No fixed address.....

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
Probably a pretty simple answer here, but how do y'all with "no fixed address" deal with things like "Sorry, we don't cash out-of-state checks" and receiving mail that you actually want in a timely manner?

After racking up over $35,000 of CC debt (which is almost paid off) I am deeply averse to the bloody things and have sworn them off forever. So if that's the answer, forget it.

Debit cards work for me so far.

When I first got a job in another country, I opened a bank account there for direct deposit with a debit card. I also have a credit card for business only, which I pay off religiously. But I have been in that trap, too.

As far as mail goes, I don't have a problem as I have a home base, but some have used their extended family for postmasters and others have used private mail box companies. This last can be expensive. I cannot recommend one as I have no personal experience with any.

The foilks who run this board:
http://members4.boardhost.com/Nayarit/
use a private mail operation. Go to their board and ask the question. (It is a fun board, too, about life in Mexico, specifically Tepic.)

Ed

I have a "fixed address" so that part doesn't apply to me, however the spending part does.

I haven't tried to write an "out-of-state" check since May 1987, in NYC. The store owner said it wasn't going to happen! Starting that day, and ever since, I use debit, credit, or cash....in that order.

The debit is the easiest.....don't have to fill in all that crap on a check....just sign the receipt....no bill to pay at the end of the month....just deduct the amount in your check register. I just have to stay aware of my bank account balance.....which helps me curb unnecessary spending! Also, using the debit card really helps me track my spending, so I know where almost every penny is spent! :)

I, too, had a LARGE amount of CC debt ( ~62k as of 3 years ago.... :eek:....have paid off ALL but a very, very small amount, and that will be paid off in the next couple of months...and it's @ 3.99% down to 0%) therefore using CC is NOT my 1st choice. Now when I use a CC, it is paid IN FULL at the end of the month...ALWAYS!!!

Paying with cash is my 3rd choice, because I never carry much green on me!!! I've found that if I don't carry much cash...I don't spend as much, seems it's easier for me to whip out a fiver, than it is to whip out my debit card!

Goonie said:
The debit is the easiest.....don't have to fill in all that crap on a check....just sign the receipt....no bill to pay at the end of the month....just deduct the amount in your check register. I just have to stay aware of my bank account balance.....which helps me curb unnecessary spending! Also, using the debit card really helps me track my spending, so I know where almost every penny is spent! :)

I can't really see an advantage to using a debit card instead of a credit card. Paying the credit cared bill monthly takes less time than keeping my check register up after each debit transaction, tracking spending with a credit card is identical to a debit card, I get float on my money with the credit card and the credit card company gifts me trinkets or plane tickets every so often.

Well, credit cards are a lifesaver for the mobile lifestyle. We wouldn't be able to survive without it. We have paid off the balance monthly for years. Maybe you can get used to doing that.

CCs are not evil in themselves. You have to use them correctly.

I only rarely use checks, and places that don't accept CCs will often accept out of state checks.

Audrey

there is a book by jj luna called how to be invisible with the paranoid premise of protecting your identity. i heard of it from a liveaboard (boating) forum. i didn't find it worth buying but perhaps your library might have a copy. it does have some ideas on how to establish fixed identity while on the fly.

youbet said:
I can't really see an advantage to using a debit card instead of a credit card.

The advantage for me, is the debit card allows me to only spend what I have....and a CC allows me to spend that PLUS what I don't have.

As someone who has had a massive amount of CC debt in the past, I prefer not to have the temptation continuously there to regress. That said, I do carry a CC for emergencies, and for some major planned purchases (also for rental cars, hotels, etc., when I travel)

And that's why for retiredbop, who was in a similar CC debt situation, I'd recommend debit over CC.

Just my opinion. :)

retiredbop said:
Probably a pretty simple answer here, but how do y'all with "no fixed address" deal with things like "Sorry, we don't cash out-of-state checks" and receiving mail that you actually want in a timely manner?

Checks? What are those? :LOL: Been a long time since I wrote a check. Debit or CC works. I see no advantage to the CC (unless you're keen on some points reward system). I do have one CC but never use it. It just wastes my time. I can pay my CC online at any time from my checking account. Why not just use my checking account to start with via debit? And since I don't buy anything I can't afford, I don't have any reason to "float money until I get paid" or anything.

If someplace requires a check for some reason, I can get online thru my bank and have a check in any amount mailed anywhere. Never had to use that though.

A reputable mail forwarding service will get your mail to you on time whenever you specify. You're generally looking at an annual cost of around $200 plus postage for items sent. RV'ers, boaters and expats rely on them and there are quite few to choose from.

I haven't used this service, but asked a similar question (About long term travel). A mail forwarding service with optional bill paying services. Geared to the sailing set, but I guess will take anybody's money:

www.vmfs.com

Aside: Spring '06, I interviewed a Yankee expat in Southern Mexico who claims he has no problems with the Mexican post! To each his own, but I think I'd take my chances with a private courier service in many foreign countries.

I have toyed with the idea of travel, live in Latin America, but the logistics of mail, bills, money, etc. give me the willies. I have no home base in USA, but possibly could establish one.

pedorrero said:
I haven't used this service, but asked a similar question (About long term travel). A mail forwarding service with optional bill paying services. Geared to the sailing set, but I guess will take anybody's money:

www.vmfs.com

That is the service I used while afloat. I was very happy with their service, and never had mail problems despite having no fixed address.

I operate that type of service for my daughter. For the last two years she has been on tour with two different Broadway type shows. The first year with "Oklahoma" they were in 90 cities in 22 weeks! There was almost no way for mail to catch up with them reliably. What we did is change her address on all accounts, billings, etc. to my address and had the post office forward any lagging mail to my address. She pays most of her regular bills on-line (the hotels they stay in all have internet connections). If I get something in the mail that she needs to see I scan it into a pdf file and email it to her. She has a portable printer with her laptop if she needs hard copy. This year the "Hairspray" tour stays in each city longer but we have just continued this arrangement. I wind up doing her tax return for her as well since all of the 1099's and W-2's come to my address. This stuff only takes a few minutes every few days (except the tax return). If you have a trusted friend or relative who could do this for you it works very well.

Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom