Join Early Retirement Today

my dog had a seizure.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

my dog had a seizure.

Hi All,

I live with two dogs, teddy(9yo male) and greta(10yo female).

All of sudden, he had a seizure last night. It was so shocking to me. I didnt expect this at all. He had some medical issue, but I never expected seizure. It was about 5 min in my guess I was too panic to time it. I thought I was losing him yesterday. His consciousness was out and he was not breathing right, and he ended up with frothy drooling.

One of reason I wanted to RE was my dogs. they were fine until yesterday, but I am still shocking with unexpected it. he has hypothyroidism and joint and deformed paw issue, but I never expect seizure issue like this. Also, I cooked for him all his life and went walking every day for brain stimulation. his blood work has been ok. but I heard his sibling dog got genetic anemia issue which have to get shots for the rest of life. So I was recommended to check but he was fine.

I went to emergency center after the seizure and only had blood work, which was normal. And I am recommended to go regular clinic, scheduled on this coming Saturday.

He has been momma boy for his whole life, but recently it was a bit more can't stay himself. Now I am sensing he is losing weight too.

I moved recently, not related the seizure, but I thought airbnb house was giving us too much stimulation.

Is there anyone your dog has seizure problem? I hope he has no brain tumor or cancer etc.

I am so worried of him.
retire to nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've got a Yorkie that has a seizure every month or two. Not nearly as severe as your dog. His legs move uncontrollably for a few minutes. I just hold him and calm him. Overheating is a big risk.

He looks at me as it kicks in, and I just comfort him. It ends, and he usually sleeps a bit more than usual.

Good luck.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sorry to hear about your dog’s seizure.

I work with dogs (training, daycare, boarding). I’ve seen dogs live long lives despite having had a seizure. Sometimes it is a rare occurrence and the dog just continues with his normal life and routines. Sometimes it’s an ongoing thing, but can be treated with medication. Unfortunately, sometimes it is a signal of more serious health issues.

You definitely want to work closely with your vet to diagnose the condition and determine next steps.
jrcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My old golden retriever had them but not to the extent as you described. The vet put her on phenobarbital and she never had another one.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #5

Our last Corgi and our Red-Boned Coonhound both had seizures in their elder years. The good news was that they weren't that often and that they passed relatively quickly with minimal impact. Unfortunately, they were likely harbingers of other problems.

Consult you vet, but there is likely not much actionable on your part.

Sorry to hear. It is uncomfortable to watch while happening, but we always felt our pups "shook it off" pretty quickly.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #6

Our first Golden had a couple after ball chasing activities on warm days. He was about 4-5 years old at the time. we would not throw much on warm days after that. He lived to 15.5 years old. Not much help I know. it scared me bad at the time

Good luck
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #7

Our family dog had epilepsy when I was a kid and it caused occasional seizures. I don't recall what medications we used.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our 13yo Shitzu Chin mix just had a couple. We got a new puppy and when we let them work out their differences I found our old one lying on her side one day. I thought it was odd but had no idea. Two days later I witnessed the entire thing, poor girl just feel over, legs moving while she lost her bladder. Afterwards she was odd for the rest of the day. Both times the pup was overstimulted and she suffered.

I don't know how this turns out for our old girl. I do know stress can make people lose their minds I'm hoping it's all there is here.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for the all the replies. My boy is american eskimo mix. I have put zinc oxide ointment for his paw which deformed and touch each other too tight while I wrap up for walking. He has been licking the ointment. And it is for cream for human. I know human antibiotic cream works for dogs too. It just came to me when the cream was around me it would work for his issue. So it has been applied about a year and he always licked after he came back from walking after i took off the gauze wrap.

ointment licking can cause toxic? I was thinking many stuffs while I was waiting for him.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...W8keIbzfvmfowp
Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Our first Golden had a couple after ball chasing activities on warm days. He was about 4-5 years old at the time. we would not throw much on warm days after that. He lived to 15.5 years old. Not much help I know. it scared me bad at the time

Good luck
Thank you for the reply. I have done stupid stuff for my dog on hot day. when he was 1yo. it was extremely hot day in CA, but we were ball playing. I was terrible owner thinking proud myself playing with my dog not recognized the heat. I was thinking he had some heat stroke or heart problem on the day, but he was young enough not to show any symptoms on the day. But he refused to go out on hot day like a trauma of the day.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:33 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I dont have any insurance for my dogs since I was cooking for him and he has been healthy side so far. Yesterday Dr said his blood work is actually good for his age. I just looked up how much cost for CT scan for dogs. it says 1k to 1.5k plus anesthesia.
Do I have to buy an insurance or too late to buy?

He had 3 surgeries so far. one for bitten by another dog, two ACL surgery. It costed probably more than $7500 I didnt mind pay in cash.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #12

our first JRT had a few, his first after a dose of doggy sedative for the fireworks at the 4th of July. it turns out that the drug the vet used can cause seizure activity.
skyking1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #13
Administrator

I have only ever had cats, but one did have seizures. The vet prescribed phenobarbital, which worked perfectly for her, and she ended up living a long full life. It is my understanding that they also use it for dogs. You should consult your veterinarian. The medicine is inexpensive.

You may find this link helpful -- https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...more%20popular.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:38 AM   #14

We have a 15 yo chow mix, 3 months ago he started having mild seizures.

Our vet prescribed low dose phenobarbital seems to do the job.