Join Early Retirement Today

My PT (perpetual travel) adventure continues
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My PT (perpetual travel) adventure continues

I've been in Tucson for nearly 2 months and living here has been fantastic. I have some nice people and enjoyed riding my bike (over 300 miles last week) around and about this beautiful and bicycle friendly desert town but the Land of Smiles beckons me once more so I bought my ticket to head back in mid November. I plan to be in Southeast Asia from 6 to 10 months.This new adventure will help me determine if I'll enjoy and be comfortable with PTing in non-English, non-Euro cultures and if I don't, I guess I'll have to try again and again and again until I do!

Of course, I am taking my folding bicycle to keep me company.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: My PT (perpetual travel) adventure continues
Old 10-16-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

vagabond,

Which folding bike(s) do you favour? I am thinking about something that can go on the commuter train.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you are adapting well so far to the new lifestyle. Where are you going to visit is SE asia? Are you keeping an apartment in Arizona?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
I've been in Tucson for nearly 2 months and living here has been fantastic.
I enjoyed Tucson very much when we lived there, though it took some getting used to.

One of the nice things if you plan to travel a lot is that you generally don't have to worry about hurricanes, blizzards, floods, earthquakes, tornados, or deep freezes.

Have you checked out Bob Dobbs tavern? Corner of Broadway and...hmm forgot the street but it's not far from Country Club(a few blocks west). Best garlic hamburgers I can remember.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #5

vagabond,

I'm very interested in your vagabonding. Please keep us up to date here with your travels and adventures. Do you have a website?

Have fun in SE Asia.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
vagabond,

Which folding bike(s) do you favour? I am thinking about something that can go on the commuter train.
I bought a Swift folder which can be made into a great touring and commuting bike.
The bike you select would be based on how much money you want to spend, how easily and compact you need the bike to be, how many daily miles you want to ride and finally, do you want to use it for other activities besides commuting.

Here is a great website that can help you with your decision.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221

Hope this helps you.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
It sounds like you are adapting well so far to the new lifestyle. Where are you going to visit is SE asia? Are you keeping an apartment in Arizona?
I currently living in a comfortable hotel room which I pay by the month so when I leave here, I will not have the expense of keeping an apartment. My friend hooked me up with a good friend of his who is letting me use his address as my residence, storing my limited possessions and letting me park my car for a whopping $40/month.
Like Billy and Akaisha, I plan to use Chiang Mai Thailand as my homebase. I enjoyed being there for 2 weeks last year because it was less congested , more laidback and a lot safer to ride my bike then Bangkok. I probably will spend off and (mostly) on 4 to 6 months in CM. From there, I want to explore the region by taking upto 200 mile RT bike trips or if too difficult take the trips by bus with my bike folded up. I probably will spend several months touring the neighboring countries as well. Travelling alone makes it easy to go without any plans other than buying my air ticket.
I am really excited. I feel like I am running away from home (what home?) I also know that it won't always be a picnic, being alone (finding a nice companion isn't always a baht away), dealing with the language and customs, riding my bike on my own in the middle of nowhere, and who knows what else, but I'm psyched and ready to R&R. It feels like I am ERing all over again.

Vagabond (MJ)
Old 10-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I enjoyed Tucson very much when we lived there, though it took some getting used to.

One of the nice things if you plan to travel a lot is that you generally don't have to worry about hurricanes, blizzards, floods, earthquakes, tornados, or deep freezes.

Have you checked out Bob Dobbs tavern? Corner of Broadway and...hmm forgot the street but it's not far from Country Club(a few blocks west). Best garlic hamburgers I can remember.
Thanks. I'll give it a try next time I have a yen for a burger. I do love garlic. I just had 2 large cloves with my nice thick cheese sandwich.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
vagabond,

I'm very interested in your vagabonding. Please keep us up to date here with your travels and adventures. Do you have a website?
Have fun in SE Asia.
I tend to be rather lazy when it comes to writing down my thoughts or experiences. But I will seriously think about starting a blog and see how that will work out. I definitely will be taking lots of nice photos. I am bringing 2 SD cards with a total memory of 2.5 gig. I should be able to capture a lot of images. I have been riding all over Tucson and would have loved to take some outstanding shots of the scenery but when I ride with the clubs, averaging 18 to 21 mph, stopping, means losing the group.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #10

Thanks for the update, MJ!!

Hey, I have wondered about maintaining part of the year status in the states, since I don't own and it is not really practical to rent an apartment for 3-6 months at a time. Also, I might be able to stay near different friends this way.

How much is a hotel/motel room monthly there (I think I would like Tucson)? Have you run into any issues of inconvenience related to this?

I know that people do this in Mexico, too, who live there just a few months.

I'll look forward to future updates.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
... averaging 18 to 21 mph, stopping, means losing the group.
Impressive! My highest average speed is only 17mph for one hour. It drops down to 14.5mph for 2-3 hours rides, and to 13mph for 5 hours ride. And I'm only 48. Hat off to you, vagabond.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
How much is a hotel/motel room monthly there (I think I would like Tucson)? Have you run into any issues of inconvenience related to this?
It depends on when you come and where you're staying. I have a small studio at a student dorm for $600/month. It includes a kitchen with cooking utensils, a nice swimming pool and parking. One inconvenience is the small twin bed they provide. There a few suites and inn type motels here that may have better deals. If I return to Tucson in the late Spring or early Summer, I probably will be able to get a 2 to 3 month sublet for $300 to $400/month. Craig's list is a good place to look for sublets.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have been riding all over Tucson and would have loved to take some outstanding shots of the scenery but when I ride with the clubs, averaging 18 to 21 mph, stopping, means losing the group.
On your folder? Man, you rock
For me to get to such average I need a flat terrain and a recumbent.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
On your folder? Man, you rock
For me to get to such average I need a flat terrain and a recumbent.
Drafting does help. I must admit, I amaze the strong cycle club riders with their top of the line lightweight road bikes versus my heavy steel frame folder with a rear rack+trunk bag filled with stuff, fenders, leather Brook seat, toe clips, a bell, etc. Pushing that bike is hard work.