Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Moving and retirement
Old 11-26-2005, 07:56 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

We own a plot of land in the mountains...The plan was to build a cabin and spend summers up there after full retirement.* This is still very appealing, but the sunk costs would be significant, and then there is overhead.* Unless you plan to rent it out to offset expenses it can be hard to justify this type of asset.* The appreciation potential is hard to predict.

We could do a lot of camper or motel travel for what the carrying costs on the cabin would be, and not be tied to one destination.* I'm reluctant to give up on the cabin, but reality is pretty persuasive.*
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2005, 09:19 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok
We own a plot of land in the mountains...The plan was to build a cabin and spend summers up there after full retirement. This is still very appealing, but the sunk costs would be significant, and then there is overhead. Unless you plan to rent it out to offset expenses it can be hard to justify this type of asset. The appreciation potential is hard to predict.

We could do a lot of camper or motel travel for what the carrying costs on the cabin would be, and not be tied to one destination. I'm reluctant to give up on the cabin, but reality is pretty persuasive.
My brother has owns a small 2-bdrm cabin in northern Michigan for over ten years. He rents it out at times to off set the expenses. For the most part it has worked out well for him--especially when he has good, well screened, and long-term renters. He's adjusted to the importance of this "fact." When he has a good renter, he doesn't kick them out so that he can use the place at his convienence. H e just lets the good renters ride and banks the money. When they leave, he uses the cabin more frequently while he waits for better renters.

With bad renters and short-term ones, the main problem has been the septic. He's had to fix it numerous times times at a fairly steep cost, and he doesn't find out till the tenants are long gone. It's a real education experience , so he's adapted to the first strategy.

--Greg
Old 11-26-2005, 11:49 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
We have a small motorhome.* The problem with motorhomes is that they depreciate--enventually to nothing.* However, we love traveling around the US and love being in the woods in relative luxury, so we bought it anyway.* But it sure can cut into the net worth.*
We've considered this - not seriously yet, though. How small is your small motorhome?

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:37 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
We've considered this - not seriously yet, though. How small is your small motorhome?

It is a 23.5' Lazy Daze:

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 04:06 PM   #65

As I might have suspected! A high end aluminum clad Class C with almost a cultish following. Lots of windows, airy wide rear view views, reknowned quality. I have never actually seen one in person, but it was on the short list during the research phase. Which version do you have? Front/rear lounge? Front dinette?

My RV is the supposedly the same size, but the exterior photos make the 23.5' Lazy Daze look much larger.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

MRGALT2U said:
Quote:
"Well, I guess that just proves the world really does
revolve around you!"*
Your wife should be cherished for her sense of humor! I do hope you realize the gem you have!*

Martha said:
Quote:
The problem with motorhomes is that they depreciate--enventually to nothing. However, we love traveling around the US and love being in the woods in relative luxury, so we bought it anyway. But it sure can cut into the net worth.
When we first returned from Nevis, West Indies, we bought a 5th wheel,.. uh, .. trailer to tour around the US in..* ** We bought a used one in cherry condition for almost nothing. For the years we owned it, and the rent and maintenance costs we saved, it paid for itself over and over and over. For us, at that time, it was a very good decision and a profitable/rewarding one.* 8) We did change the carpeting, and wallpapered the inside, and eventually replaced the refrigerator, so the insides were new..

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 11-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
MRGALT2U said:
Your wife should be cherished for her sense of humor! I do hope you realize the gem you have!*

Martha said:
When we first returned from Nevis, West Indies, we bought a 5th wheel,.. uh, .. trailer to tour around the US in..* ** We bought a used one in cherry condition for almost nothing. For the years we owned it, and the rent and maintenance costs we saved, it paid for itself over and over and over. For us, at that time, it was a very good decision and a profitable/rewarding one.* 8) We did change the carpeting, and wallpapered the inside, and eventually replaced the refrigerator, so the insides were new..

Akaisha
Akaisha, how big was it, and what did you pull it with?

Ha
Old 11-27-2005, 06:23 AM   #68

Dh and I have discussed this over and over. He started out wanting to buy a second home in FL...I on the other hand don't like it there for more than the two weeks we visit. I would prefer to travel to different areas of the country. So that dicussion spawned the motorhome idea which I considered at first as a possible option. I've since changed my mind and feel that a trailer would be a better idea for two reasons. First you need to tow something to drive once you arrive so if you're going to tow something then tow the home instead of a vehicle. Second, why have two vehicles you need to register, insure and maintain and I believe that the insurance and registration of a trailer is going to be much less than say a small car or pickup truck. Dh has finally come around and more so now that he's found a trailer that he can load the bikes into as well.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:08 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
As I might have suspected! A high end aluminum clad Class C with almost a cultish following. Lots of windows, airy wide rear view views, reknowned quality. I have never actually seen one in person, but it was on the short list during the research phase. Which version do you have? Front/rear lounge? Front dinette?

My RV is the supposedly the same size, but the exterior photos make the 23.5' Lazy Daze look much larger.
Yeah, but we refused to join the cult. We have the twin/king where the two couches in the back turn into a king size bed. It is fairly wide, which adds considerably to the space. Very nice floor plan for the size. We considered various sprinter chassis motorhomes, but felt they were too small. The one you bought wasn't out yet. We also considered Born Free. We are very happy with what we got and the size is about perfect. Fits two people and two dogs just fine.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:10 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok
We own a plot of land in the mountains...The plan was to build a cabin and spend summers up there after full retirement.*
We also bought a plot of land in the mtns of CO-except ours had 4 log walls.* I just can't resist things with potential.* Anyway, we finished it and are hoping to rent it until we get to where we can spend summers there and winters here (so AZ).* We own 2 acres and may (and that's a big may) build a small cabin/cottage on one of the acres for a place to spend time until then. Maybe something like this
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm# I think they've been mentioned here before.

However, I still like the motorhome/5thW travel option. My backyard could change anytime I want.

Judy
Old 11-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Akaisha, how big was it, and what did you pull it with?

Ha
28 foot 5th Wheel, and we pulled it with a 1Ton Chevy Silverado, (towing package).* It had the kitchen in the center, and it was the largest room in the, uh...* trailer * - but for us, the kitchen is very important, since Billy is a chef, and we used to own a restaurant...*

Outtahere
Quote:
I've since changed my mind and feel that a trailer would be a better idea for two reasons.* First you need to tow something to drive once you arrive so if you're going to tow something then tow the home instead of a vehicle.* Second, why have two vehicles you need to register, insure and maintain and I believe that the insurance and registration of a trailer is going to be much less than say a small car or pickup truck.* Dh has finally come around and more so now that he's found a trailer that he can load the bikes into as well.
Our feelings exactly. Plus, if one has a class A and something goes wrong, then the repair men must come to your site - or - if you are able to drive to the repair places,... then you have no place to stay and no vehicle (unless you have towed one) until they finish.

When the engine goes out in an Class A or C, you either have to rebuild the whole thing, or 'lose your home.'* :P

With the 1Ton, and separate 5th Wheel, we can sell either at any time, repair either at any time, or upgrade either. More options.**

Akaisha
Old 11-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a 31 foot HILO trailer off rvtrader.com. It tows easy. Removed one side of the bench seat from the kitchen table since I'm in a wheelchair. Had the hallway widened so chair will fit through mid position bathroom to the bedroom in the rear of the trailer. Wife wanted the dedicated bedroom, hides all the mess and if you want privacy you've got it. Stay at Army Corps parks and National parks. They are usually in the most beautiful places and we get half off on our camping fees. 8)
Old 12-05-2005, 06:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I had a regular Saturday luncheon group, one day per month.
It was about 90 miles one way for me.* When I added the lunch and
the gas it looked pretty expensive, so I cut back my attendance.
Shortly after that they announced they were disbanding.* DW
said,* "Well, I guess that just proves the world really does
revolve around you!"*

JG
DW has an excellent sense of humor. Once I was on the phone
talking about financial matters and mentioned that my brain
was "working 24/7"......... DW was nearby and said "So's your mouth!"

My mother would like to have central air. Dad won't hear of it.
Mom joked that she would get it "when I'm a widow".
My Dad was ailing and I couldn't reach Mom on the phone to
get his status. DW opined that she was talking with the local HAV
people, placing an order.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote