Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Moving and retirement
Old 11-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

No way will we own any housing in retirement - too much gypsy blood in our veins and the desire to be highly mobile and stuff-free. Hubby and I plan to rent a low maintenance apartment near wherever the kids are living and spend most of our time travelling and living part time in different places around the world.

Jo Jo
steinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ER plan: 1800 sq ft with a dock on the intercoastal waterway (OBX area)
Now if the San Juans and Gulf Islands were your style ..

http://seattle.craigslist.org/boa/112061834.html
Old 11-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Unknown Retiree said:
Quote:
This (moving) is becoming a bigger problem as we invent our ERselves. Having ERed in January, the new-found freedom is dizzying. We've organized our finances but* skimmed over the where-will-we-stay aspect. Our NC place is great but not in January. Our NY home is too big but a comfy place to be for Christmas and Thanksgiving. The kids live nearby.
In January we're outta here. Don't know where yet.
How we have gone about trying to find a place to live is this: We decide what is important to us in a living location, and make a list. We put it in some type of order, or give it a "weight" number of importance.
Ours looks something like this:

Weather/climate (we like sunny, not too rainy, preferrably little to no snow, etc. - we can do outdoor activities much of the year...)

Access to good food choices/shopping choices in general

Cost of living (important day to day - no point in having choices if they cost an arm and a leg)

Near an international airport (for quick and easy getaways!)

Good library system (cheap entertainment and education)

Access to social activities

We like "smallish" towns, not cities with millions in population

Make up your list, and find out what is important to you. If it is snow skiing, then Miami would be out. If it is beach weather, then Alberta, Canada is out --you get the idea. Billy and I both love "easy" weather.

Then, you can go to the computer and check out the Chamber of Commerce sites and get tons of information. They advertise what is best about their town/city, give population figures, cost of living, real estate numbers, political insight, etc. From there you can see if it is a place you would like to visit or live.

There is even a website called "Sperling's Best Places"* http://www.bestplaces.net/* , which allows you to take a quiz, and answer certain questions to get your criteria, and then they do that city/town search for you! They list population, average home price, precipitation per year, and amounts of snow per year. You can virtually view homes that are for sale, find jobs, and know what kind of entertainment that is available.* *8)

Worth checking out... Hope this helps!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Old 11-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

http://www.city-data.com/

has lots of info on different areas, down to really small towns.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

We are moving, but we cannot decide where at the moment. We sold up our over inflated price home in Southern California before we went sailing for a few years. Now we have returned and are currently renting in Florida for a mere pittence in comparison to SoCAL. Currently IMHO it is far more economical to rent than buy, at least here in NorthEast Florida, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Palm Coast or Daytona Beach. Time will tell if that will change. But it does give us the flexibility to move around. When my current lease deal expires I will attempt to lengthen it. If I cannot, I will then begin to worry about it.

SWR
Old 11-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We're young (low-mid 30s) and moved into this house 2 years ago. We were looking to move, and knew that we couldn't afford our dream house yet. We're country kids, don't mind a commute, and don't want to be able to see our neighbors. We just wanted to move out of town and be somewhere where the dogs would have room to run and play and that would be safe to raise a family in the future. We were lucky that we practically tripped over what ended up being our dream house. It was about to fall into foreclosure. We offered the woman what she owed on it, which was $100,000 below her asking price. She took the offer and we moved in a month later.

1600sf with an additional 1600 sf finished basement. We can live all on one level, gorgeous kitchen, huge decks, surrounded by woods & a stream. 22 acres. Room for plenty of kids. We hope to never move from this place since we didn't think we would have such a place for many years anyway. Our commute (45 miles round trip for me and 130 for him, but only 3 days a week) is worth it.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since semiretiring in 1993, I have moved my primary
residence 6 times (mostly due to divorce and remarriage).
Anyway, I would like to hold the option to move yet again
but doubt I could find what we have for the money. Also, I am
way too lazy to participate much in the "work" of moving.
I have brought it up with DW (trial balloon). She likes being on the water (me too) and seems quite reluctant to uproot.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:47 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired in 2002. In 2004 we bought a house in the country on an acre and a half in Florida for a winter retreat. It is nice to never see snow except on TV. Don't know how the two house thing will play out but it's worth a try. :
Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski
Retired in 2002.* In 2004 we bought a house in the country on an acre and a half in Florida for a winter retreat.* It is nice to never see snow except on TV.* *Don't know how the two house thing will play out but it's worth a try.* *:
That is exactly what I said to DW when I bought the Texas condo
(it's worth a try). She has never seen the place, but I assured her if she didn't like it, it was no problem for me. It's a good investment
bought right. Originally I did not think the 2 home arrangement was
doable. What makes it work for us is that the Texas place is easy
to rent out and management is nearby. Not what we planned,
but it has worked out fine so far.

JG
Old 11-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I always assumed we would end up with two (seasonal) residences. Now it looks like there won't be enough resources to swing both that and the desired ER lifestyle. We'll see... maybe our second residence will need to have wheels.
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

My first ER involved a move of 1800 miles. I have no plans to move again except to a smaller home. We decided to have a vacation home here too in the mountains. We live near the city so we are close to work and shopping etc, but we are also 45 minutes away from a mountain cabin that is away from the rest of the world yet I have neighbors close by if we need anything. We get up there year round (snowmobile in winter) and would retire there if we could (water is not year round ).

We may move again someday, but not for 15 years at least. Too much family here for now.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha,

We moved a little over 2900 miles when we retired over 4 years ago. The main reason was weather. We moved from a suburban area up North to a large city in the SW. We have never regretted our decision. We love it here.

We made friends in the neighborhood and we made friends through all of our volunteer activities. We travel alot since family is in NY and FL but both places are only a plane ride away. We keep in touch with children by telephone and e-mail. And we make sure we visit each other about 4 times a year!

We moved from a 2 story 2400 sq. ft. house to a 1 story 2045 sq. ft. house. It is just right for us and gives us the extra bedroom space we need for company.

We got tired of the snow and the cold and the dreary skies. We have gotten used to desert temps in the summer and our winters are wonderful. We could never go back nor would we want to!

Momtwo
Momtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #53

Rok said:
Quote:
I always assumed we would end up with two (seasonal) residences.* Now it looks like there won't be enough resources to swing both that and the desired ER lifestyle.* We'll see... maybe our second residence will* need to have wheels.* *
I read recently where that is a strong new trend. People buy these 'rolling condos' and place them in resort locations. Get tired of one location, and go to another. We personally have friends from Southern California who have been doing this for a few years now. Instead of buying a second home, they fly to this (fabulous) Class A motorhome (slide outs, full kitchen, leather furniture, recessed lighting, etc.) and enjoy the change of pace and weather. When they want to roll on... they do.

Airline tickets and gas (even now) have proven cheaper than buying a new, 2nd home, with all the maintenance and property taxes. etc.*

Not a bad idea there! If you absolutely fall in love with a location, then you can consider buying.* *8)

Akaisha
Old 11-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We recently came to the conclusion that there's no need to own real estate in an area in order to enjoy being there...just the overhead on a second residence will pay for a lot of gas and motel rooms!* I'm not sure a big RV is very cost effective either though the freedom is appealing.* Maybe we'll start with a little Teardrop trailer for the "full" experience* *
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:34 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Rok said:

I read recently where that is a strong new trend. People buy these 'rolling condos' and place them in resort locations. Get tired of one location, and go to another. We personally have friends from Southern California who have been doing this for a few years now. Instead of buying a second home, they fly to this (fabulous) Class A motorhome (slide outs, full kitchen, leather furniture, recessed lighting, etc.) and enjoy the change of pace and weather. When they want to roll on... they do.

Airline tickets and gas (even now) have proven cheaper than buying a new, 2nd home, with all the maintenance and property taxes. etc.*

Not a bad idea there! If you absolutely fall in love with a location, then you can consider buying.* *8)

Akaisha
Yeah, but it's still a trailer My great aunt once called me a snob.
Maybe. Can you be a snob with no money?

JG
Old 11-25-2005, 10:11 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Maybe.* Can you be a snob with no money?*
JG
Sure JG, clinically it's called "delusions of grandeur".

Ha
Old 11-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #57

JG said:
Quote:
Yeah, but it's still a trailer* * My great aunt once called me a snob.
Maybe.* Can you be a snob with no money?*
Apparently, m'dear, you have proven the point!* (said in good fun...)

I must mention this here because it's kind of a favorite topic. Call it Peer Pressure, call it the need to fit in, or call it the desire to be*mega* 8) 8) - When I gave that mental set of ideas up, it was really freeing. We have traveled so much, that we have noticed that what is 'cool' in Mexico isn't happening in Bangkok. What is hot in Milano no one would be caught dead wearing in Los Angeles.* Get my drift?

Not to offend anyone here, but sometimes I look at those 'hooked' on city living, and I see the need for manicures (male and female) hair dyes (M&F), the 'right' clothing, the 'right' cars, the 'right' address, the 'right' friends, etc.. and I think to myself: those poor people! Who is it, excactly, that is underneath all that need for stuff?*

Trailer, schmailer - it's fun, frugal, and freeing.* Just one view...* * from a decidedly happy "un-snob!"

Akaisha
Old 11-26-2005, 04:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
JG said:
Apparently, m'dear, you have proven the point!* (said in good fun...)

I must mention this here because it's kind of a favorite topic. Call it Peer Pressure, call it the need to fit in, or call it the desire to be*mega* 8) 8) - When I gave that mental set of ideas up, it was really freeing. We have traveled so much, that we have noticed that what is 'cool' in Mexico isn't happening in Bangkok. What is hot in Milano no one would be caught dead wearing in Los Angeles.* Get my drift?

Not to offend anyone here, but sometimes I look at those 'hooked' on city living, and I see the need for manicures (male and female) hair dyes (M&F), the 'right' clothing, the 'right' cars, the 'right' address, the 'right' friends, etc.. and I think to myself: those poor people! Who is it, excactly, that is underneath all that need for stuff?*

Trailer, schmailer - it's fun, frugal, and freeing.* Just one view...* * from a decidedly happy "un-snob!"

Akaisha
The actual quote was (to my wife). "Did you know that you married the biggest snob in the country?"

I know that cutting back can be very liberating and I could do it..........
Big Time! However, after years and years of livin' large, you get used
to a certain lifestyle and want to preserve what you can. I know a lot of it
is peer pressure. Here is a real life example. I recently bought a big boat
for use only in Texas. Clearly a luxury we could easily do without.
We have 2 boats we use here, but I wanted a big one, so we bought it.
Maybe if I had LBYM for years to be ERed, I would operate differently
today. Anyway, no regrets but I am heavily influenced toward
hanging with a "better class of people". That is one reason I spend so much time on this board

JG
Old 11-26-2005, 04:42 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Sure JG, clinically it's called "delusions of grandeur".

Ha
I had a regular Saturday luncheon group, one day per month.
It was about 90 miles one way for me. When I added the lunch and
the gas it looked pretty expensive, so I cut back my attendance.
Shortly after that they announced they were disbanding. DW
said, "Well, I guess that just proves the world really does
revolve around you!"

JG
Old 11-26-2005, 06:49 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

We have a small motorhome. The problem with motorhomes is that they depreciate--enventually to nothing. However, we love traveling around the US and love being in the woods in relative luxury, so we bought it anyway. But it sure can cut into the net worth.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote