nm

Re: Plan to die at age 80!

I think age 40-50 is when you start seeing some of the cumulative damage you've been doing to yourself over the years. Just about all diseases of old age are long-term progressive diseases that start very early, and most of them are preventable. I suspect (and hope) that we'll soon have a huge pendulum swing towards preventative health maintenance and away from the brute-force last-effort medical practices we have today.

I think my Dad had to quit fly fishing when he was 75 or so. It was a main passion in his life, but the cold water and slippery rocks became too much for him. Also, by then most of his fishing buddies were starting to die.

He lived till he was 96. I will always miss him. I wish he could have talked with you, Cut-throat. All his buddies said he was the best fly fisherman of all of them. He was a bachelor until he was 47, and I think it was his passion of fly fishing that kept him single for so long. He could land a fly within an inch of his target on small streams with a lot of overhanging brush. My Pop always said my Mom was his best catch though.

My Mother still has 40 of the 120 acres he bought in the 1940's. The 40 acres has a log cabin in front of a beautiful trout stream in Michigan. The relatives now use the cabin property for mushroom hunting and tubing the river.

My Dad had one trout he caught mounted. His friend came over on the last day of trout season while my Dad was painting the outside of his house. The friend pursuaded him to quit painting and go fly fishing. The friend didn't get a bite all day, but my Pop caught one so big that it wouldn't fit in his creol.

In addition to being a great fly fisherman, my Dad was also a great engineer and a very smart investor. When he retired, he was making $18k but his portfolio is worth more than $3 million.

His best quality was his kindness, sense of humor and love for other people. My Mother is the same way. I lucked out !

-helen

Some pretty good observations and some pretty good guidelines CT.

In my late 50's, I already have begun toning down the required physical strength and stamina required for my outdoor adventures. Not only to benefit myself, but for the safety of canoeing-hiking-climbing-fishing partners, whether the partner is DW or one of the guys.

75 may be too optimistic for me, given some health issues already cropping up. So I've rank ordered some things we still want to do with plans to do the most demanding first. The easiest, like fly-in fishing trips, will be last. I'm not counting on being able to do those things without the company of some younger folks past the age of 70. If I can great. But the planning number is 70

Helen said:
My Dad had one trout he caught mounted. 

caught a pre-mounted trout. that is so cool. whenever we anchored off a reef my ol'man would try to catch lobster thermidor.

seriously though, what a nice memory to tell of your dad.

as to the timing of life, i factored that into my er. watching mom deteriorate over the years, i figured with alzheimer's i'd be self sufficient until about 70-75. i wanted at least 20 years of no working and 15-20 years of boating life. if i make it past that i'll be happily gardening in puna.

What a sobering thread. I suspect it is true for the most part. If we don't do those active things we plan in our 50s to the 70s at the latest we probably won't do them. But I am curious if any older board members are out there who can tell us how it affected them psychologically.

I am a lousy athelete but very active. I windsurf, wakeboard, ski, snow board, and even roller hockey. From 1986 until the late 90s I was pretty fanatical about the windsurfing. I used to go out on the Potomac in February wearing a full wet suit, hood, and gloves. But over the past several years I have found myself dialing way back. I rarely go out unless the weather is beautiful and the water is warm and, even with that, it usually takes the interest of some learner who talks me into rigging up the boards and showing them how to sail.

All of the other sports followed a similar trajectory. I still ski (water and snow) and snow board, just not very much. And with the snow boarding (which entails a fair amount of falling for me unlike skiing) I found myself wondering if I should drop it soon to avoid the possibility of busted bones.

The interesting thing is that cutting back these sports hasn't really bothered me. The fire just isn't there to go out on a board in cold water. Instead I took up golf last year and have a renewed interest in scuba diving -- something I did in the 70s and pretty much dropped when windsurfing took over.

So, for those of you in your 80s or higher (are there any of you out there?) does slowing down and settling in feel good or bad? I'm hoping that, if the hips go, I will find sendentary stuff satisfactory.

Don

Crap.

Many of my neighbours are in their late 70's. and in their 80's, totally independant, some still ski, some still bike, all walk daily.

Fishing, give me a break, I go down to the shoal at 5.a.m, guys in their 80's are already there.

I walk the trails several days a week, many have a good 10 or 15 years on me, they walk them every day.

Use it or lose it, sit in front of daytime TV, your joints will seize up, your bowels will stop functioning.

Walk to the store, or bike, you will be surprised how much better you feel.

CT, some of the boys caught a 60 Pound Sturgeon in their nets last week, Released it of course, but it was pretty damn exiting.

Trout Season opens in two weeks, you an see the little buggers getting ready to make their run.

Government has put in this new jazzy fish ladder, cost over a million, but it does make it a lot easier for the fish to get upstream and for the Tourists to watch them jumping.

I agree with C-T.  Y'all come with me to the Nursing Home.  Gonna go there today, where it's my Mom's 86th birthday.  Notice her and most of the other residents.  It is not pretty.  In fact, I hate to go in there.  I get an 18-20 year flash-forward, when someone will be putting me out to sun.  To repeat, ad nauseum, carpe diem.  No matter how young you are. 

Maximillion:

Your time in Florida must be completely taken up by your simulation of the alligator:  an animal with a big mouth and no ears.

Remember, condo in Spain and winters in Australia.

The point of the thread is not that nobody will be able to be agressively active late in life but rather that the odds do become less favorable.  Therefore, it's probably wise to schedule agressive physical activities earlier.  If you're one of the lucky ones who can still portage a canoe with a 70 pound pack on your back over a rugged six mile portage at 95 years old, more power to you.  But I'm not postponing my next trip until I'm 95 based on the assuption that I will be able to.

I think CT makes a terrific observation when he notes that a higher percentage of folks must give up certain activities later in life than early.  And that's one factor in planning ER timing and scheduling activities.

If you're not noticing you can't do now everything you could do then, you're just not pushing yourself hard enough.

Eagle43 said:
I agree with C-T.  Y'all come with me to the Nursing Home.  Gonna go there today, where it's my Mom's 86th birthday.  Notice her and most of the other residents.  It is not pretty.  In fact, I hate to go in there.  I get an 18-20 year flash-forward, when someone will be putting me out to sun.  To repeat, ad nauseum, carpe diem.  No matter how young you are. 

Eagle,
I am right there with you on this one. My mother is in Assisted Living and visiting there makes you see what ones possible future may be. Sure there are the exceptions on both sides of the functionality camp in advanced age but you have to slow down sometime. I know I have adjusted my spending in my Golden Years to reflect my future lack of desire or lack of ablility to do a lot of stuff that will cost $$$. If you can't travel then your travel budget can be eliminated etc.

It sucks to get older but it sure beats the alternative.

Cut-Throat said:
It has become pretty apparent to me that any meaningful activity should be completed before age 75. Otherwise it most likely will be too late. I don't mean financially plan to die at age 80. Financially I would plan to age 100. But enjoying activities after age 80 is clearly on borrowed time.
My uncle, who was 86 when he died, was an avid fisherman who fished until he was about 84.  He could no longer wade, but he found a nice spring-fed creek that allowed him to stand on the banks and cast size 22 Tricos.  He caught a lot of fish that way.  He also was in a fishing club that had a stocked pond and he could sit in a lawn chair and cast spinners.  Not as much fun as catching steelhead, but he adjusted.  My FIL is 77.  He is an artist and still does art and craft shows by himself.  He plans to quit when he hits 80.   I agree with your point, but I think 75 is negotiable. :) One of the reasons I plan to RE (55) is because I want to be able to have some time to fish and kayak while I can still get around. When I can't get around, I'll do surf fishing.  I see lots of guys in their 70s and 80s doing that and you get to sit down most of the time.  I think if you are able to tweak your expectations, you can go longer than 75.

tomz said:
I think if you are able to tweak your expectations, you can go longer than 75.

Looking ahead from today, you can hope you're one of the lucky ones still snow boarding at 97, but I'm afraid the odds do start to turn against you.  CT's post reminded me of something my mother would tell me: "Have a little fun today, you'll be dead a long time." She did, and she is.

Putting off cherished activities that require strength and stamina based on seeing a few folks in their 80's doing them isn't for me.

I agree with CT and Eagle43.  Carpe Diem.  I'm not drawing a line, apriori,  at 70 or 75 to cease heavy duty physical activities. But I am planning today like the risk I'll have to stop increases significantly then.

Everyone walks to their own beat though, and I respect that. 

I think that is great advice to plan to do anything really meaningful by age 75.

Then anything past that is gravy!!  Icing on the cake!  A celebration and appreciation of the extra years of reasonably good health that you are gifted with!

I remember going on a 10 mile hike in hot desert terrain and a 2500 foot climb with a man who was 80 and had 3 stents.  He did great.  Wow - was THAT inspiring!

A woman worked out with our personal trainer.  She was celebrating her 96th birthday when we moved!  Wow!

I notice that a lot of health issues as an older person are related to healthy lifestyle choices at a younger age.  Sure, there are diseases not related - things happen.  But the ability to remain physically active is related to how physically active you were in your middle years.  If you are a woman and don't strength train, you may be too frail in your 60s and 70s (or older!) to enjoy long hikes and other enjoyable outdoor activities.  If you are sedentary and overweight - same issues.  

Starting with the 40s, I notice a HUGE discrepancy in the physical health between people.  Some look young and fit.  Some look like they are about to keel over.

Since 40 I have been working to stay physically fit, and learning valuable things like yoga.  I hope to keep the old body in good physical health so that I can hike as long as possible.  I really hope for a physically active old age.  But even with that I realize many things will become more difficult.

Audrey

My dad played tennis until he was 85 when his knees could no longer take it. He died at 89. I'm only 59 but have had major back problems that limit my activites to walking and swimming. I am also a cancer survivor and have more than my share of other annoying ailments. My wife and I are doing as much travel as we can afford before I get too decrepit to enjoy it. In 2004 we went to Alaska and the Panama canal. This year we are going to Utah (Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks) and to the Greek Isles. I am not counting on being able to do a lot of physical activity for more than another 5 years.

Grumpy

I have a few relatives that are way up in years, but still very active. My Granddad, on my Dad's side, is either 90 or 91 now (hate to say it, but I lost count!) Just gave up driving last year. Now he doesn't go skydiving or anything like that, but still keeps himself pretty busy with projects around the house, gardening, etc. Last year he put in a new water heater...by himself! And I remember last summer I figured I'd swing by for lunch. I called first, and there was no answer, which bothered me because he's ALWAYS home around that time. So I drove by, and saw him out in front of his house, painting his fence!

My grandma's cousin, who lives next door to me, is 81, still drives, and is constantly throwing big parties, doing these huge cooking extravaganzas, going on trips, doing stuff with her senior citizens group, taking care of her swimming pool, landscaping, etc. She's been talking about putting in a fish pond this summer...by herself! I always tell her to let me know if there's anything she needs help with, but she's very self-sufficient. Rarely calls unless she needs help moving something really heavy, or maybe something like putting boxes up in her attic, which has access via a pull-down staircase that's steep, narrow, and wobbly.

Now my Grandma isn't so active anymore, at the age of 82, and having had macular degeneration for about 7 years. But she and her cousin go places and swim and exercise together.

I don't think you can really lump old people into one category. Just like any other group, they're made up by a vast number of individuals, all of them different. Sure, there are plenty of them rotting away in nursing homes. But at the same time there are plenty of them out there traveling, surfing, fishing, hiking, or what have you, and everything in between.

Still, the odds are increasingly against you as you age. So basically, you might as well just live your life to the fullest, no matter what your age, and try your best not to miss out on anything.

Cutthroat & Eagle 43:

I realize your points were to "geterdone" while you have the ability and desire to do so, but keep that up, and it will come to no good end. ;)

The golf courses and fly streams are already too crowded for my tastes, and somebody's got to pay for my soc.sec. ;)

Jarhead, who in two months, will have to bid
farewell to his 60's. (Holy Crap) ;)

youbitcher, my point is that you can still do many of the things in your 80's that you did in your 40's, maybe just not at the same pace.

I may be an Alligator, but you must be a pidgeon, not happy unless you are squawking or pooping on someone??

I moved to an area that offers 4 Seasons recreation, it was a deliberate choice, and people that moved to this area did it for the same reasons.

I am within 5 minutes from a Marina for Boating, I am within 5 minutes from Nottawasaga Bay and the Beaver river for fishing, I have easy access to trails that are for hikers and bikers only, we have Town tennis courts, Golf Courses galore(we play the small town courses as good , not crowded, and cheaper), winter we have access to all sports and night Skiing only costs $ 300 a Season, Snow shoeing or cross country is free.

The area is crowded on many weekends, mid week it is just like any other small town.

My 80 year old neighbours may not ski Double Diamond, just don't tell them they are to old too

http://www.bluemountainlodges.ca/

Cut-Throat said:
I have got a lot of friends age 65-75. I visit with them a couple times weekly. Age is definitely catching up with them. I hear about their trips to the doctor for various tests. Not fun at all. The tests may even be more painful than the disease they are testing for! A lot of them can no longer accompany me on my annual trek to Alaska. Some can no longer wade the local trout streams. Some are marking time to the next Hip replacement, Back surgury and Cancer treatment.
It has become pretty apparent to me that any meaningful activity should be completed before age 75. Otherwise it most likely will be too late. I don't mean financially plan to die at age 80. Financially I would plan to age 100. But enjoying activities after age 80 is clearly on borrowed time.
Oh yes, there may be some anecdotal evidence that folks are living great lives into their 90's, but I wouldn't plan on it anymore than looking at Firecalc and taking the BEST possible outcome, and withdrawing 10% per year!
I think it helps setting deadlines to do things that are important in life. Just as we do in FireCalc; take the worst possible scenario and get the important things done now.
I have to agree that it makes no sense to procrastinate, and if you enjoy doing things in your 60s & 70s then it might be worth doing them again in your 80s. I'm not saving sex for old age, although I'm inclined to let some of the younger participants ripen a little...

As for the medical horror stories, I wonder if they're either having a lot of fun scaring the youngster or if they're using you for misery-loves-company therapy. You sound like you're certainly not happy contemplating their inevitable deterioration. Do you need a new set of friends?

For those of you scaring yourselves visiting care homes, I'd have to say that it's a good thing you're not visiting cemeteries. I don't think you'll find healthy people in either place, and certainly not the healthy 80-somethings.

I think that active people will stay active no matter their age. Sedentary people will stay that way, too, until they're permanently sedentary. My father is still hiking 40-50 miles/week in his 70s but he chooses to "not do" pretty much everything else. My parents-in-law do a lot of walking and are extremely healthy also but they're just not the kind of people who "do" things.

We watched USNA '50 celebrate their 55th reunion in Waikiki last year-- definitely a group of "doers". A couple of them are still working in their very late 70s. Others have been partying since their 50s. The fact that over 100 couples made it to Hawaii indicates that they're not poor, not demented, and in at least decent health. We had a couple of wheelchairs & canes but no walkers. Most of them were bitching about the crowded golf courses & surf breaks and having a wonderful time ignoring all the instructions of the reunion staff.

Watch the examples of the people on Elderhostel cruises. I don't think it'll be so bad.

Jarhead* said:
Jarhead, who in two months, will have to bid farewell to his 60's.  (Holy Crap) ;)
It's not time to grow up yet, is it? Good thing you can still fake being young & immature!

This is the best example of a thread where everyone is saying similar things but talking past one another that I've seen in a long time....... :LOL:

Maximillion said:
but you must be a pidgeon, not happy unless you are  pooping on someone??

I hope you weren't looking up when the poop came down!  ;)

I moved to an area that offers 4 Seasons recreation, it was a deliberate choice, and people that moved to this area did it for the same reasons.

Looks very nice Maximillion.  Thanks for sending the url.

My plan is to live well for as long as I can, and if I start to get alzheimers or something else that really affects my quality of living, I may just decide to become a heroin junkie at age 80 and overdose. I have seen both scenarios, a 90 year old with more vigor than a 40 year old, and a 70 year old in so much pain from cancer and other ailments that she chose to stop the chemo and just say goodbye. Who knows what the future will hold, but I hope that I never have to go to a retirement home. They are sad and depressing. It is not such a big deal if you are older and can't do all the physical activity of a younger man or woman. But when my mind goes.... then it is gonna be the end for me I hope.

I also agree that you better enjoy all your physical activities while you can. OTOH, I have a 94 year old aunt who enjoyed working in her garden over the years. All tho she can't do that now, she has developed another hobby and that is reading. She reads one book after another and truely loves it! My sis-in-law goes to one garage sale after another just to keep her supplied with plenty of books. She has read more books in the last year than most have in a life time.

So the moral of the story is...... although your 80's and beyond may not be the activities you once enjoyed, there still can be some pleasurable things to do as we get older. I hope.  :-\

Eagle, 1943 must have been a very good year. Our moms both gained a great deal of weight way back then. :LOL:

My mother was 86 in October so she's about the same age as your mom.

Fortunately she is not in a nursing home. She still lives in the same house she was born in. :)

Cut-Throat said:
Thinking of this thread, I mentioned to him that anything beyond age 80 is 'icing on the cake'. He told me that reaching age 80 is much harder than people think. He will be 74 this summer.

These people excercised daily, but still have to face the reality of life and the things that they have no control of.
Dude, do you need to go on another fishing vacation?

You're becoming an expert at noticing the negatives. Maybe it's time to accentuate the positives-- how many healthy people did you see today?

Nords said:
Dude, do you need to go on another fishing vacation? 

You're becoming an expert at noticing the negatives.  Maybe it's time to accentuate the positives-- how many healthy people did you see today?

:D :D

You noticed too.

Oakland just finished a 3 game series with the Twins. They were remarking how nice the weather was in Minneanapolis, and was a shame they had to play in the Metrodome. (Roofed Ball-park).

So, it can't be the weather.

What's up Cutthroat? Tell your Uncle Jarhead all about it. (I promise to be gentle). ;)

Back
Top Bottom