Join Early Retirement Today

My old j*b is available
Old 12-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My old j*b is available

I went to my ex-megacorps job site and did a search on positions available in my old department. Well I'll be darned, my old position is available. I had a brief moment of insanity where I considered calling my ex-boss to discuss it. The thought was I would blow whatever money I made on awesome travel. And then I remembered how full my BS bucket was and went back to drinking my tea without a worry in the world.

Retirement is wonderful.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I went to my ex-megacorps job site and did a search on positions available in my old department. Well I'll be darned, my old position is available. I had a brief moment of insanity where I considered calling my ex-boss to discuss it. The thought was I would blow whatever money I made on awesome travel. And then I remembered how full my BS bucket was and went back to drinking my tea without a worry in the world.

Retirement is wonderful.
Write it off as a bout of temporary insanity.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To those that were "laid off" or terminated at company option, do you feel you were a victim of age discrimination?

When they agreed to pay 1 year's severance pay, unemployment and a salary supplement until age 62, I had to give them a hold harmless agreement.

My feelings were not hurt. I loved retiring at age 58, and it was the best thing to ever happen to me.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

Quote:

Retirement is wonderful.
How long have you been retired and out of the job? If it has been awhile, then they probably held back on posting it to save money.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
To those that were "laid off" or terminated at company option, do you feel you were a victim of age discrimination?

When they agreed to pay 1 year's severance pay, unemployment and a salary supplement until age 62, I had to give them a hold harmless agreement.

My feelings were not hurt. I loved retiring at age 58, and it was the best thing to ever happen to me.
Entirely possible. I was 47 when I was whacked, which in the IT world is pretty old. Plus my BS bucket was filling to the point where I didn't really feel like continuing to study every new emerging technology to keep my career going. So I pretty much knew when I was laid off, my IT career was finished and I was OK with it. I "only" received 6 months of severance pay but that was enough to ease the wounds, such as they were. And as I recently said elsewhere, it was the second best thing that ever happened to me. I took a couple months entirely off, then eased into part time w*rk where I put in about 20 hours a week on average, getting great medical benefits which I can carry into full retirement at age 59 if I can make it another 8 years and 4 months...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I went to my ex-megacorps job site and did a search on positions available in my old department...
Why oh why would you do such a thing?!?

There are *so* many other things on the the internet that you can waste your time on...so for the sake of all things that are holy...watch this instead!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Write it off as a bout of temporary insanity.

omni
Oh it was definitely that ! And today out of the blue my ex-boss calls me. I told him about my little bit of insanity and he said "I'm ready to take you back whenever you want !".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
How long have you been retired and out of the job? If it has been awhile, then they probably held back on posting it to save money.
18 months. From what my ex-boss just told me there has been tremendous turnover. I guess there were alot of people with full BS buckets !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Why oh why would you do such a thing?!?

There are *so* many other things on the the internet that you can waste your time on
Excellent advice !

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh it was definitely that ! And today out of the blue my ex-boss calls me. I told him about my little bit of insanity and he said "I'm ready to take you back whenever you want !".

18 months. From what my ex-boss just told me there has been tremendous turnover. I guess there were alot of people with full BS buckets !

Excellent advice !
You are in a strategic position. 2-3 days of consulting, and train your replacement the right way. Create a model transition plan for the losers...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
You are in a strategic position. 2-3 days of consulting, and train your replacement the right way. Create a model transition plan for the losers...
Oh my - that sounds like *work* ! But it could pay for a few big trips. Hmmmmmmm .... now I need to think about that

Old 12-17-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh my - that sounds like *work* ! But it could pay for a few big trips. Hmmmmmmm .... now I need to think about that
We are pretty stingy. I realized that 2-3 years work, in the right situation, would pay for a lot of stuff. It has to be the right situation, though. Megacorp beat the crap out of me. LOL.

I worked 4 days this week, for minicorp. After a customer gave me an impossible task to complete in four days, I decided to do it at home. Boss approved my request in less than a minute. Worked two long days at the kitchen table. Impossible conditions!

Have a nice year.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #11

Aw, Come on , Send in the resume. See if they practice age descrimination.

Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #12

My old job is also available. And all the doctors and all but one nurse practitioner left the practice in the last three years. Several had been with the group 20 years. I'm the only one who retired from a suddenly toxic environment.

The last two years my part time work income was wiped out by taxes on capital gains from a major portfolio rebalance. Next year we should be in the 15% tax bracket; almost all cap gains distributions and qualified dividends, so no federal income tax. I can't afford to work!

Retirement is indeed wonderful.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Aw, Come on , Send in the resume. See if they practice age descrimination.
Heck no - I might get the j*b ! I am happy to report I am back to my sane happily retired self.