
Harllee, it looks like a fantastic place. I am so happy that all of your planning paid off and you are enjoying it. I look forward to hearing more.

Harllee, facility looks great.
Do I understand it correctly that you lived in this area for very long time? And familiar with weather, crime level, etc.?
I know it gets pretty hot and humid in summer, and some freezing rains in winter.

I have lived in this area all my life. Winters are mild and getting milder, we have not had any ice or snow in several years. Summers are hot and humid and I usually spend my summers in the NC mountains and plan to continue to do so as long as I am able. Spring and Fall are wonderful. As for crime, I am sure there is some but I rarely hear anything about it. I feel safe everywhere I go.

Last edited:
I'm happy for you harllee that you've found a great place!

My sister did a PT tour of duty at UNC Chapel Hill and her husband has a degree or two from Duke. I passed through Raleigh a few years ago and thought that it was a fantastic area.

Being a Tar Heel fan I will forgive your son in law for his degrees from Duke.

My Dad's place is a Type C CCRC I guess, here in Idaho. There's no contractual amount there either. In December each year, the place sends out a notice to all residents with that year's increase, which goes into effect for everyone on January 1st.

All the residents grumble, but very few move out due to increased costs. Occasionally someone who might be right on the edge of affordability will move out, but that's rare and usually happens quickly.

The one year that SS benefits went up 8.7%, the CCRC raised rates 8.7%. Never mind that their monthly rent is multiples of the average person's SS check.

My Mom grumbled about it too, but I told her they would keep raising rents until they had significant vacancy. The place is maybe 18 years old, and they've had minimal vacancy plus a waiting list pretty much the entire time, even as they have quadrupled the size of the facility (new wings, new homes, new condos, new AL building, new fitness center, etc.).

One saving grace at my CCRC is the large Trust Fund they have for people who run out of money. They have never kicked any one out for lack of funds. I was told there are currently 2 residents who have run out of money and are having their payments made out of the Trust Fund-- one is 104 and the other is 105. They have out lived their money and reside in the nursing home.

We are a married couple, no kids so it is a perfect option for us.

We are a married couple with kids and grandkids and think a CCRC is a good option for us. Why the emphasis on no kids? It seems to us that going into a CCRC would be a great thing for us to do for the kids. I'm concerned I'm missing something here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom