Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2021, 04:52 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't buy food at a movie theater. When i was a young boy I used to buy popcorn on occasion but the price became too expensive (the bag or box was probably more expensive than the cost of popcorn). Prior to the pandemic we would go to the reduced price first show and either have lunch before or after the show. We can wait a couple of hours and forego eating a movie theater hot dog, nachos with fake cheese, etc. Eating movie theater food is just a small step above eating sushi sold at a gas station.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 05:30 AM   #42

I enjoy going to the movies and no imo the tv is absolutely not the same. now let me state I do not have a jumbo 72 inch tv with surround sound etc etc.

I guess I'm the opposite, if I'm going to drop 20 bucks for a new release I darn sure don't want it in my living room with a ton of distractions.

so yes I do plan on going back
Old 05-05-2021, 05:34 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
We were not frequent movie goers before COVID. I don't enjoy the overall experience with people kicking the back of my seat, my feet sticking to the floor, people on their phones at full brightness the whole time, sometimes even talking on their phone or just talking to each other, not to mention the movie sound system set at 300 decibel volume, and charging $10 for a $.50 bag of popcorn. There would usually be 1 or 2 movies a year that would draw me in but that was about it.

I think theaters have a tough road ahead. I suspect a lot of people upped their home system set up during the pandemic and are enjoying the comfort and convenience of watching movies at home. I'd much rather spend a few dollars to rent a movie in our family room and sit on my sofa.
wow where do you go to the theater, lol?

So thankfully I've never ever experienced all that except for maybe the price of popcorn

are we talking about full grown adults (kicking hte back of a chair?) or a kids flick?
Old 05-05-2021, 05:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
...The Cineplex theatres in our neck of the woods is evolving their business. Like quite a few other businesses I'm seeing, they're adding a "premium" level for an additional price. You get access to a licensed lounge/bar to socialize before the movie starts and in the actual theatre are recliner seats with in seat food service with a specialty menu...
This is the only way I've been to the movies for the past 15 years. Our main movie place has a restaurant and full bar upstairs, with reclining couches you reserve. They also have quick to-go stations including beers, wine splits, popcorn, right outside the actual movie entrances.

You sit in them in what's basically the 2nd level of every movie theatre (downstairs seating is regular). Their full restaurant is decent if you are trying to do dinner before the film, because they help time things so you get through ready for your movie.
The bar is nice for an adult night out, and they don't even let under-21's in the upper deck at all.

A lot of other theatres near us have a similar setup, usually smaller screens, less seats, but cushy recliners and bar/food service available.

The actual seat tickets are only maybe $3-4 extra each on a saturday night.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another reason we no longer go to the movies other than having a good home theatre system at home is the appalling lack of quality movies. Every movie now has become a political social justice message. I want to be entertained, not lectured.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I’m skeptical that combining meals and movies is a good thing for all of the reasons rk911 stated. I do think that adding bar service could help to bring people back to the movie theaters. Alcohol always seems to stimulate business demand. It wouldn’t interest me, but I don’t regularly drink in bars or restaurants. But I know a lot of people do.
Hmmm. Adding alcohol to an action flick. What could possibly go wrong.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Or a horror movie.

We've never been to one of those dine-in theaters. Part of me likes the concept but part of me hates distractions when I'm at a movie so having a server constantly walking around bringing food and drinks seems like it would be incredibly annoying if you're actually trying to watch the movie.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
We were not frequent movie goers before COVID. I don't enjoy the overall experience with people kicking the back of my seat,

My favorite rude movie watcher incident. Just in case you don't know,
Ronda Rousey was a top notch MMA fighter.

Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we have..maybe had, dunno...a theatre with at-seat food service. something new to try. it might have been convenient but it was terribly distracting. waiters walking in front of other patrons taking and delivering orders and about 20-min before the end if the film the staff start delivering the bills and taking payments. that was our one and only visit to that theatre.
As far as I know, this was pioneered by Alamo Drafthouse many years ago. While a not bad idea, they have had several locations close permanently. I am not sure if they still run this, but it was my favorite "pre movie PSA"

Old 05-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
As far as I know, this was pioneered by Alamo Drafthouse many years ago. While a not bad idea, they have had several locations close permanently. I am not sure if they still run this, but it was my favorite "pre movie PSA"
Oh, I loved that ad! I cheered out loud (for Alamo) the first time I heard it. And it's been years, because unfortunately the closest one isn't very close, but I thought they encouraged people to get their orders in before the lights went down, and the servers did a good job staying out of the way after the movie started.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Oh, I loved that ad! I cheered out loud (for Alamo) the first time I heard it. And it's been years, because unfortunately the closest one isn't very close, but I thought they encouraged people to get their orders in before the lights went down, and the servers did a good job staying out of the way after the movie started.
Yep, it's been a while since I have been but it was a pretty good experience. The food wasn't fantastic, but suitable for the situation.

They used to do "theme" movies too, which were pretty fun and inexpensive. My favorite was a screening of "Office Space" where they had a couple of fax machines that movies goers could destroy out back after the movie was over.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Just about every film DW and I have seen in the cinema over the past 10 years has been in a theater that has reserved seating and serves alcohol. Most enjoyable, no problem, and I’ve not read of any issues.

Food is a different matter. Cooked to order food, serviced seat side along with the alcohol, has become quite popular here. We’ve tried it, and our adult children have as well, and we’ve all come to the same conclusion. Eating in the dark is just not enjoyable. In addition to being messy and somewhat uncomfortable, we’ve all found that we enjoy food more when we can see it, and that’s not easy in a dark theater.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we have..maybe had, dunno...a theatre with at-seat food service. something new to try. it might have been convenient but it was terribly distracting. waiters walking in front of other patrons taking and delivering orders and about 20-min before the end if the film the staff start delivering the bills and taking payments. that was our one and only visit to that theatre.
We have one theater that operates like that locally and, I agree, it's a bit distracting. They're also rather expensive so we haven't been back in years.

Most of the theaters around here that serve food and alcohol have you order your food when you buy your tickets. Then they deliver it to your seat during the first 15-20 minutes while the pre-movie stuff is playing. There's very little interruption during the actual movie. Certainly no worse than people getting up to use the rest room or buy more concessions.

For us it's more about the experience. It's not the best food, the buildings are older and quirky, and movie watching is not without distractions. Still, it's like going out for dinner and a movie in one stop.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
we’ve all come to the same conclusion. Eating in the dark is just not enjoyable. In addition to being messy and somewhat uncomfortable, we’ve all found that we enjoy food more when we can see it, and that’s not easy in a dark theater.
Yeah, we've honed our food choices down to things that are easy to eat. Generally things like sandwiches or wraps. Even a burger is too awkward and messy to eat while watching a movie. With the right food choices, it can be a pleasant experience.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:08 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
Yeah, we've honed our food choices down to things that are easy to eat. Generally things like sandwiches or wraps. Even a burger is too awkward and messy to eat while watching a movie. With the right food choices, it can be a pleasant experience.
+1
Old 05-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #56

The only movies we have seen in the last several years were movies with all kinds of special effects, and 3D movies. We saw the later Star Wars movies, the Harry Potter movies, and a few others such as Incredibles2 in 3D IMAX.

You can’t get that experience at home, even with our basement home theater.

We used to get a soft drink and share a popcorn. Now it’s just the smallest size soft drink, or nothing.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
We quit going to movies about seven years ago because of the at least half hour of commercials before the movie.
We quit going because of all the other people, with their chatter and their lit phone screens.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #58

With the new CDC guidelines I’m assuming many theaters will drop the mask requirements, which will make theater going at least a little more appealing than it was previously. Now we just need to see if there are any movies worth seeing. It seems like movie production came to a crawl once theaters closed. Are there any big blockbusters coming out in the near future?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:23 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
With the new CDC guidelines I’m assuming many theaters will drop the mask requirements, which will make theater going at least a little more appealing than it was previously. Now we just need to see if there are any movies worth seeing. It seems like movie production came to a crawl once theaters closed. Are there any big blockbusters coming out in the near future?
I guess I'm getting old, but I gave up on movies long before Covid. Still, I'm glad for almost any sign that we may be finally emerging from this long nightmare. I have a friend with cancer who just called me with his "good news" that he'd finally been able to get someplace to receive his first dose of Covid vaccine. He can no longer drive and is dependent on one of those handy vans for all his appointments.

These days, we take our good news where we can find it I suppose. Good news indeed, though YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #60

We rarely went to the movies except for block busters. But when we moved just prior to COVID I was looking forward to being 10 minutes away from a movie theater as opposed to a half hour. Not to mention being retired and able to do a matinee once in a while like on a rainy day.

Well the theater is still closed, but there is a live theatre place about a half hour from here that also shows movies. They show films like silent films, or films like The Courier that you could probably stream, but we have gone just to have the theatre/big screen experience and they do not require masks and distance the seating. In fact, we saw two live comedy shows there and will be attending some live musical performances as well.

There are other venues here for plays, movies and live shows that require masks while watching the performances and we will not be going to those places until they lift that requirement. I can watch a movie at home for that matter without a mask and will not pay money to be entertained anywhere that requires wearing a mask for a long period of time.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote