Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

NEW skill after retirement...
Old 09-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

NEW skill after retirement...

i have recently retired and i looking to go back to school and learn a new skill..... a skill that is portable and* in demand? i thought about a pharmacy tech? any ideas or experience to offer
jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: NEW skill after retirement...
Old 09-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If you don't mind getting back to school for two years, become an RN. Very high demand, very portable. In addition to on-call, pool, PT and FT, there are lost of opportunities for those three month assignments that they send you to Hawaii or wherever and you will get all sorts of allowances in addition to your pay check. Sort of a vacation. I just don't have the right personality for this type of job. I am not even talking about the needles and bodily fluids that almost make me faint when I am thinking about it.

Oh, and another very actual one: become a disaster inspector. Contractor firms hiring inspectors dispatch you to wherever they need the mess taken care of for FEMA. ~$45/visit - 10-16 visits/day, 3 weeks commitment at a time. May want to wear some body armour when you are out in e.g. Louisiana. 1 day training, nice if you know something about real estate/construction. Once you are out there, you are on your own though (transportation, hotel etc.). I am sure it can be exciting.

Vicky
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

jmm--
Why do you need a new skill? You're retired! Are you looking for extra income? What sort of things appeal to you?
As to Vicky 's suggestion to go for an associate RN degree, I'd caution against it unless you're really attracted to helping people at their most vulnerable--it is a career choice, in my experience, that will suck the life right out of you unless you're prepared for it. And genuinely want it.

Leslie
Old 09-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie
jmm--
Why do you need a new skill?* You're retired!* ** Are you looking for extra income?* What sort of things appeal to you?
As to Vicky 's suggestion to go for an associate RN degree,* I'd caution against it unless you're really attracted to helping people at their most vulnerable--it is a career choice, in my experience, that will suck the life right out of you unless you're prepared for it.* And genuinely want it.*

Leslie
I agree with Leslie. I know lots of RNs, and CNAs, Tough tough work
in many cases. I think your first inclination (pharmacy tech) would be
a better choice. IMHO, most folks who want to "work" after
retirement (is that oxymoronic?) already have the skills to do something
to bring in income, or just take something relatively unskilled
for "walking around money"......................

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Absolutely, I could not do the nursing thing either. I would rather be really retired. I am not 'caring' enough in addition to al lot of other things and I don't think I could handle the misery that I would be exposed to. My mom was a nurse and she could not get out of it fast enough. However, if the question is a new career that is portable and in high demand - I think this meets the requirement quite well.

Vicky
Old 09-24-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

to all responders:

thanks for the advice....i totally agree on the nursing thing....maybe part time at ups will work!!!!

jmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic

Oh, and another very actual one: become a disaster inspector. Contractor firms hiring inspectors dispatch you to wherever they need the mess taken care of for FEMA. ~$45/visit - 10-16 visits/day, 3 weeks commitment at a time. May want to wear some body armour when you are out in e.g. Louisiana. 1 day training, nice if you know something about real estate/construction. Once you are out there, you are on your own though (transportation, hotel etc.). I am sure it can be exciting.

Vicky
I have a friend who's husband does that, not a fun job, he travels all the time and you're right ..you're on your own out there. The money is good though and if you like roughing it then it's a great job.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:42 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My 23 year old daughter is an RN - although she loves her job she realizes she will burn out as she gets older in addition to the job being physically challenging for an older person (on your feet with no breaks for long periods of time plus lousy work schedules). She has started grad school with an intent to teach nursing in her future years.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:05 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about tax prep? A gew hndred bucks and some time spent at an H&R Block course and you'd be all set. Not the greatest pay, but not hard, easy to get into and pretty portable.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
How about tax prep?* A gew hndred bucks and some time spent at an H&R Block course and you'd be all set.* Not the greatest pay, but not hard, easy to get into and pretty portable.
Good idea!
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:28 AM   #11

Quote:
How about tax prep?* A gew hndred bucks and some time spent at an H&R Block course and you'd be all set.* Not the greatest pay, but not hard, easy to get into and pretty portable.
That would also be on my short list for a few extra bucks. I think there was someone on this site that does that.

I think ups is for younger people that can lift a lot. If you are mechanically inclined, small engine repair sounds good. I know a retired guy that does that but if you are good, you might get too much business.* and the newer stuff is more throw away. I think he works on a lot of the "older" stuff and resells, too.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

UPS, FedEX, DHL all require stong backs and a lot of endurance. Many can't cut it and leave after the first day on the job. If you can hack it they have great benefits (have members of my family working for two of the three mentioned). People in the ER stage of life would find this work difficult due to the extended periods of sorting and moving box after box as fast as you can.

H&R Block is also a job my DW was considering. She is very detailed and likes to work with people so this might work for her as a seasonal job during the colder months here leaving the warmer months open for travel and other non-work stuff. I am still looking for something to do part time and may join her as I have done my own and MIL's taxes for years. Most of the people that use H&R have pretty simple taxes compared to people that use a CPA. I don't know how much H&R pays but it would be that much less we would have to take out of the ER Kitty.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Similarly, one could also read a book on how to perform plastic surgery and move to Mexico and do cosmetic surgery.* http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Cosmeti...tory?id=475741
Old 09-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And that is how people end up with crap returns...... Ok to do returns for Joe Average W2 who works 9-5, may have house and that is it. I am helping a self-employed friend that had his taxes done by such a shake-and-bake tax preparer to sort out his taxes and get the deductions right. The tax preparer missed at least 20-40K deductions for years in a row.

I wonder whether these people can be held liable.

Vicky
Old 09-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
And that is how people end up with crap returns...... Ok to do returns for Joe Average W2 who works 9-5, may have house and that is it.* I am helping a self-employed friend that had his taxes done by such a shake-and-bake tax preparer to sort out his taxes and get the deductions right.* The tax preparer missed at least 20-40K deductions for years in a row.

I wonder whether these people can be held liable.

Vicky
As with most things, you get what you pay for in tax prep. Personally, I have no intention of letting anyone touch mine.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote