Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I quit wearing a watch some years ago after continually breaking so many of them working on my cars. (Yes I could have taken them off, but I didn't). I was given a Rolex for retirement almost 5 years ago and I have worn it maybe 10 times. (Maybe) At home I have clocks all over the house, when driving I have clocks in the cars, and anywhere else, I just use the clock in my cell phone.

And yes, I often lose track of what day it is and for the most part, I don't care. I resync what day it is when Sunday football and/or NASCAR is on TV. Sometimes NASCAR runs on Saturday night but I can adjust for that.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:50 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
I am now 5 months into retirement and I had to buy a new watch today. Since leaving the workforce and not having the consistency of going into work I have lost track of what day of the week it is! Being asked about plans for "Friday" and me not being certain when Friday was led me to get a watch with a day and date function.

I would guess losing track of the day of week is pretty common.
Happens to me all the time. Kind of embarrassing. Need watch and my calendar around to remind me.

And when people say "have a nice weekend" - I don't even go through the "every day is the weekend" response anymore.

Retired in '09. Used to post here frequently back in '07 when the clock to retirement was ticking down. Where did the years go? I always say the days go by quicker in retirement than during the work week when you couldn't wait for Friday.

Now I wish the clock would slow down.......
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I splurged and bought my husband as a suprise - an expensive Apple Watch that he totally loves. Admittedly - a fun retirement toy but he claims it is very cool. Would he have bought one for himself --- NEVER. Is he having fun with it......ABSOLUTELY.
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have not worn a watch in years. At some point, I decided since my car has a clock as well as nearly every appliance in my life having a clock, I really didn't need to be bothered. My only exception, probably in the last 20 years, when I went to Australia I bought a super cheapo digital thing so I could keep track of when I was supposed to catch some form of transportation.
I have indeed already lost track of the days, but then, who cares?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #25

I've rarely worn a watch... Probably wore it the most in college... To keep track of when to go to class... That was obviously pre cellphone days.

In the workplace I had a small deskclock (prior to windows OS... after that I'd check on my computer). Once I caved and got a cell phone (very late 90's) I used that.

I've never liked the feel of a watch on my wrist... Ever... so I never wore one regularly.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I understand people using their cellphones for time and calendar functions; but, for me NOT carrying a cell phone constantly was one of the joys of retirement. I never carry it in or around the house and leave it home about 1/3rd of the time while running errors, etc.

To each their own!
robertf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Always wore a watch for work. Stopped using one after ER except when going on trips. I back into the day of the week by determining my daily routine at the gym. Other than that, everyday is essentially Saturday! 😃

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #28

I haven't worn a watch since 1991. Clocks are everywhere, so I never saw a need to strap one on my wrist. I've had a phone with the day/time on it since the mid 1990s.

Fast-forward to last year... I bought a Moto 360 Android smartwatch. At first, I wore it all the time. But the novelty wore off after a couple months. So I now wear it only when going out, or traveling, or on a long drive so I can use the watch for hands-free, navigation, notifications, etc.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #29

I quit wearing a watch about 5 years ago. I heard a news story that young people were not wearing watches because they just looked at their cell phones. That was an epiphany for me! Plus I was looking for a new watch band at the time which was a hassle. Been looking at my phone ever since to find the time.

However, I'm still pretty conscious of the time and maintain a Google calendar. Retirement can be busy too!
Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Knowing the day of the week isn't a problem for me during the school year since I still have the dichotomy between weekdays and weekends due to school calendar.

Now that we're in summer break, it's trickier. All those "doing anything fun this weekend?" / "how was your weekend?" questions throw me off since we're equally busy on weekdays and weekends (which is to say, not very busy at all). Not really a big deal except some places aren't open on Sundays, and when we go downtown to museums parking is more difficult during the weekdays 9-5 (so I have to leave 10 minutes earlier and walk an extra 3 blocks).

Though I have a phone to tell me what day it is, and wouldn't consider getting a watch.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 PM   #31

I saw this years ago and when I retired I found it again for the lake. It's close enough for me.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1467168249.680632.jpg