Moved into CCRC today

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just moved into a CCRC independent living apartment today. All the furniture is here, lots of boxes to unpack, may have to get rid of a few things even though I had already downsized. This is a very nice and fairly expensive Type A Life Care CCRC. We had been on the wait list over 10 years. The apartment is lovely, they completely renovated it and I got to pick out flooring, cabinets, paint, counter tops appliances etc. Went to dinner in one of the restaurants (there are 5), delicious food and great service, one meal a day included in rent. We already know some people here and have met several others, a neighbor invited us to eat with them tomorrow night. We are younger than most, we are 72 and the average age for move in is 76 but DH has some health issues and we wanted to move in while we could still pass the entrance exam. More later, tired tonight.

That is great!! I hope all works out for both of you and sounds like a great fit. Please keep us informed as you settle in.

10 years - you really planned ahead. Good for you, and it sounds as if you've landed in a wonderful place!

Sounds great! I look forward to hearing more.

Please, please, please...take advantage of everything they have to offer you. Go to one or two of the scheduled activities every day, go on the day trips, exercise, mingle, socialize, make friends, have fun.

We moved mom into a similar place and unfortunately she would spend most of the time alone, rarely participating, socializing only at dinner...not taking advantage of all the things which were included for her.

Congratulations on your move and best wishes for this next experience in life. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Congratulations! This sounds like a terrific decision and I think/hope you will be very, very happy there. :)

Congrats on the move Harllee, I know you've done your research and been planning this for years. Best wishes on a smooth transition!

Wishing you and DH many happy years in your new place. Glad to hear you sounding so happy!

Congratulations! Very happy for you that your plans have come to fruition. Hope you and your DH will enjoy the lifestyle there.

Wonderful! Coincidently, I just toured one I've had my eye on yesterday and put my name on the waiting list. I'm 66 and the wait is about 10 years.

Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Our apartment in a CCRC is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2024. We're currently downsizing our "stuff". Departing a 2400 sq ft home with a 3-car garage to a 1950 sq ft apartment with a 1-car garage.

I'll be 69 and my wife will be 71 when we move in. We'll be the youngsters .... for awhile.

Best of luck to you!

Please, please, please...take advantage of everything they have to offer you. Go to one or two of the scheduled activities every day, go on the day trips, exercise, mingle, socialize, make friends, have fun.

We moved mom into a similar place and unfortunately she would spend most of the time alone, rarely participating, socializing only at dinner...not taking advantage of all the things which were included for her.

Yes we plan to take advantage of everything, give everything a try! we are both extroverts so should not be hard. My mom is in a similar CCRC (wonder how many people who live in CCRCs have a parent living in one too, would be an interesting stat) and my mother did all activities before her health got bad. She has loved it.

But first today I have to unpack some kitchen boxes and find a coffee mug!

Congratulations. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences.

Our apartment in a CCRC is scheduled for completion in the fall of 2024. We're currently downsizing our "stuff". Departing a 2400 sq ft home with a 3-car garage to a 1950 sq ft apartment with a 1-car garage.

I'll be 69 and my wife will be 71 when we move in. We'll be the youngsters .... for awhile.

Best of luck to you!

You are moving into a big place. Our apartment is only 1200 square feet, one bedroom and a den, 2 bath. No garage but there is covered parking for an extra fee, we are on the waitlist for that for my Lexus, DH's 2000 Jeep Wrangler can stay outside.

You are moving into a big place. Our apartment is only 1200 square feet, one bedroom and a den, 2 bath. No garage but there is covered parking for an extra fee, we are on the waitlist for that for my Lexus, DH's 2000 Jeep Wrangler can stay outside.

It is fairly large with 2 bedrooms, a den and 2.5 baths. The community decided to build a 5-story apartment complex on their existing site, and we got in on the start with a two year wait versus the 10-12 year wait for existing homes.

The one car garage is in the basement and we're on the 3rd floor. We had to pay extra for the garage.

The buy-in price has already increased by 10 percent, so we're a bit ahead.

We dread the move as we've accumulated much stuff over the past 23 years, but we're still excited and looking forward to the completed move.

Last edited:
Just moved into a CCRC independent living apartment today. All the furniture is here, lots of boxes to unpack, may have to get rid of a few things even though I had already downsized. This is a very nice and fairly expensive Type A Life Care CCRC. We had been on the wait list over 10 years. The apartment is lovely, they completely renovated it and I got to pick out flooring, cabinets, paint, counter tops appliances etc. Went to dinner in one of the restaurants (there are 5), delicious food and great service, one meal a day included in rent. We already know some people here and have met several others, a neighbor invited us to eat with them tomorrow night. We are younger than most, we are 72 and the average age for move in is 76 but DH has some health issues and we wanted to move in while we could still pass the entrance exam. More later, tired tonight.

I know you've been waiting for quite some time. I hope it's everything you have hoped for and that it meets all your needs.

Congratulations, harllee! You have shared your knowledge on CCRCs and your plan for this one for a while. Look forward to hearing more of you new experience.

Best wishes. Ten year waiting list! I suspect most of us will be out of luck if we decide that is what we need at the last minute. Especially with us boomers expanding the upper age brackets for the duration (at least for our duration).

Many good wishes and a question

Enjoy this next chapter of your lives, have fun and stay healthy.

What exactly is the "entrance exam"? Thanks.

Congratulations!! Best wishes for your life there! Keep us informed!

Enjoy this next chapter of your lives, have fun and stay healthy.

What exactly is the "entrance exam"? Thanks.

There were actually 3 entrance requirements:

1. Financial and income statement, they want to be sure you have enough assets and income to pay the fees of a long while. They have a trust fund for people who eventually run out of money so they can stay. They do not take Medicaid. I was told that 2 ladies are getting payments from the trust fund because they have run out of money--they are ages 104 and 105!

2. Health requirements. They get all your health records. My DH has to go before the health committee for an interview because he has some chronic health problems. They wait to be sure that you can live independently for at least 5 years.

3. A cognitive test that was surprisingly hard.

Back
Top Bottom