Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2021, 11:39 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats you will love the Boerne area. A lot of new home subdivisions out that way. I little to the west of there is where you will probably find more acreage. Your agent will probably know more where the good finds will be for what you are looking for.
WWDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2022, 07:27 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
New Braunfels is the best spot to live. I lived in Texas for 30 years, 4 in San Antonio. If I moved back to Texas, that would be the place. Be advised, it gets damn hot there. New Braunfels used to be pretty much by itself, but now San Antonio to Austin is one big place.

Hi
Just visited New Braunfels. Land is really expensive and getting crowded like everywhere I guess . Thx
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:12 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Funny how Texas is building up , where are the people coming from . We have been out of the country for a month . When we passed through the TSA at the airport the officer looked at the passport and said ahhhh nice area . I asked him you know that is at . He says yea people are discovering that area. Now where we live is a poor / old area. No big businesses at all . 60 miles north of Houston. So when we drive home and come to our little ghost town there is a big sign of a new sub division homes from 399.999 ….Who wants to live 20 miles from a Walmart or any real stores in a sub division ? To me this seems weird .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:48 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Funny how Texas is building up , where are the people coming from . We have been out of the country for a month . When we passed through the TSA at the airport the officer looked at the passport and said ahhhh nice area . I asked him you know that is at . He says yea people are discovering that area. Now where we live is a poor / old area. No big businesses at all . 60 miles north of Houston. So when we drive home and come to our little ghost town there is a big sign of a new sub division homes from 399.999 ….Who wants to live 20 miles from a Walmart or any real stores in a sub division ? To me this seems weird .
Yep... Boerne, Tx is interesting though, we do like the area and the folks are very friendly. Now in our 60's we are spending time traveling. Came back from Mexico last month and heading overseas for the winter starting in Early Dec through end of Feb.
Old 08-20-2022, 12:26 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
Came back from Mexico last month and heading overseas for the winter starting in Early Dec through end of Feb.
I'm sure you have your reasons, but if it were me I'd spend the winter here and travel somewhere (anywhere!) cooler in the summer.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:14 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm sure you have your reasons, but if it were me I'd spend the winter here and travel somewhere (anywhere!) cooler in the summer.
Yeah correct. Just went for a quick 4 day trip to attend a destination wedding. Mostly overseas for the winter or maybe Florida in 2025.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:56 PM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
So when we drive home and come to our little ghost town there is a big sign of a new sub division homes from 399.999 ….Who wants to live 20 miles from a Walmart or any real stores in a sub division ? To me this seems weird .
The Walmarts usually aren't far behind once subdivisions start sprouting in the middle of nowhere.
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 02:43 AM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I worked often in Texas flying in from Atlanta. It's a great big ole state, and the distances are quite far between most cities. I always enjoyed their Tex Mex food, and the people are great.

But I think the same about San Antonio, Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth like I think about my beloved Atlanta. The traffic is just so overwhelming and there are too many people trying to go to the same places at the same time.

In those 10 years in Atlanta, we spent our weekends up in the North Georgia Mountains. We sold our house for list price to the third person that saw it and moved.

There are so many great southern cities and towns that allow you to live more peacefully. And places where other great cities are within a weekend's drive.

Note; My best friend sold his North Dallas house when his property taxes hit $50,000--and moved into a luxury apartment. Because my wife's disabled, our 4000 square foot Alabama home has no property taxes.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:31 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

agree with the idea of not buying until you're more familiar with the area. suggest you add Kerrville and Fredericksburg to your list. Kerrville is the county seat of Kerr County and has just about everything you could want. Ingram is about 10-mi west of Kerrville, a very small town but not as small as Hunt, about 10-mi west of Ingram. Fredericksburg is a bit larger than Kerrville but again has everything you're looking for.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:55 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I worked often in Texas flying in from Atlanta. It's a great big ole state, and the distances are quite far between most cities. I always enjoyed their Tex Mex food, and the people are great.

But I think the same about San Antonio, Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth like I think about my beloved Atlanta. The traffic is just so overwhelming and there are too many people trying to go to the same places at the same time.

In those 10 years in Atlanta, we spent our weekends up in the North Georgia Mountains. We sold our house for list price to the third person that saw it and moved.

There are so many great southern cities and towns that allow you to live more peacefully. And places where other great cities are within a weekend's drive.

Note; My best friend sold his North Dallas house when his property taxes hit $50,000--and moved into a luxury apartment. Because my wife's disabled, our 4000 square foot Alabama home has no property taxes.
Yep. Atlanta borned and raised who spent 6 years in San Antonio thanks to Uncle Sugar. The two are quite different but IMHO the problems that drove me out of Atlanta are the same as San Antonio. Great places to visit but I don't want to live in either area, now.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by googily View Post
The Walmarts usually aren't far behind once subdivisions start sprouting in the middle of nowhere.
In those parts, it would be the HEB going in...
Old 08-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

We live out in the country, and it's 10 miles to a Walmart or Kroger.

But we have Dollar General stores 3 miles in every direction--and they're building new stores as fast as they can be put in. I'm in there every day.

Makes living outside of town a viable option to big city traffic and societal problems.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:27 PM   #113
Administrator

When I lived in Dallas back in 1986, I wondered why, in such a huge state, those people didn't spread out a little. The lots were so small that you could have a yard or a pool, but not both.