Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLaker View Post
Wow, some great information and ideas here!

This is not an accessory, but a precaution I learned to take.

I always kept my keys and ID on my person, either in a pocket or else keys and a small laminated/waterproof ID tag on a lanyard around my neck if cycling in clothes without suitable pockets. And for long rides in hot/sweaty or possibly rainy weather keep the ID in a waterproof zip-closure bag.

In case of a crash or accident you could go one way in an ambulance and your bike goes another way in a cop car trunk. Not a pleasant thought, and I never had a problem but better safe than sorry.
Good idea to keep it on your person. Mine's currently in my seat bag. Never thought about it being separated like that.

ID should include emergency contact info, allergy info, your blood type, and any other medical info that'd be useful in an emergency.

My homemade card also includes a disclaimer regarding organ donation: "Organs are donated AS IS. No warranty is expressed or implied."
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bike jerseys have typically 3 pockets across the back that are big enough to hold a wallet and keys. If going on a longer ride you may want for example to buy a cold drink, and/or a snack so some money is helpful. Note that because I lived alone I had to take my keys with me to get back in the house.
One other thing the comments on getting the behind shaped up is to consider carrying a can of baby power with you when going on a longer ride. (It really helped on centuries)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #43

I really like a front bag for my handle bars. This year's accessories are two grocery bag-sized foldable baskets on each side of the rear rack and also a trailer for more grocery bags. I should be able to haul up to 6 bags now!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Bag Balm. Walgreens or Farm supply store. Won't ride without it and won't go into details.....
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #45

IMG_0043.JPG
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Necessary road bike accessories
Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #46

Necessary road bike accessories

Deleted
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Good idea to keep it on your person. Mine's currently in my seat bag. Never thought about it being separated like that.

ID should include emergency contact info, allergy info, your blood type, and any other medical info that'd be useful in an emergency.

My homemade card also includes a disclaimer regarding organ donation: "Organs are donated AS IS. No warranty is expressed or implied."
For ID while riding, I have a wrist band version of Road ID that includes name, blood type, and multiple emergency contacts (nearest to furthest away). Also have a dog tag version with same info that is worn whenever I leave the house in the car.

Have been told by friends in the medical field that blood type is not needed anymore as neutral solutions are given until blood work is done if a transfusion is required.

Med experts - is that last statement true?
Old 04-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I ride 4 times a week almost year around due to the climate where I live. Some of the stuff that is suggested as necessary is still a personal choice but I also suggest having ID on you either RoadID or dogtags. A friend who is a EMT told me that things in your pockets/bags may not be checked in an emergency (they tend to cut off the clothes etc) so only something like that might be noticed.

I always carry a spare tube (finding a puncture could be a problem depending on where it is and where you are), a pump and $20 for emergencies as well as a cell phone. I always ride with SEE ME lights but I don't like mirrors so I don't use them. I use my eyes and ears instead.

Tags
bike accessories