My retirement plan - any other issues?

roadyrunner

Dryer sheet wannabe
I have a couple of years left to work at my government job. I've sold my house and I'm currently renting, but I don't want to stay around the DC area anymore.

I'll have a fed pension, SS offset for a few years until 62, and a decent thrift savings account to draw on, as well as other cash savings.

My plan is to:
1) sell virtually everything I own the next couple of years.
2) move to FL and make that my home base via short term rentals, housesitting, airbnbs, etc. This is my choice because of weather, notaxstate, proximity to cruises and other flights south.
3) travel to places I want such as south america, europe, asia, maybe a month or more at every stint.

Questions:
1) What is the best way to establish residency, and exactly how much time would I have to spend in the state?
2) What are other issues than I need to consider, and other options I would have given my plan?

https://www.thebalance.com/how-to-become-a-florida-resident-officially-3505215

If you have not spent much time here, spend time in various areas of the state. North Florida and South Florida are very different. The east coast differs from the west coast. Sperling's Best Places (online) and Only in Your State/ Florida may be of interest to you.

I now see this as your first post. If you have not done so already, I suggest you introduce yourself in the "Hi, I am" forum

Good Luck

Last edited:
Make sure you have healthcare that covers you internationally.

Here is what I would do .I would buy a condo or a mobile home establish residency and rent out the property during Dec to May while you travel the world . The short term rentals in Florida during that time command top dollar .

Questions:
1) What is the best way to establish residency, and exactly how much time would I have to spend in the state?
2) What are other issues than I need to consider, and other options I would have given my plan?

Technically you CAN'T be stateless, so assuming you give up all claims to your previous state, it should not matter how much time you spend in your new "home" state.

Back
Top Bottom