Non-financial preparation for ER

My retirement coincided with the holiday season (T-giving/X-mas) so there was a lot of travel, family visits, etc. Once everything settled down in January and folks went back to w*rk and kids back to school, I was initially scared that I would be bored and not have anything to do. But, going on close to two years and I haven't been bored (or even CLOSE!) to being bored...as a matter of fact, I very often don't get done what I want to do on a DAILY BASIS...but that's OK to me.

I personally wouldn't PLAN anything per se. I would just let it flow and see what happens. One of the great things about retirement is that you are free to re-invent yourself as many times as you wish!

I underestimated how much of s driven person I am. I still look at job listings that would be challenging, then walk away when I remember that these would be 10+ hours a day in the cube. It isn't easy to hang up your spurs. I would think seriously about how you will deal with that if you have a similar internal makeup.

I've done something useful every day this week. Pulling weeds, cleaning, setting up a concert for one of my music groups, etc. I love taking care of my home and not taking care of work. Today I've been goofing off and loving every minute of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I think taking the time to do a true honest inventory of friends acquaintances and activities to be clearer in my own mind about who I wanted to spend time with and what I wanted to spend time doing. Time is like calories or money - you can spend your budget well or poorly but there's a limit so you might as well have a plan!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom