Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #21
gone traveling

If we built a custom house $350+/sqft would probably be our price.
We subscribe to and read:
Fine Homebuilding
Dwell
Architectural Digest
Kitchen & Bath Design News
Residential Design
Qualified Remodeler
Modern in Denver
Wall Street Journal

You are going to install windows that are:
Euro style tilt turn
Triple pane
Self cleaning glass ?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

For a new custom home with premium finishes here on the Colorado front range, you can easily spend $350 to $450 per square foot, excluding land. There is a complete dislocation between the resale market and new construction costs at present. Unfortunately, I’m not sure that new construction costs are going to moderate any time soon, particularly in desirable markets.
Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:14 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

We have been living in a camper and rebuilding an abandoned house as we can...
with buying the place and material bought so far.... were at about $7 a square foot...
Hoping to stay under $50 by the time were done
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:18 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are also in SE Michigan. DW and I also once considered building our retirement home new, although in Ohio. Even bought some land. We canned that about 8 years ago and sold the land as the cost would have been ~$750,000. Instead, we have spent around $150,000 on several projects to make the house we have more perfect for us.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:40 AM   #25

Many areas in Michigan are going nuts. DS is having a house built outside Grand Rapids and new starts are already about 10% higher$ in just the last few months. Lake house are fetching crazy prices for teardown cottages and replacement 4000 sq ft houses on 50' lots. I'm glad I'm neither a buyer or a seller. Simply happy with what I have.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:26 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Custom home builds have always been more expensive than buying new construction or existing homes.

But now? Covid has created demand: People are realizing their home needs to be their everything. People are upgrading, adding on, moving to bigger ones.

Add to that the supply chain issues, delays with sub-contractor and permits, all builds will take longer which means more overhead - and the cost of raw materials is going up.

Best bet is to find a resale that meets the neighborhood and footprint requirements, the bones, the things that can't change. Then budget upgrades and changes.
I went to Lowes yesterday looking for a refrigerator . I bet they were out of more than half of the display models on the floor. I found the model I wanted but demand must be high for home products as delivery is almost 2 weeks out. No doubt Covid has had an impact.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

That psf cost seems high to me. We are under construction on a custom home in a gated golf course community in Kentucky for about $170 psf on 4,100 sf of enclosed space (5 bedrooms, 4.5 baths) and 1,200 of covered porches.
RoyDornoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #28

Y'all need to come down to Unionville, NC! My FIL's place is on the market and we'll be lucky to get $138/ft2. That's my guess because that's what a neighbors house just went for. FIL's kids (owners) fell for the old real estate agent tactic of suggesting a higher price than was possible in order to secure the listing. But I digress. There is some new construction they're competing with, and I'm not sure how that works. Is there a premium for new construction?
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
New housing usually has a premium, as it' "new" and not second hand...
When we were looking for a house, people suggested buy new, as nobody wants an old house.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We *were* going to custom build when we relocated to flyover country, but before the first blueprint was even printed, we had run up on our budget. We knew it would be expensive to build, but some of the numbers were just out to lunch. In the end, we wound up buying a house that seemed to meet our needs (100%) and most of our wants (70%) but after a couple of years, what we thought were wants would have been unnecessary expenses for not great reasons and ultimately, I think we are happier where we are instead of where we were going to build.

Not only that, but I have met a whole lotta people who have custom built but were never truly happy since "perfection" doesn't exist in a residential build. Not to say that OP wouldn't be happy...but I think a large % of folks like the idea of custom building but are disappointed with the end result. Especially if it involves a big bill at the end!
Old 08-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

We will most likely be moving in the next 5 years. I'll be trying to keep costs down by finding a place under 2,000 sf.

We have looked at a few places Arizona. We made an offer on an existing house at $345/ sf. We also met with a builder who had several different plans and base prices. The builder's agent told us to budget in 30% of the base price for options. I thought that 30% for add ons sounded ridiculous. A corner multi sliding patio door costs $69k.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, everyone. Appreciate all the perspective and first hand experiences of what you are all seeing..

The motivating factor for us is privacy. We don't have any, having built very early in this phase of our current sub without houses (at the time) on either lot next to us. BIG MISTAKE. Both lots got bought up by builders for their personal homes. One of them built a 5,500+ (!!) sq ft house that takes up literally every square inch of buildable space on his lot. (We're a couple thousand sq ft smaller..) And here's the best part - it extends pretty much into my backyard since the street curves. So, I look out my great room window - and look at the side of his house. Great...we put in some huge trees to try to hide everything. Mistake #2 - some of them are Bradford Pears, and now that they're 20+ years old, they're super susceptible to wind and rain, and we already lost part of one. The others are a kind of evergreen that are known (not that we knew it at the time) to not be "permanent" trees and that we can now see through as they are disease prone, deer prone and are turning into more a big structure of sticks than a full, healthy evergreen. But the pears are 30+ feet tall, the evergreens 40+ feet tall and there's no replacing them for the screening we DO have left at any price. You just can't BUY trees that big - I've checked..best I can get [and even this is 'hard'] are ~20 foot evergreens, which won't hide his house. So, if we were to "fix" (replace) them with new - I'd be looking at Mr 5,500+ sq ft all day long for the next 10 years. Not an option..

The new property is 3.5 wooded acres, at the end of a court. We'd finally have privacy. But - we made a "why vs. why not" (go ahead with it) list and came up with *27* "why nots". (No nearby hospitals..limited recreation..increased taxes..site condo with extremely restrictive master deed and bylaws..water quality [iron & arsenic]..high HOA / Condo fees..the list goes on..and on).

The "why" list has a grand total of 7 things on it (vs 27 why not). But the privacy issue is worth roughly 50 why nots. So there's that.

It's tough being in ER and having no W-2 paychecks to fund all this. Had I been smarter (or able to not have to bail from the J*B due to unmanageable stress that was likely to kill me had I stayed), I would have built the retirement house BEFORE pulling the ER trigger.

Live and learn, but it's really surprising to see what new construction costs nowadays. We thought things were crazy when we built this house (albeit, in a tract sub) at ~$167/sq ft INCLUDING land 20 or so years ago..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I should put this on pet peeves, but you bring up a good point about landscaping. Builders do some bad things in the initial landscaping.

Our neighborhood is 40, and we're finally burning through most of the original landscaping. The Bradford pears are long gone, taken out by wind and ice 20 years ago. The leyland cypress are gone in the last 10 years or so, just as you describe. Disease ridden sticks.

Now the large trees are going, which is a shame. Trees planted too close to houses or driveways. Just stupid placement. We have tree companies in the neighborhood every day. This didn't have to happen if the right species were planted in the right places.

But, fast growing junk sells neighborhoods and is usually affordable. Always comes down to $$.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #34

$600-$800/sf in Maui, according to my realtor friend there. Add to that, the cost of land, a pool, landscaping, design, grading, etc., and we'd be over $1.5M for a 1,800-sf house...so we decided to buy an exiting home with a pool, with a $392/sf price. Week 3 of escrow!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Maybe I should put this on pet peeves, but you bring up a good point about landscaping. Builders do some bad things in the initial landscaping.
That they do, but I can't blame this on the builders as we had to figure out a way to try to screen Mr. 5,500 sq ft and the house on the other side - which, while not as far back as 5,500 is also in "back" of us due to street curves. So, WE decided what to plant - and just made bad/uniformed decisions.

Ultimately, regardless of who's fault (ours) it may be..we have no privacy. Getting some requires tearing down the Bradfords and Colorado Spruce (now I remember) that are 30 - 40 ft tall and replacing them with the biggest trees money can buy - and best I can find is MAYBE 20 ft. So, achieving even the level of privacy we have today will be...impossible..with the current lot.

All of a sudden, $250/sq ft to get out of this mess doesn't look so bad
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #36

It sure does seem to be a head scratcher that the projected 2020 inflation rate is something like 0.61% when sheathing has gone from $12 to $18 and a 2x6 8 footer has gone from $4.50 to $7.

And these figures for price per square foot..yikes.

Inflation is really 0.61%?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:35 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
It sure does seem to be a head scratcher that the projected 2020 inflation rate is something like 0.61% when sheathing has gone from $12 to $18 and a 2x6 8 footer has gone from $4.50 to $7.

And these figures for price per square foot..yikes.

Inflation is really 0.61%?
Not in the housing industry. Sales or construction.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:59 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Funny thing with a custom house, once a person goes to sell it. It's not a custom house to the buyer, and of course could be outdated by the years of ownership.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:22 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

New custom will always be more, new often is more than even recent. Look at prefabs as they can be a good value

Adequate Balanced portfolio. 40% equity, 20% LTrm income/bonds, 40% income producing real estate. ER is the Greatest! Actually DW is the greatest! And loving life as never before...
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

I feel pretty lucky after reading this. We built a retirement home in Grande Dunes, (Myrtle Beach SC) next to a Del Webb clubhouse, plus full benefits to Ocean Club. (2 clubhouses) Moved in May 28th, 2020.

A high end home for only $187.50 per sq ft - 3200 sq ft conditioned at $600k in a resort like community. And a waterfront property lot (ICW) for $307k in a gated community!

Wow! I feel blessed. My wife got her dream house. Restaurants and entertainment are just minutes away.
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote