Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My Trip to Thailand Part 1 Bangkok
Old 12-03-2005, 09:12 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chan, I think the name of the place is Sukothai... I have not yet been there, but I can recommend Ayutthaya. If you like ancient wats and lots of Buddha 'stuff' this place is memorable. The city is on an inner river island.

I think bike riding there would be something I could handle.. it's flat! My question would be, how would I get that bike into my hotel room?*

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah, maybe I should try out Thailand...

Mexico certainly is not feeling very cheap anymore. And seems to be getting more and more americanized.

But I think next week I'll move on from Guadalajara to southern Mexico (Oaxaca state) so that should be a little less developed. Check out the blog in a few weeks time (or sign up for the mailing list if you'dl like updates).
Old 12-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Doug,

Have you visited Xalapa? Tepic? Zacatecas? These places look interesting and not Yankee-fied yet. Zacatecas is said to have few beggars on the streets, which is a good reflection on the economic health of the area, I would think (and would make my wife especially a lot more comfortable).

So, Guad is getting expensive? This is important information.

Cheers.

Ed
Old 12-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Some things are cheap, some things are more than in the USA or Canada. This is the same as Costa Rica of course; if it's imported, it's more. For me that's not the problem. The problem is that most of the people i meet, who are invariably of the middle and upper classes, seem to have embraced the consumerist, more-is-better culture and so they want to spend like we were back at home. In Costa Rica, I found life still generally revolved around family and friends, here I am getting the impression that this is changing...

You could live here quite cheaply if you wanted to I think.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahhh... Guadalajara. I have some fond memories from time spent there on a few trips (including a full summer attempting to learn some espanol) back in the early 80's. I lived with a middle class family in a nice neighborhood. But I remember walking to school every morning and I'd play a game of counting how many rats I'd see along the way. And then I wrote my final speech for class on the topic of rodents (trying to be funny) and I'll never forget the look on my teacher's face (disapproval).

I did a bit of travel around the area and one of my favorite little towns was Patzcuaro, where I first got the idea that I could maybe retire early in Mexico, because I had this huge hotel room in a restored mansion with a balcony overlooking the town square for around $5 a nite. Too bad it's no longer cheap there... (is it?)

happy travels

Old 12-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Chan, I think the name of the place is Sukothai... I have not yet been there, but I can recommend Ayutthaya. If you like ancient wats and lots of Buddha 'stuff' this place is memorable. The city is on an inner river island.
Hi Billy,

I think Chan is actually referring to Ayutthaya since it's so close to BKK. I actually liked Sukothai better since it was way more atmospheric. I believe Sukothai was also a former capital.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm, maybe the rats have been pushed out by gentrification...i didn't see any! Although there's certainly enough garbage laying around for them.

I'm not in Guanajuato...wow, what a pretty place. Fricking cold though at the moment.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:08 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, it was Ayutthaya.

What impressed me was the tranquility there, the whole area seems so abandoned, one could hardly imagine that it was once the capital city of Thailand.