National Army Museum at Ft Belvoir, VA

RetireBy90

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just wanted to pass along to those in Northern VA or surrounding areas along with any passing through these parts. We visited the National Army Museum yesterday (3 July). The entrance was typical Army, no I couldn't bring my pen knife of 2". Back to the car to deposit it. Then Tobacco free so you can't partake and can't even carry tobacco, so back to car a 2nd deposit.

After the setbacks, we looked around by the entrance waiting on a tour that was offered. It was a 45 minute overview of 6 different galleries that show different points in time from the Revolutionary War and swords and muskets to more recent conflicts to include drones and later aircraft. Our guide was well informed and pointed out a few points for each gallery and noted areas we will return to see at followup visits. Here being retired is grand as we can visit when kids are in school and weekdays when most are at work.

We finished up our visit with a 30 min or so film about the soldier.

Most of the museum seems to be focused on the soldier and the tools of war from his/her point of view. DW and I were very impressed and recommend a visit or more to those able to visit. One of my favorite displays was columns that contain stories of random soldiers. The Medal of Honor winners have a separate gallery to honor them and their stories but there are many many of the average soldiers, both male and female that have served us so well.
Web site for the museum is https://www.thenmusa.org/

There is another one in Carlisle PA we visited on our way to NY... Great FREE history lesson

At this point I feel bound to mention my favorite, the Air Force Museum near Dayton, Ohio.

It's enormous, and I believe it would take a minimum of two days to go through it just for a casual visit. Great historical exhibits, of course, but the big attraction is getting up close and personal with most of the most amazing aircraft ever built.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 4.52.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 4.52.16 PM.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 12
Just wanted to pass along to those in Northern VA or surrounding areas along with any passing through these parts. We visited the National Army Museum yesterday (3 July). The entrance was typical Army, no I couldn't bring my pen knife of 2". Back to the car to deposit it. Then Tobacco free so you can't partake and can't even carry tobacco, so back to car a 2nd deposit.

After the setbacks, we looked around by the entrance waiting on a tour that was offered. It was a 45 minute overview of 6 different galleries that show different points in time from the Revolutionary War and swords and muskets to more recent conflicts to include drones and later aircraft. Our guide was well informed and pointed out a few points for each gallery and noted areas we will return to see at followup visits. Here being retired is grand as we can visit when kids are in school and weekdays when most are at work.

We finished up our visit with a 30 min or so film about the soldier.

Most of the museum seems to be focused on the soldier and the tools of war from his/her point of view. DW and I were very impressed and recommend a visit or more to those able to visit. One of my favorite displays was columns that contain stories of random soldiers. The Medal of Honor winners have a separate gallery to honor them and their stories but there are many many of the average soldiers, both male and female that have served us so well.
Web site for the museum is https://www.thenmusa.org/

I highly recommend it as part of any trip to DC.
We went July 4 2021 right as they reopened. I liked the way they had it laid out and the movie was excellent. I’m proud of my Army son-in-law who has served for 16 years now and proud to be an American.
The National Holocaust museum and The museum of the Bible are also excellent. All are new to us that had not been to DC in many years.

Back
Top Bottom