NET WORTH FOR ONE'S AGE

It is required in my school district along with Economics.  Having taught both for the last 16 years, I think it is about as effective as teaching abstinence in health class to 14 yr olds.  :-/
Sometimes it's not WHAT is being taught, but HOW it's being taught. As a student I hated courses that taught theory without showing any practical application.

I've taken it upon myself to teach my child about personal finances. I've opened an account for him and when then interest gets posted we go through the math to figure out how it's calculated. Then we calculate the future value of his deposits, etc. I'm sure if I just talked to him about formulas I would lose him after the first 30 seconds, but making it apply to real life makes a world of difference.

It is required in my school district along with Economics.  Having taught both for the last 16 years, I think it is about as effective as teaching abstinence in health class to 14 yr olds.
What an apt analogy.  Both require a certain amount of screwing around before their adherents become proficient, experienced, and (somewhat) safe... and some practitioners never achieve those goals!

I don't know about calgary_girl, but in my case I also started saving in earnest for retirement at age 22, right after graduating for college.
This is my action plan as well - definitely the way to go. Can't say I learned much about investing from my parents but they did encourage my early interest in business and finance. If you really want to see my NW you can check out the blog.

That elective course in high school should be mandatory for everyone, don't you think?

Also, what is your goal to get out of the rat race?

I agree.

We're not sure yet what our exact dollar figure is to get out of the rat race. I would definitely love to travel and I know that can be quite expensive. Ideally, I would like to spend the winters in the U.S. in a warm climate (Phoenix is a fairly short flight for us from here...see my thread on I Wanna Be A Snowbird) and spend the rest of the year here.

I think we could retire on $3K-$4K/month net if we paired down our spending and didn't live extravagently. Ideally though, I think we would need $5K-$6K/month net. Of course, I'm talking in today's dollars. Twenty years from now, we would need almost $10K/month.

I have posted most of this before, but will attempt
to cleverly alter my verbage so as to disguise
obvious repetition :)

Although I had two (2) business mentors, I had no
investment/ER mentors. My parents were very thrifty
but knew (know) little or nothing about finances/
investing. So, left to my own devices former spouse
and I just earned and spent for 30 years (actually
I did most of the earning and she did most of the
spending) :). So, I am almost entirely self-taught
regarding these issues. Maybe for the best?

Re. snowbirding, now that I've got that arrangement whipped into shape, I am looking at the day (6 years out)
when we will be living on two (2) SS checks plus my
mostly fixed income investments. In today's $, the
maximum gross income I can see is about 34K
per year. Compared to what we are living on today
this looks like plenty. Of course, inflation is the bent rail on the ER track, as has been so often pointed out.

JG

Actually, he went from $60K to $910K in NINE (9) years. Even more amazing! How'd you guys do it?

And C-Girl....how'd you guys reach your net worth so quickly? Any tips you can pass on?
There are two ways you can do it:
A) Become a Suit and make >200K per year. Earn so much money you can't help but accumulate a lot. You could play the startup lottery and achieve similar results.
We didn't have the smarts or desire for that so plan B is:
B) Keep your expenses flat while you grow your income and save the balance
- Start living on a fixed amount, say 30K per year
- Save as much as you can in year 1, say 10K per year
- Work harder and get more done than any of your coworkers at a company that is profitable.
- Each year your income goes up save all the extra income. Keep your expenses as flat as possible. Lots of people on this board can help you with that :)

I suspect many if not most on this board took something similar to road B.

Luck of course plays a role too - we caught the latter 1/2 of the 90s bull market and were only silly enough to leave 75% of our money on the table during the bubble. :-[ We don't have children but we do have aging parents who will soon be financially dependent. So, the moral of the story is save as aggressively as you can before you have children or aging parents to support.

The secret for my strong start has been two-fold:

1) Talk to your boss about having your company pay for as many expenses as possible (cell phone, car/car allowance, car maintenance, gas, car insurance, health insurance, etc.). While it's not the easiest thing to do at large corporations, I work for a small family-run business (and when your family is the one that owns it, it's far easier ;) ). But even at places where nepotism is non-existant, it is still possible to have your employer work out a deal better for both parties.

As long as you point out that every dollar of expenses that your employer pays not only saves the employee money (Federal/State/Local income tax plus 9.1% of Medicare/SS taxes), but also saves the employer the 9.1% of Medicare/SS taxes that they would owe, it's a win-win situation. Plus it helps employee morale. :)

2) I know many people have a 'problem' with it, but if your parents are semi-retired, have two homes and spend a good deal of time away, it's not too bothersome to stay at home for a few years out of college. It saves a bunch in utilities, rent/mortgage, and other costs, all for the inconvenience of having to be around them for 1-2 hours a day for 3-4 months a year. Sure, it may not be possible if your job isn't in the same city...but if you are the unlucky son that has to pick them up/take them to the airport each time they fly, has to pick up their mail every day, check the pool, look after their place, etc., it's far easier if you're living there at the same time.

While it may not sound like the above two would have a big impact, and you can make the argument that the longer you wait to buy a house, the more home values could rise and cost you more in the long-run, it provides a greater positive cash flow in the early years of your life, when every dollar saved has a much greater compounding effect. That, combined with a sensible frugal lifestyle (brown-bag lunches, not dining out too often to eat higher quality/healthier food at home) all add up to make the most of early compounding.

My parents were fairly frugal earlier, but their early 60s in semi-retirement have seen them loosen up quite a bit. They never really talked about money around my siblings and I. My frugality/awareness of money was purely one of those genetic things (out of 4 children, I was the only one that always thought about long-term savings, carrying cost of consumer debt, etc.), rather than an orchestrated effort by my parents to teach the benefits of sensible money management to their kids. Out of my 3 siblings, one sister turned out to be fairly sensible after she got married; the other sister is a financial disaster, and the brother is a cross between the two (likes to live it up with only very moderate savings, without thinking about the future).

As for my results? Well, they are as follows:
Net Liquid Assets (no home equity at the moment, excludes personal effects), less all estimated income taxes for retirement plans/savings bonds: $418k

"Disclaimer" (approximately 80k inheiritance in 2001, and parents paid for college...)

I invest very little in mutual funds (I opt for a few closed-end funds), as I have waaaay too much fun tinkering around with my portfolio. I might wakeup and see the light someday...However, I am the very conservative type that prefers less volatility/more certainty, with the following investment breakdowns:
23% Muni Closed-end funds
17% Bond funds/I-Bonds/CDs/Treasuries (Oh, why didn't I buy more of the 2000 10-year 4 1/4% inflation-indexed T-bond? :-[ )
2.5% REITS
23% Preferred Stock
6.5% Various individual junk bonds
18% common stock with some covered calls/puts
4% 529 plan
6% cash awaiting redeployment in the next 2 weeks

All-told, my entire net worth has an average fixed yield of 6.32% pre-tax / 4.99% after-tax, plus any capital gains growth I can squeeze out of my 18% common stock/options positions.

As long as you point out that every dollar of expenses that your employer pays not only saves the employee money (Federal/State/Local income tax plus 9.1% of Medicare/SS taxes), but also saves the employer the 9.1% of Medicare/SS taxes that they would owe, it's a win-win situation.
I thought the Medicare/SS tax was 7.65% for each the employee and the employer. Where do you get each at 9.1%?

I thought the Medicare/SS tax was 7.65% for each the employee and the employer. Where do you get each at 9.1%?

You get 9.1% when you start thinking too early about numbers on a Saturday morning...combined with a Sprite spiked with pineapple rum...and the result is double-counting the 1.45% Medicare tax to arive at the erroneous 9.1% figure. :)

Yes, it should be 7.65% total, as retire@40 correctly points out. Thanks for the note. :)

mikey I would rather have a $1.5 Million house in Pacific Palisades and $1million in invested assets said:
No one is moving to Jackson these days. Today's paper informed us that there were a record number of homicides there in 04.
No one, that is, except drug dealers and pimps.
Maybe somewhere else in MS where the enjoyment of life is much greater/real estate and taxes are cheaper.

This is only one person's opinion, but....

Years ago I was stationed at Columbus AFB, just outside Columbus, MS. I grew up in East Texas, which I had been led to believe was "just like the rest of the South" and was similar in both appearance and mindset to everthing between my hometown and the Atlantic coast of Georgia. Not true.

After living there for just over a year, I clearly understood the parting remarks of my commanding officer as I left. "When you get past the Mississippi state line, be sure to set your clock ahead....100 years." ;)

To each his own, but not for me.

REW

Gary,

The end of 2004 saw us come in at about the equivalent of about US$ 1.45 million, possible of that a little with the recent market dip.

The wife and I are 36 now, with a 1 year old daughter.

That net asset sum constitutes only those real assets in property, securities and other investments such as physical gold (but not personal jewellery) and a few "collectibles" (which are worth less than 20k or so overall.)

For all personal asset calculations, I consider an asset to be "worth" to me only the sum that will sit in cash in my bank after it is sold. Therefore, property is "worth" the sum of current sale price LESS all transaction costs, stocks are worth quoted prices less brokerage fees on the sale etc.

As far as what counts towards net wealth and what doesn't, use the "kidney test" - i.e. I have a kidney which is worth 10k to someone who needs it, but is it truly sellable? If you could and would sell it, then it is an asset, otherwise it isn't.

Just my view.

Simon888

This is only one person's opinion, but....

Years ago I was stationed at Columbus AFB, just outside Columbus, MS.  I grew up in East Texas, which I had been led to believe was "just like the rest of the South" and was similar in both appearance and mindset to everthing between my hometown and the Atlantic coast of Georgia.  Not true.

After living there for just over a year, I clearly understood the parting remarks of my commanding officer as I left.  "When you get past the Mississippi state line, be sure to set your clock ahead....100 years."  ;)

To each his own, but not for me.

REW

If you grew up in East TX, then I'm sure you remember the incident in Jasper, where a black man was dragged behing a pickup truck until dead.

I have lived and worked all across the South, from TX to VA. There have been problems in race relations
all over the country, not just in the South. Some of the most racist people I have known were from Detroit and Chicago.

Mississippi is not my native state. I have seen a lot of progress in race relations during the past 50 years and there remains a long way to go, even now.

I don't mess with TX and don't you mess with MS.

http://www.mississippi.org/retire/

What do you MS guys think about the recommendations the above site gives?

I don't live in one of the reommended retirement cities, but live within an hour of several. There are only three of those that I have not visited. If you want some culture and college sports, try Oxford, Starkville, or Hattiesburg. You see that Jackson is not listed, for a number of reasons that I won't go into here. It should be easy to rent a place for a few months and see what it's like. I moved here from another southern state many years ago and cannot see myself leaving.

I wish you people would quit talking about Ms - too close to home in La. After this Dammed Yankee(me) - we don't need too many more - the place will get too crowded.

I remember in the 70's when Slidell, La and someplace in Arizona (Prescot?) went back and forth for no. one in the nation for new housing starts.

Move to Nevada - I have relatives outside Reno - nice place.

http://www.mississippi.org/retire/

What do you MS guys think about the recommendations the above site gives?

I have lived in Meridian, MS most of my life and plan to retire here. For a city of 40k people, you can't beat the health care. Three hospitals that serves east MS and west AL. But if I were considering relocating to MS I would consider Hattiesburg. The city is slightly larger than here and has alot more going on.  Several golf courses, Univ of Southern MS located there and very nice subdivisions at affordable prices. 2 hours from New Orleans and about 2.5 hours to Destin, FL. Good location to retire. Thats my pr statement for the day! 8)

...There have been problems in race relations all over the country, not just in the South.
Polloloco, my post made absolutely no reference to race relations in MS. I'm not sure what triggered your response.

My point was simply that I found life in MS to be significantly behind the times and not necessarily in a positive way. It is not an area that I would choose as a retirement destination. Admittedly, my experience is dated by several years, but things don't change very rapidly in the Deep South.

Not messing with MS, just stating my opinion. ;)
REW

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom