Join Early Retirement Today

New Golf Player at Age 62
Old 09-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

As I am getting more into retirement activities, golf seems to be a possibility. Looking for a sport that can do for a number of years, like the idea of doing lots of walking, getting sunshine, good socialization.

So as a beginner I am hoping there are golf clubs that help a newbie. Clubs that are forgiven or have a large sweet spot, like my racquetball racket.

Appreciate any advise on what are good beginner golf clubs and where best to get them (discount stores, online, Craigslist).

Thank you
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
As I am getting more into retirement activities, golf seems to be a possibility. Looking for a sport that can do for a number of years, like the idea of doing lots of walking, getting sunshine, good socialization.

So as a beginner I am hoping there are golf clubs that help a newbie. Clubs that are forgiven or have a large sweet spot, like my racquetball racket.

Appreciate any advise on what are good beginner golf clubs and where best to get them (discount stores, online, Craigslist).

Thank you
Golf is a good choice for having a great time. Try not to take it too seriously to maintain a good fun group. I would buy the first set used through either craigslist, yard sales, or local ads in the paper. Find a reasonable instructor to give you the basics of the golf swing, and then go hack away. Have a great time and your scores will improve with time.

Best to you,

VW
Old 09-01-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since you play racquetball, you should look into playing Pickleball. It is a great social scene, great exercise and can be competitive if so desired.
Anyone with a racquet sport background, can pick up playing the sport within a week or so.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I would go to a golf store where you can try different clubs to see what works best for you. However, over my years of playing it really comes down to technique and consistency more than clubs or balls. If you can learn to keep a calm smooth swing and keep from having the urge to muscle the shot you will have a better game. If you are on a budget then look through Craigslist or go to some yard sales and get yourself a starter set. If/when you get better then you can sell that set and upgrade. Best!
Audie Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Golf is a good choice for having a great time. Try not to take it too seriously to maintain a good fun group. I would buy the first set used through either craigslist, yard sales, or local ads in the paper. Find a reasonable instructor to give you the basics of the golf swing, and then go hack away. Have a great time and your scores will improve with time.
+1, good suggestions IMO. Golf is easy to play, impossible to master, so don’t take yourself too seriously. Even when I’m not playing well, I enjoy just being outdoors and the camaraderie.

You don’t want to spend a lot on your first set of clubs, and you’ll get a lot more for your money buying second hand. You’re looking for game improvement, super game improvement clubs - but none are considerably more forgiving than others.

The golf swing isn’t entirely intuitive so take some lessons. You’ll be much more pleased with your progress if you start with the fundamentals.

Learn to laugh off bad shots, it’s easier, and they happen to everyone, just less often for professionals. And the good shots will bring you back time and time again.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

First and foremost, see if you can find a good 2 or 3 day golf school and use that to start.... you'll not develop bad habits to be fixed and will learn the basics of grip, stance, alignment, swing, etc.

Then shop for a set of super game improvement clubs for your first few years.... or perhaps more... I'm still using mine after 7 years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
First and foremost, see if you can find a good 2 or 3 day golf school and use that to start.... you'll not develop bad habits to be fixed and will learn the basics of grip, stance, alignment, swing, etc.

Then shop for a set of super game improvement clubs for you first few years.... or perhaps more... I'm still using mine after 7 years.
^^This^^

Instruction and good clubs. Clubs don’t need to be great, but get good equipment. Yes, there are better clubs for beginners. After playing for many years, I’m still using them . Your instructor could recommend a set.

Plan on several sessions of training in the first few months to a year to develop a good swing.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

As far as golf clubs go, you need someone who can recommend what length clubs to buy. For example if you're short, you sure don't need to be buying extra length clubs from a garage sale. They need to be ballpark fit for you. Also take a few lessons from a pro. If you could borrow an old set from someone to take the first lesson, the pro can recommend a good first set for you. After lessons and purchasing your first set, practice at a driving range before heading to the golf course. You don't have to be good to enjoy golf, but you don't want to get frustrated right out of the gate when you play your first few rounds.

Hope you enjoy the game.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:24 AM   #9

Love the game and have played it for the better part of fifty years. My first suggestions would be to go get some lessons and even pony up for a fitting, both are money well spent.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Get forgiving clubs with shafts that match up with your swing speed. I bought a used set of Ping G20s and they are really forgiving due to the large soles of the clubs. Go to Dicks and hit a bunch of different ones and if the ones you like are on the expensive side, look for them used on sites like ebay, rockbottom golf and 2nd swing golf. A lot of time should be spent at the driving range also before you hit the links to give you confidence. Don't hit off the mats because it is not realistic of hitting off fairways and rough.
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I’ll take the opposing view and say fitting isn’t necessary for a beginner unless maybe you’re under 5’4” or over 6’4”. Standard lengths should be fine to start, that’s worth knowing.

Shaft length fitting isn’t necessarily a function of height, it’s a function of wrist to floor measurement which doesn’t always follow height, long or short arms, long torso, etc. Even so, I don’t see a need to fit a beginner unless he’s under 5’7” or over 6’1” - that put’s a player within a 1/2” of ideal if their wrist to floor measurement is anywhere near typical. Remember most players routinely play with 43”+ drivers, 34” wedges and everything in between - every player accommodates about a 9” range of club lengths all the time.

Fitting is a good idea once you’ve decided to make golf a regular pastime, but finding a worthwhile fitter is difficult even for an experienced player. Lots of people out there advertise fitting, who don’t know much more than you can easily learn online yourself. Not sure how a beginner would pick a qualified fitter.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Fitted clubs for a beginner sounds like a real "blow that dough" thing, IMO.

Used clubs are a good idea as many people move up to a better set or give up the game, but beware of worn grips. Of course you can replace them, but you'll probably lose the price advantage.

A nice upgrade that's worth it to me would be graphite shafts over steel. They are lighter and easier to swing.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

You're thinking of taking up golf at 62? Don't you want a happy retirement?
jldavid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
Looking for a sport that can do for a number of years, like the idea of doing lots of walking, getting sunshine, good socialization.

You'll do fine and have fun at golf if you keep the above your priority. All the major manufacturers make excellent clubs, pick up a good used set of game improvement irons. To get a feel for what's available do a google search of 'golf digest club reviews', they rate clubs and break down the reviews by category (players, game improvement, etc.), you can fine previous years reviews. You should be able to fine a good 2-3 year old set fairly easily and reasonably priced. Check with any friends that play golf, most have an extra set sitting around that they would be happy to let you try out. I shipped my brother an old quality set of my clubs when he was considering taking the game up, I probably still have two extra sets of clubs sitting around the house.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:23 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just started playing golf this year at age 62, I got the callaway strata clubs that are designed for beginners you get a full set of clubs with head cover and bag for about 350 on Amazon. I’ve played 2 or 3 times a week with them since January and they are still in great shape.
Zig56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #16

Seriously practice the short game!!!!!! Short 50 yd and in chip shots and putting. You will become very frustrated if you get on in two and FOUR putt�� that’s what Harvey Penick suggested... have fun, find a FUN group, play ready golf. DONT NOT BE AFRAID TO PLAY FORWARD TEES!!!!!!!
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
Seriously practice the short game!!!!!! Short 50 yd and in chip shots and putting.
Good advice. Putting is what separates the men from the boys and it doesn't cost a lot to buy a good putter than feels comfortable to you and many courses have practice greens that you can play around on. Other than that, getting into a golf school or seeing a local pro for private lessons will be the best investment you can make and that can even become an ongoing thing as you progress. Off the shelf game improvement irons can be had pretty inexpensively, but I would not worry about getting the latest and greatest until you decide this is the game for you and you've honed your swing mechanics. At that point, it's time for a proper club fitting and buying a good set, as having the right tools will also help you progress.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:24 PM   #18

When you think about it, and watch it, you have to wonder how can golf be so much fun? It's a sport that is frustrating, and many should quit because they're so continuously angry. But if you can get over the hump and acquire a modicum of proficiency, golf is a blast. Beautiful surroundings, amongst good friends and being outdoors. It's a wonderful 4 hour (hopefully that's all) diversion.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

For a ballpark fitting, you can use something like Ping's online software. Other manufacturers have the same. Once you get your specs, you can then order used clubs online from Ebay, 2ndSwing and Globalgolf just to name a few.

PING nFlight Web
Old 09-02-2019, 06:40 AM   #20

Watch for yard sales near retirement homes and complexes. My BIL receives clubs from widows who just want to get rid of things. Unfortunately, when he visits me, he'll bring the clubs, and hides them in my garage. Last count, I think I've given away about 8 sets.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote