My 2016 Work Performance Goal: Retire in June

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Had the fun(??) of having to do my 2016 work performance goals. Besides the normal megacorp BS, which at this point I just tell boss to let me know what he wants it to say, I have serious DGAS (don't give a sh!t) attitude now anyway with less than 6 months to go to my target date of June 2016. In the career development box I put "Convert to part-time or retire in June" :LOL:

Not sure if my boss really thought any of my hints of me working because I want to were serious, but he does now. :D My co-workers could not believe I really put that on my 2016 performance form. It is now formally accepted and in the system with those words for my career development.

I really am considering the P/T mainly for insurance reasons. At 3 days/wk P/T I can get same insurance co-pay as current F/T, and it would be a lot less than I would pay compared with my former employer retiree health program. Difference is like $800/mo for DW and me to stay on current employer subsidized vs my former employer retiree plan. Both are good health insurance, not the crappy ACA super high deductible plans. It would also let me put off a year or two of living off savings withdrawal, although I would not be saving as much as currently, may even have to cut back to just minimum to get company match on 401k. DW already went to a P/T type position at her work.

So I am not sure if the P/T will work out, have to see what boss comes back with as potential job assignments. Also not sure if that is OMY syndrome? I guess it kind of is, although I would be able to do a lot more of what I want in retirement: more and longer RV travel, working in garage on my old cars, working around house, and spend more time growing my home-based very small business. The home based business is mainly for tax write-off now, could be better tax write-off if I could spend more time on it. My P/T plan would get a lot of the benefits of retired, but it would mean still technically working.

....Both are good health insurance, not the crappy ACA super high deductible plans. ...

If you're healthy, you'll probably find out that that a HDHI plan probably costs a lot less than your super duper plan even after the deductible and co-pays.

The pricing of many silver and gold plans is designed so you're just paying for the deductible in installments whether you end up using services or not.

I just put down on mine, "Help out on projects where I can provide value".

Be sure to understand the advantages of staying until ~7/5/2016. Pensions sometimes take 1,000 for another year. July 1 you get July benefits, which may include over a day of vacation. July 4th is a holiday if you get paid on the 5th.

When I pulled the plug, just cut to the chase and said I am retiring at the end of April, so will not be completing my performance plan for the year.

When I pulled the plug, just cut to the chase and said I am retiring at the end of April, so will not be completing my performance plan for the year.

That's easier said than done, at least it was for me.

I was going to retire in May (2015) and my manager called me in Feb and insisted on doing the performance plan and goals for me for the year. I said it was a waste of time, and she insisted we had to do it because we had to "dot the i(s) and cross the t(s)". What can I say? I put away my work for 30 minutes and went through this process with her. I wanted to leave Megacorp on a good note. But I never spoke to my manager after that review; she didn't call me and I didn't call her.

I suppose I should have sent an e-mail to Dilbert's creator so he could make use of another example of the idiocy in corporations.

Be sure to understand the advantages of staying until ~7/5/2016. Pensions sometimes take 1,000 for another year. July 1 you get July benefits, which may include over a day of vacation. July 4th is a holiday if you get paid on the 5th.

Appreciate the comment, but my current job has no pension plan. However, along the lines of your thoughts I do have a vesting period that will qualify about mid-May 2016. Therefore the June target date. That mid-May gives me the 3 years credit that is required for the vesting.

Megacorp does not have that flexibility, I have to submit a 2016 plan. So my comment about the DGAS for the corp BS stuff just to fill in the form. You know all those wonderful "support the corp, division and department goals and milestones", "shape the future", "build and maintain effective relationships", "energize the team", "model personal excellence"....... (where's the barf smiley:confused:)

H In the career development box I put "Convert to part-time or retire in June" :LOL:

Not sure if my boss really thought any of my hints of me working because I want to were serious, but he does now. :D

Curious, what was his reaction when he saw it? Has he said anything?

Had the fun(??) of having to do my 2016 work performance goals. Besides the normal megacorp BS, which at this point I just tell boss to let me know what he wants it to say, I have serious DGAS (don't give a sh!t) attitude now anyway with less than 6 months to go to my target date of June 2016. In the career development box I put "Convert to part-time or retire in June" :LOL:

I love it! :LOL: Now THAT had to make your day, I'd imagine. :D

Good luck in achieving your plans to semi-ER or ER in June. It's going to be a great summer. :)

Curious, what was his reaction when he saw it? Has he said anything?

Boss and i had already had limited discussion prior about P/T, this was first I actually defined a June deadline. He said he has brought P/T up to higher mgmt and they are "working on it".

I sincerely did not do it as a threat, a 3 days/wk schedule would allow for doing a lot more retirement type activities, although not fully. If the P/T dopes not work out, then fully retire in June is fine with me also. As I stated the real reason would be to keep current health insurance, not really because having to work for the money. But it would allow for delaying the withdrawals for 1-2 years. No way I want to do P/T more than 2 years.

<snip.>
...Megacorp does not have that flexibility, I have to submit a 2016 plan. So my comment about the DGAS for the corp BS stuff just to fill in the form. You know all those wonderful "support the corp, division and department goals and milestones", "shape the future", "build and maintain effective relationships", "energize the team", "model personal excellence"....... (where's the barf smiley:confused:)

The barf smiley made me laugh out loud !

I once wrote my performance objective as follows: "Save enough to retire early". I don't think anyone actually read it.

Gosh, it sure is nice not to have to go through all that Performance Humbo Jumbo. When I had a bunch of people working for me, it was torturous doing all that paperwork.

And it's nice that 38Chevy has taken time and efforts to establish some really good hobbies for retirement.

And I'm sure glad that my wife doesn't take time to give me a Performance Review. I'd be put on probation immediately, as she expects more out me than my MegaCompany did.

Boss and i had already had limited discussion prior about P/T, this was first I actually defined a June deadline. He said he has brought P/T up to higher mgmt and they are "working on it".

I sincerely did not do it as a threat, a 3 days/wk schedule would allow for doing a lot more retirement type activities, although not fully. If the P/T dopes not work out, then fully retire in June is fine with me also. As I stated the real reason would be to keep current health insurance, not really because having to work for the money. But it would allow for delaying the withdrawals for 1-2 years. No way I want to do P/T more than 2 years.

I hope it works out for you!

All that plan and goal stuff is just a hazy memory these days. End of January I will be retired 9 years.

Appreciate the comment, but my current job has no pension plan. However, along the lines of your thoughts I do have a vesting period that will qualify about mid-May 2016. Therefore the June target date. That mid-May gives me the 3 years credit that is required for the vesting.

Megacorp does not have that flexibility, I have to submit a 2016 plan. So my comment about the DGAS for the corp BS stuff just to fill in the form. You know all those wonderful "support the corp, division and department goals and milestones", "shape the future", "build and maintain effective relationships", "energize the team", "model personal excellence"....... (where's the barf smiley:confused:)
And here I thought I was in the minority with idiotic megacorp. 2 months left to go for me. A real IDGAS attitude for me as they don't yet know I'm going. I'm waiting for notice of the required performance review with 2016 goals to be completed in next couple weeks, going to follow your example. [emoji6]

Even after 8 years away from this stuff, I'm getting daymares from this thread.

That's my date to retire for all the same reasons. I smh when I see someone planning to retire on the 30th or 31st of the month, or just days before a holiday. That also conflicts with a LBYM mindset. Just the extra month of company paid health care by working the first day of the next month is worth about $1,000 by working one day in that month. Why not grab a whole extra paid month of healthcare by working on the 1st? Don't take the mindset that your making it easier for the companies accounting department or it's cleaner on the books. That's foolhardy.

Oh and 38chevy... Describe your bosses reaction when he realizes what you wrote.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Boy this strikes a chord with me. I did my plan also and like you, there's no option to "not do it". Mine read something like "continue to provide support and guidance where needed".

I'd love to go P/T, I think. Our rules don't allow it. You have to be gone 12 months and then be rehired as a contractor. Funny, I see it happen occasionally immediately. Shows you that some managers know how to break the rules.

Wow...this thread reminded me of one of the reasons I retired almost 2 years ahead of ER Plan.
We had performance goals and tracking around getting our teams annual performance goals completed and in the system. Reports were sent out daily with the red/yellow/green color coding. This was at least a 2-month process. And don't get me started on the annual review and merit process. I don't miss that crap at all.
In fact, I gave my 30-day notice just after submitting my performance review/merit ratings for my managers. My Director and I couldn't agree on one of my manager's performance ratings. I rated her "exceed expectations" and he agreed she did.....but his VP didn't care for her casual attire and told him she expected me to rate her "meets expectations". BS bucket was already full.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
For most of my time at my MegaCorp I have written my own performance review. I write it in third person and send it to my boss so she can pick and choose what she wants to use with little to no editing required. Needless to say, I've gotten excellent reviews. One year, she and I had a lot of conflict so I foolishly said "screw her, let her write it herself." That was the worst review I have ever received and it was full of factual inaccuracies. My boss is a mean and vindictive Michael Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I had my last annual performance review yesterday. It's nice to have that completed. It went well. I like my boss. But, he didn't know it was my last annual performance review.

I hated the goal setting hassle. It was so pointless because projects would get cancelled, new projects created... I wanted to put "Work hard at whatever assignment I'm given"... since that was accurate. Boss always vetoed it. But I tried every year. Instead I had a bunch of goals created that were obsolete by the end of the year, due to decisions made by executives several levels above me...

Since I have decided on my ER date of January 2018, I had a difficult time creating the expected long-term goals. Really, I had a hard time creating short-term goals, too. I haven't tipped my hand yet to let my manager know my planned exit date.

Since I was promoted with my last performance review, I threw together something along the lines of 'be proficient in the skills and tools needed for the new position' and 'contribute to the success of my new team'. Completely skipped the long-term goal. Haven't heard any complaints yet!

Back
Top Bottom