Necessary road bike accessories

I did a 3-week bike tour in Greece years ago with a bicycle touring company. Their bikes were outfitted with handlebar bags.

I bought one for my bike upon my return home. Lightweight and capacious -- good place to store a jacket when not wearing it, carry a lunch, store a book/tablet if you plan to stop somewhere along the way for a bit, and a space for small purchases, etc.

Something like this...
https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10053_10052_563346_-1___204793

-------

Also, a couple of bungees might come in handy at times.

omni

A bag with a tube, a multi tool, tire iron and a couple air cartridges is all you need. Don't get a pump. They are so hard to use, you'll end up hating it. The less weight on the bike, the more fun you'll have.

Just for giggles I grabbed a scale.

Two 12g (aka, the small ones) CO2 cartridges and a minimalist inflator head: 115g.
Lezyne pump w/ mount: 111g.

Early on I stranded myself after running through 2 cartridges on a particularly unlucky, ride. Fortunately another cyclist with a hand pump happened along and I made it home without another flat. I bought a hand pump.

But if you find hand pumps hard to use, use whatever is easier. A pump you can't use is about as useful as an empty cartridge! And as noted earlier a hand pump is a workout to get to 100psi, even with the small volume, road oriented, "high pressure" models. I don't run anything smaller than 32mm anymore, so I don't go that high.

Just for giggles I grabbed a scale.

Two 12g (aka, the small ones) CO2 cartridges and a minimalist inflator head: 115g.
Lezyne pump w/ mount: 111g.

Early on I stranded myself after running through 2 cartridges on a particularly unlucky, ride. Fortunately another cyclist with a hand pump happened along and I made it home without another flat. I bought a hand pump.

But if you find hand pumps hard to use, use whatever is easier. A pump you can't use is about as useful as an empty cartridge! And as noted earlier a hand pump is a workout to get to 100psi, even with the small volume, road oriented, "high pressure" models. I don't run anything smaller than 32mm anymore, so I don't go that high.
I always carry two cartridges and a Presta/Schrader adapter for air hose use. Never needed more than that with well over 60,000 miles of riding in the last 15-20 years. I have had at least 3 frame pumps over the years and never used them. Plus they look fugly on a bike frame. Your results may vary. :)

REI's brand, Novara, is a good and reasonably priced bike short. BTW, you wear bike shorts commando.

Another thing I have discovered is that my old Yakima trunk bike rack sticks out a good 18 inches at least from the back of the car. This makes parking difficult in some areas with narrow streets and limited parking space sizes. Also, it has these rubber straps that one must pull tightly over some rubber buttons. Aging, arthritic hands have a tough time pulling it tight. And it takes up a lot of room in the trunk.

So...

Can anybody recommend a smaller trunk bike rack, one that hold only one or maybe two bikes? And one that does not strain the fingers to secure the bike onto the rack.

Last edited:
Can anybody recommend a smaller trunk bike rack, one that hold only one or maybe two bikes? And one that does not strain the fingers to secure the bike onto the rack.[/QUOTE]

I can't attest to it personally, but a friend I frequently bike with has a Saris Bones bike rack, and it appears to be easy to use.
Perhaps more than you want to do, but I invested in a hitch rack. It was something on the order of $550 all in - 150 for the hitch, 150 to pay my collision guy to install, and some 250 for the Saris Freedom hitch rack itself. For this rack, the bike tires fit in holders and there's a notched strap that is easy to use and no stress on the hands.

Coil locking cable (mounts under front of seat, out of the way)
Rear mount bag (small - medium expandable)
Air cartridge pump (fits in bag with backup tube; beats repairing on the road)
Rear and front lights
Helmet with rear-sight mirror (one of my best buys; just clips on the front visor)
Water bottle housing

That's what I have on the bike. I have a normal pump with gauge, good oil and a repair kit at home for basic stuff. Made a nifty bike rack to hang just below the garage track...

Attachments

• IMG_20170306_205407.jpg
    IMG_20170306_205407.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20170306_205528.jpg
    IMG_20170306_205528.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 22
Another thing I have discovered is that my old Yakima trunk bike rack sticks out a good 18 inches at least from the back of the car. This makes parking difficult in some areas with narrow streets and limited parking space sizes. Also, it has these rubber straps that one must pull tightly over some rubber buttons. Aging, arthritic hands have a tough time pulling it tight. And it takes up a lot of room in the trunk.

So...

Can anybody recommend a smaller trunk bike rack, one that hold only one or maybe two bikes? And one that does not strain the fingers to secure the bike onto the rack.
No personal experience with racks. I've seen many variations, depending on type of vehicle, etc.

Have a look at this site. I see they even offer a solo rack.
https://www.saris.com/catalog/racks#

No personal experience with racks. I've seen many variations, depending on type of vehicle, etc.

Have a look at this site. I see they even offer a solo rack.
https://www.saris.com/catalog/racks#

I am a big Saris fan. They serve on bicycle boards and help raise money for the industry. I have had two racks and they are well made. That would be the first place I would look.

As part of my volunteer efforts, I try to make bicycling better in my community. I developed an advocacy web page for our local bike club. If you are not familiar with many of the approaches to make bicycling safer and more fun, you may want to review this link. Perhaps you want to join the National Bike Challenge (a fun program you can do with friends or by yourself) or participate in Bike Month activities presented by local organizations, typically. Does your community have a Ride of Silence which remembers cyclists who have been in accidents or killed; an important way to build awareness. The League of American Bicyclists certify towns as being Bicycle Friendly Communities as well as businesses. Is your town working on a BFC recognition. Are you familiar with your local bike advocacy efforts. And lots more. Advocacy - Hat City Cyclists

Thanks for the advice.

What's a good brand of padded riding clothing? Should I get actual riding shorts, or can I get padded underwear to wear with my ordinary clothing?

I like Pearl Izumi or Voler for bike shorts when riding the road bike and padded underwear from Dick's when riding the commuter more than 10 miles but less than 30 miles.

You may have to try different bike shorts as it seems to be a personal choice. One brand I hated my friend swears by, but he doesn't care for the fit of the Voler.

I like Pearl Izumi or Voler for bike shorts when riding the road bike and padded underwear from Dick's when riding the commuter more than 10 miles but less than 30 miles.

You may have to try different bike shorts as it seems to be a personal choice. One brand I hated my friend swears by, but he doesn't care for the fit of the Voler.

There are also different models with each brand varying from junk to excellent. So try the different price points too within a brand.

Here's what I have: two pair of bike shorts and a variety of tops. Several pair of well padded bike gloves. Several water bottles and a water bottle holder on bike. Under seat caddy (straps on with velcro) to hold coiled bike lock, multi-purpose tool, spare tire, rag. Pump, helmet, fanny pack, small coin purse that holds ID, credit card, money, extra house key and lock key.
Just got the bike out today for the season! I have a Raleigh road bike that is at least 20 years old and still going strong.

I love it, I hope to get my bike out for the first time this year tomorrow!

Wow, great lists but what you need depends on where/how far you'll be riding. Some of the above lists might be overkill, or might not. I wouldn't skimp on anything, especially safety related items. You don't have to buy the best, but don't buy the cheapest.

Every rider needs
  • Helmet with rear view mirror (unless you prefer bar end models, I don't)
  • Water bottle(s) and cage(s)
  • Floor pump
  • Small saddle pack for keys, phone, etc.
Not essential but I can't imagine not having

• Bike computer for speed, distance, etc.
If you're going to ride longer distances, mostly out and back from home

• Multi-tool
  • Hand pump
  • Spare tubes
  • Tire levers
  • Saddle pack that fits the above plus incidentals
  • GPS (smartphone if you get reception everywhere you'll be riding)?
Optional, left at home maybe

• Glueless patches
  • Vulcanizing patches
  • Chain lube
If you're going to leave the bike somewhere unattended

• A good lock
If you're going to ride at night

• Front and rear lights
I have several brands of bike shorts, my Pearl Izumi's are the best I've ever had.

Last edited:
Wow, some great information and ideas here!

This is not an accessory, but a precaution I learned to take.

I always kept my keys and ID on my person, either in a pocket or else keys and a small laminated/waterproof ID tag on a lanyard around my neck if cycling in clothes without suitable pockets. And for long rides in hot/sweaty or possibly rainy weather keep the ID in a waterproof zip-closure bag.

In case of a crash or accident you could go one way in an ambulance and your bike goes another way in a cop car trunk. Not a pleasant thought, and I never had a problem but better safe than sorry.

Wow, some great information and ideas here!

This is not an accessory, but a precaution I learned to take.

I always kept my keys and ID on my person, either in a pocket or else keys and a small laminated/waterproof ID tag on a lanyard around my neck if cycling in clothes without suitable pockets. And for long rides in hot/sweaty or possibly rainy weather keep the ID in a waterproof zip-closure bag.

In case of a crash or accident you could go one way in an ambulance and your bike goes another way in a cop car trunk. Not a pleasant thought, and I never had a problem but better safe than sorry.

Good idea to keep it on your person. Mine's currently in my seat bag. Never thought about it being separated like that.

ID should include emergency contact info, allergy info, your blood type, and any other medical info that'd be useful in an emergency.

My homemade card also includes a disclaimer regarding organ donation: "Organs are donated AS IS. No warranty is expressed or implied."

Bike jerseys have typically 3 pockets across the back that are big enough to hold a wallet and keys. If going on a longer ride you may want for example to buy a cold drink, and/or a snack so some money is helpful. Note that because I lived alone I had to take my keys with me to get back in the house.
One other thing the comments on getting the behind shaped up is to consider carrying a can of baby power with you when going on a longer ride. (It really helped on centuries)

I really like a front bag for my handle bars. This year's accessories are two grocery bag-sized foldable baskets on each side of the rear rack and also a trailer for more grocery bags. I should be able to haul up to 6 bags now!

Good idea to keep it on your person. Mine's currently in my seat bag. Never thought about it being separated like that.

ID should include emergency contact info, allergy info, your blood type, and any other medical info that'd be useful in an emergency.

My homemade card also includes a disclaimer regarding organ donation: "Organs are donated AS IS. No warranty is expressed or implied."

For ID while riding, I have a wrist band version of Road ID that includes name, blood type, and multiple emergency contacts (nearest to furthest away). Also have a dog tag version with same info that is worn whenever I leave the house in the car.

Have been told by friends in the medical field that blood type is not needed anymore as neutral solutions are given until blood work is done if a transfusion is required.

Med experts - is that last statement true?

I ride 4 times a week almost year around due to the climate where I live. Some of the stuff that is suggested as necessary is still a personal choice but I also suggest having ID on you either RoadID or dogtags. A friend who is a EMT told me that things in your pockets/bags may not be checked in an emergency (they tend to cut off the clothes etc) so only something like that might be noticed.

I always carry a spare tube (finding a puncture could be a problem depending on where it is and where you are), a pump and $20 for emergencies as well as a cell phone. I always ride with SEE ME lights but I don't like mirrors so I don't use them. I use my eyes and ears instead.

Back
Top Bottom