My first month of ER

Congratulations martyp! Retirement is really a good thing. Thanks for sharing your 1st month experience.

I just hit the 1 year mark at the end of January and all is good and I just couldn't imagine going back to work.

My morning starts early since I go to the pool 5 mornings a week for water aerobics at 6 am so I only sleep in a bit on Sat. or Sun. The morning is so much more relaxed though. I often hang around the lobby after my waterX and read the paper, then home for a cup of tea and breakfast. I spend lots of time surfing the internet although overall computer time is much less than when I was working. Anyway retirement is much more about doing things when and how I want rather than meeting someone else's schedule.

Marty, Thanks for your post, it is most encouraging to a want a be. My biggest concern about early retirement is the weather and coldness that goes with Winter time. How does that affect you? Seems that Spring and Summer would be a breeze but not sure about that cold indoor time. Do the walls close in on you as cabin fever developes?

I really enjoyed reading this, particularly the point about stress reduction. When the time comes and I'm asked why I am retiring -- stress is going to be at the top of my list.

I had to check and make sure I didn't write that about 6 months ago. It sounds very familiar. Congrats on the new life.

Bossonova said:
Marty:
Winter is a brave time of the year to ER, definitely in the Northeast, and possibly too in SF, where you are. It's great you are doing so well with the transition.....imagine what it will be like when spring rolls around in a few months.
(written in midst of an Ice Storm)

Sorry about your ice storm. I remember them from my childhood. Jan in CA has been 60 deg & sunny. We do get rain sometimes.

fun in the sun said:
Marty, Thanks for your post, it is most encouraging to a want a be. My biggest concern about early retirement is the weather and coldness that goes with Winter time. How does that affect you? Seems that Spring and Summer would be a breeze but not sure about that cold indoor time. Do the walls close in on you as cabin fever developes?

I am running out vacation until Mar 1st. One advantage to leaving in Dec were all the paid vacation days. Weather has been nice in CA. I am looking forward to spring to take some good motorcycle trips.

Congratulations. Keeps those of us still working inspired to get where you are someday! Please give us updates!

Congrats and a good post. I too experience what you wrote and I'm on my 6th month of retirement. Early retirement cured my insomnia which I've had all through my working life. Now I have more sleep nights than sleepless nights. Work stress is really bad for health. Looking forward to your next update.

Back
Top Bottom