Movie Theaters

While we don't do movie theaters very often, sometimes a movie is better seen on a very large screen with excellent sound (or IMAX films). Dunkirk is a good example. I would also really like to see Top Gun 2 in a theater as the in-flight cinematography is rumored to be excellent.

Right before COVID ruined everything, they opened a fantastic theater )with dinner service, bar, reclining seats) about 10 minutes from us but sadly, it has gone out of business and the building has already been foreclosed on. The bank says that other theater companies have shown interest, but so far...nothing.

We were not frequent movie goers before COVID. I don't enjoy the overall experience with people kicking the back of my seat, my feet sticking to the floor, people on their phones at full brightness the whole time, sometimes even talking on their phone or just talking to each other, not to mention the movie sound system set at 300 decibel volume, and charging $10 for a $.50 bag of popcorn. There would usually be 1 or 2 movies a year that would draw me in but that was about it...

i hate those things, too and i'm not shy about fetching the manager. but to combat that we usually wait several weeks, possibly more for an especially popular movie before we go see it. the crowds are gone by then. and while we still do the occasional evening showing (dinner then movie) these days we're more likely taking in a matinee (movie then early dinner). my biggest pet peeve and what may eventually drive us out of the theatres is the "select-your-seat-before-you-enter-the-theatre" nonsense. we like to sit in the back row and even though the crowds are gone it never fails that someone will want to sit next to, in front or in back of us.

I’ve been thinking that the movie theater experience is rapidly becoming obsolete with home entertainment systems getting better and better, combined with streaming services like Netflix offering so much content for a fixed monthly price. COVID might be the final nail in the coffin for struggling movie theater chains.

‘And Warner Media’s recent announcement that movies would be available on day one on HBO did not help the situation. If other major movie studios move to release new movies to streaming service on the first day of availability, that doesn’t leave a lot of reason to go to the theater any more. Theaters could soon look like shopping malls…empty buildings sitting vacant.

It has been over a couple of decades since we went to a movie in the evening. Stopped going when the cost was $10+ and the theater became crowded with rude people. We usually go to the first show or on senior day when the cost is about half and the theater is almost empty. Usually people are well spaced out since there are no more than 10 or less. We may return some day but for now 10 feet away from a 52" TV screen works well for us. Nothing we care about on local channels so we watch Netflix. The cost of a month of movies probably comes to around $1 each or less based on the monthly bill for the account. That doesn't even account for all the TV series that we never saw and now have access to.

Cheers!

Even with home theatres, I don't see the complete demise of theatres.
The Cineplex theatres in our neck of the woods is evolving their business. Like
quite a few other businesses I'm seeing, they're adding a "premium" level for an additional price. You get access to a licensed lounge/bar to socialize before the movie starts and in the actual theatre are recliner seats with in seat food service with a specialty menu. We haven't had a chance to try one out yet becuase the one they were building near our place didn't complete before the pandemic hit.

It's obviously not going to appeal to everyone but I heard this "VIP" experience was fairly popular and not super expensive. If you're living in a small condo downtown where you can't turn up volume or fit a big screen, it might be a reasonable night out with friends.

Are you going to the theater to watch movies again or have you permanently altered your preferences for movie viewing as a result of the pandemic?

Before the pandemic we went infrequently (maybe 2-4 times a year). Normally it was one of our many "date night/double date with another couple" options. We will likely return to that level. If there is something we both want to see and choose not to wait (we are patient and never felt the need to be among the first to see any movie), that will be more of a factor than the current (under control in our area) pandemic situation.

One of those "full service type" theaters (table seating, full menu, etc.) opened up nearby, we will probably try it if runs a movie worth watching.

I'm in SoCal and I've been to the movies every week since they opened. I prefer watching films on the big screen. I do not subscribe to any streaming service/cable (or watch sports) and I do not own a TV. And before anyone tells me how inexpensive HUGE TVs are these days, I haven't own a TV since 2001 and I've only owned two TV's in my lifetime during the past 55 years (I gave them away every time I moved)

I'm in SoCal and I've been to the movies every week since they opened. I prefer watching films on the big screen. I do not subscribe to any streaming service/cable (or watch sports) and I do not own a TV. And before anyone tells me how inexpensive HUGE TVs are these days, I haven't own a TV since 2001 and I've only owned two TV's in my lifetime during the past 55 years (I gave them away every time I moved)

BUT...BUT...BUT...HOW DO YOU LIVE WITHOUT TV!?!?!? :D

DW and I took a trip not too long ago and the only TV in the house we rented was in a dedicated TV room. It wasn't turned on ONCE and I have to say...that was one of the most glorious things about that particular trip.

While I don't know that I would be without a TV, if it weren't for my DW, I don't think it would be turned on but on rare occasion.

LOL I understand that. Before I cut the cable a decade ago I complained the frequent commercials on TV.

After I switched to roku, I complained the frequent commercials AND the subscriptions are too expensive.

Now the only occasions I turn the TV on is after thunderstorms just to see if it is still working.. then I proceed to watch youtube videos on my computer/phone and complain about the frequent ad videos.

wouldn't that be fun!
We have one that re opened a few years ago, about 30 minutes away--only open on Friday nights, always a huge line, so we haven't been there.

We stopped going to movie theaters years ago--too loud, don't like the "talkers" and phone addicts who can't stop.
Will go to an occasional IMAX.

That is why we were going to the discounted sparsely attended first run movies on Tuesday afternoon. Yes sometimes the previews are too loud, but they usually lower the sound during the actual movie.

It should say something that the last movie we went to see was "The Martian". And that time we had the entire theater to ourselves. The theater closed a month or so later.

With all the easy streaming neither one of us sees any reason to go to a yucky theater with sticky floors and rude people with their phones and such.

We were not frequent movie goers before COVID. I don't enjoy the overall experience with people kicking the back of my seat, my feet sticking to the floor, people on their phones at full brightness the whole time, sometimes even talking on their phone or just talking to each other, not to mention the movie sound system set at 300 decibel volume, and charging $10 for a $.50 bag of popcorn. There would usually be 1 or 2 movies a year that would draw me in but that was about it.

I think theaters have a tough road ahead. I suspect a lot of people upped their home system set up during the pandemic and are enjoying the comfort and convenience of watching movies at home. I'd much rather spend a few dollars to rent a movie in our family room and sit on my sofa.

Wow, we must have been at the same movies!

I used to be a big movie-goer, but stopped years ago due to all the reasons above.

Now it's Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/Britbox/Acorn TV/PBS streaming movies at home. And the popcorn at Chez Moi is much better, has less salt, and is cheaper!

And I can go to the movies every night in my pajamas if I want to.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

All TVs are anyway, are punky computers with gigantic monitors.

Many would rather have a super-duper computer setup with a couple of big, but not necessarily gigantic monitors. And not for watching made-for-TV schtuff. Much of which is kind of lame.

BUT...BUT...BUT...HOW DO YOU LIVE WITHOUT TV!?!?!? :D

Even with home theatres, I don't see the complete demise of theatres.
The Cineplex theatres in our neck of the woods is evolving their business. Like
quite a few other businesses I'm seeing, they're adding a "premium" level for an additional price. You get access to a licensed lounge/bar to socialize before the movie starts and in the actual theatre are recliner seats with in seat food service with a specialty menu. We haven't had a chance to try one out yet becuase the one they were building near our place didn't complete before the pandemic hit.

It's obviously not going to appeal to everyone but I heard this "VIP" experience was fairly popular and not super expensive. If you're living in a small condo downtown where you can't turn up volume or fit a big screen, it might be a reasonable night out with friends.

we have..maybe had, dunno...a theatre with at-seat food service. something new to try. it might have been convenient but it was terribly distracting. waiters walking in front of other patrons taking and delivering orders and about 20-min before the end if the film the staff start delivering the bills and taking payments. that was our one and only visit to that theatre.

I’m skeptical that combining meals and movies is a good thing for all of the reasons rk911 stated. I do think that adding bar service could help to bring people back to the movie theaters. Alcohol always seems to stimulate business demand. It wouldn’t interest me, but I don’t regularly drink in bars or restaurants. But I know a lot of people do.

I don't buy food at a movie theater. When i was a young boy I used to buy popcorn on occasion but the price became too expensive (the bag or box was probably more expensive than the cost of popcorn). Prior to the pandemic we would go to the reduced price first show and either have lunch before or after the show. We can wait a couple of hours and forego eating a movie theater hot dog, nachos with fake cheese, etc. Eating movie theater food is just a small step above eating sushi sold at a gas station.

Cheers!

I enjoy going to the movies and no imo the tv is absolutely not the same. now let me state I do not have a jumbo 72 inch tv with surround sound etc etc.

I guess I'm the opposite, if I'm going to drop 20 bucks for a new release I darn sure don't want it in my living room with a ton of distractions.

so yes I do plan on going back

We were not frequent movie goers before COVID. I don't enjoy the overall experience with people kicking the back of my seat, my feet sticking to the floor, people on their phones at full brightness the whole time, sometimes even talking on their phone or just talking to each other, not to mention the movie sound system set at 300 decibel volume, and charging $10 for a $.50 bag of popcorn. There would usually be 1 or 2 movies a year that would draw me in but that was about it.

I think theaters have a tough road ahead. I suspect a lot of people upped their home system set up during the pandemic and are enjoying the comfort and convenience of watching movies at home. I'd much rather spend a few dollars to rent a movie in our family room and sit on my sofa.

wow where do you go to the theater, lol?

So thankfully I've never ever experienced all that except for maybe the price of popcorn

are we talking about full grown adults (kicking hte back of a chair?) or a kids flick?

...The Cineplex theatres in our neck of the woods is evolving their business. Like quite a few other businesses I'm seeing, they're adding a "premium" level for an additional price. You get access to a licensed lounge/bar to socialize before the movie starts and in the actual theatre are recliner seats with in seat food service with a specialty menu...

This is the only way I've been to the movies for the past 15 years. Our main movie place has a restaurant and full bar upstairs, with reclining couches you reserve. They also have quick to-go stations including beers, wine splits, popcorn, right outside the actual movie entrances.

You sit in them in what's basically the 2nd level of every movie theatre (downstairs seating is regular). Their full restaurant is decent if you are trying to do dinner before the film, because they help time things so you get through ready for your movie.
The bar is nice for an adult night out, and they don't even let under-21's in the upper deck at all.

A lot of other theatres near us have a similar setup, usually smaller screens, less seats, but cushy recliners and bar/food service available.

The actual seat tickets are only maybe $3-4 extra each on a saturday night.

Last edited:
Another reason we no longer go to the movies other than having a good home theatre system at home is the appalling lack of quality movies. Every movie now has become a political social justice message. I want to be entertained, not lectured.

I’m skeptical that combining meals and movies is a good thing for all of the reasons rk911 stated. I do think that adding bar service could help to bring people back to the movie theaters. Alcohol always seems to stimulate business demand. It wouldn’t interest me, but I don’t regularly drink in bars or restaurants. But I know a lot of people do.

Hmmm. Adding alcohol to an action flick. What could possibly go wrong.:facepalm:

Hmmm. Adding alcohol to an action flick. What could possibly go wrong.:facepalm:
Or a horror movie.

We've never been to one of those dine-in theaters. Part of me likes the concept but part of me hates distractions when I'm at a movie so having a server constantly walking around bringing food and drinks seems like it would be incredibly annoying if you're actually trying to watch the movie.

We were not frequent movie goers before COVID. I don't enjoy the overall experience with people kicking the back of my seat,

My favorite rude movie watcher incident. Just in case you don't know,
Ronda Rousey was a top notch MMA fighter.

we have..maybe had, dunno...a theatre with at-seat food service. something new to try. it might have been convenient but it was terribly distracting. waiters walking in front of other patrons taking and delivering orders and about 20-min before the end if the film the staff start delivering the bills and taking payments. that was our one and only visit to that theatre.

As far as I know, this was pioneered by Alamo Drafthouse many years ago. While a not bad idea, they have had several locations close permanently. I am not sure if they still run this, but it was my favorite "pre movie PSA"

As far as I know, this was pioneered by Alamo Drafthouse many years ago. While a not bad idea, they have had several locations close permanently. I am not sure if they still run this, but it was my favorite "pre movie PSA"
Oh, I loved that ad! I cheered out loud (for Alamo) the first time I heard it. And it's been years, because unfortunately the closest one isn't very close, but I thought they encouraged people to get their orders in before the lights went down, and the servers did a good job staying out of the way after the movie started.

Back
Top Bottom