Need Advice re: Nationwide Moving Co, Storage & Container.

Cheesehead

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello,

We're planning to move from the Midwest to Portland but first we wanted to go there, rent, figure out where to live and then send for our possessions. I think we will need to keep it in storage in the Midwest until we're ready to have it sent to OR. Does anyone have any experience at this? Do they pack your things in a container so it doesn't have to be handle more times loading and unloading?

We will probably narrow the move down to our most important furniture pieces and I will take smaller, more fragile items out with me in a cube truck. So please give me any advice based on your experience.

Thank you

Mu DS just moved using a U-Haul U-Box. They delivered the box, he packed it, they picked it up, transported it to his new city, stored it until he was ready, delivered it to the new place, DS unpacked it, and they picked up the empty container. Don't know if they have larger sizes or packing service, but I liked the convenience of that type of arrangement.

It's been almost 20 years since I've moved, so I am not up-to-date on what is available now.

However, I recommend you look at climate controlled storage (depending on the items that will be stored of course).

Last edited:
I'll be interested in hearing more from anyone who has made a move.
I looked at UPACK... a container moving service. Input basic info for price estimate.
The price for 2 containers, 7'x7'x8'... max 2500lb/container to move about 1300 miles was $1400... Additional for assistance packing or unpacking, and $250/mo. for storage.
More Q and A's on website... insurance, legal etc.

We just moved 3000 miles this past summer using United Van Lines. I must say everything went smooth as silk. I was very happy with the service and cost. I will highly recommend you shop around between Mayflower, United and Allied. They are owned by the same parent company, but you will get very different quotes with the same level of service.

Good luck with your move.

I had a terrible experience last year with Starving Students. Their service was awful, and they refused to pay for all of the damage they caused, in spite of the fact that I paid extra for insurance directly through them. In the end I ended up getting a few hundred dollars but they damaged more than $5,000 worth of furniture. And they were just plain arrogant about how little they cared that it even happened.

I don't have first hand experience -- but have heard many third-hand horror stories.

Just make sure you pick a reputable firm as opposed to a less known name or a no-name company to save some money. Because they operate interstate I have heard that they slip through the cracks as far as effective regulations. Also they do this as a business and we employ them once in a lifetime, with no repeat business, usually with no direct information from anyone we personally know about the exact city-pair move. So it is ripe for mischiefs and gotchas such as storage fee, holding fee, unloading fee, etc. etc.

Keep your BS and scam antennae up and good luck.

My last move was organized with the help of these guys

Relocation Services Group | CARP Canada

and went very well. They negotiated a discount and kept an eye on the quality control. I used my own real estate agent. I was eligible due to my membership of CARP (you have to be at least 50 to join) and I'm sure AARP would have a similar benefit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom