Join Early Retirement Today

Not FIRE but FIRED
Old 04-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Not FIRE but FIRED

Ok, fires isn’t exactly the word since I stepped down from a leadership role to make way for some of the new guys ... they wanted the job and I have done it before. The new gig was going to be risky in a downturn but I was only planning to stay (max) another year. I am clearly old enough (64) to retire but like working. Unfortunately my industry is in the dumper (oil) and I am going to get to retire just shortly. I will probably restart a consulting business I once had (successful but a lot more work than I really want to do). I have several options and I suppose I am financially ok. Assuming oil doesn’t stay cheap forever.

Anyway I have a long list of “stuff to do in retirement” but I like working. Just maybe not full time.

Advice always welcome
fracmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2020, 09:44 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
I suppose I am financially ok. Advice always welcome
Suppose?
What do the models say?
What are your numbers?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So are you working because you need to or because you want to?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm 51. Lost my job when I was 44 so we fell into the wife's house in Thailand with a modest military retirement, 600k portfolio and about 200k in cash. Worried sick about money at first, tracked every expenditure on Excel and after a month or two, saw we were going to be fine as long as we kept out heads and lived within our new numbers, and I can afford to leave the portfolio reinvesting Divs most of the year.

The problem became finding stuff to fill all the slack time we have. Living the dream, no stress, no commitments to speak of, no emails or phone calls with work problems..... became a monotonous drag. But I made it through. Been here 7 years and now, the idea of going back to work has gone in the other direction. I can't imagine it. The Get Up and Go has Got Up and Went.

So, if you like to work, that consulting gig, if you can control it so it's not the tail wagging the dog, sounds like a sensible idea.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:43 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now that I am RE, I find that I would not want even part time work to interfere with how I choose to spend my time. I enjoy the complete freedom now too much.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #6

OP, could you have a plan that lets you take a sabbatical while keeping your industry contacts warm, form a consulting practice and see what comes your way? This assumes the numbers work, as others above noted.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:28 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The way it sounds, you are all over with your board with your thoughts. Really not sure what you are looking for in any answer or help.
It sounds to me you want to work so then you need to stay working. If you are worried about down time in the oil industry and losing your job, then I would say you have other problem.
Remember there are people that will do your job better then you have and that you are replaceable. Sounds to me you don't want to give your status up and who you are in the working industry.
Good luck with what you are looking for.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

The numbers work fine and some good points raised. I’d like to stay in the industry but not full-time. I guess my confusion of the options (academic/consulting/back to work/ boards etc) has more to do with the lack of clarity in the industry itself. I may write my fourth book... the other three didn’t sell too many copies but at lest they were thick. ;-}
fracmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Now that I am RE, I find that I would not want even part time work to interfere with how I choose to spend my time. I enjoy the complete freedom now too much.

+1 absolute truth
Gallaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The big problem with your question is that nobody but you can really answer...

Some on the board has zero want or need to work and will do anything in their power NOT to have to work...

Others work part time and love it... some doing consulting and some just part time at a company..

Some say they are RE but then have a side business doing blogging or other online stuff that brings in money (some quite a lot of money) but they insist they are not working...

Another group do a lot of volunteer 'work' and also love that...

Each group thinks differently and each will have a view that will skew toward what they chose...

Me, I did temp work for awhile but they wanted me to travel much father than I wanted to and so the opportunities dried up... I was fine with that also...

Now I 'shelter in place'.... but I got a good start on that before the virus hit
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallaher View Post
+1 absolute truth
+2 indeed.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
So are you working because you need to or because you want to?
Yeah, the reference to oil prices makes me wonder. Hopefully the OP is diversified.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay,a different direction in this discussion.
Ex-exploration geoscientist/international exploration manager viewpoint.
While financially I was okay to retire,and with a lifelong goal of retiring early, it took several practice tries before I figured retirement out. I'm in my third (and final) retirement. It took a while to step back and give up the hunt. And actually, after all these years of retirement, I still has dreams at night about developing and drilling prospects.
My point is that if you have had a career doing something unique that demanded your full attention 24/7 for your entire career, it can be tough to let go.
But you can, and once you do,it's a wonderful thing.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

^ That is true being in an unique field and calling the shots and some times even having to make decisions when life can be in danger.
I know all about a job that is 24/7/365. Lol Yes it can take awhile to find your way and to be able to live a different path.
I do think of many that I know just can't give their importance status or lose who they are or don't think someone else could do their job.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
Ok, fires isn’t exactly the word since I stepped down from a leadership role to make way for some of the new guys ... they wanted the job and I have done it before. The new gig was going to be risky in a downturn but I was only planning to stay (max) another year. I am clearly old enough (64) to retire but like working. Unfortunately my industry is in the dumper (oil) and I am going to get to retire just shortly. I will probably restart a consulting business I once had (successful but a lot more work than I really want to do). I have several options and I suppose I am financially ok. Assuming oil doesn’t stay cheap forever.

Anyway I have a long list of “stuff to do in retirement” but I like working. Just maybe not full time.

Advice always welcome
well there are several posting on You-tube and other platforms with energy sector experience , that might work for you if you like crypto currencies , would be a shame to let the experience go to waste

oil coming back ... that is a tough one oil has gone from political football to Murderball

however depending on your skills that might easily translate to other areas , logistics , finance , etc etc

personally i would suggest if you have a chance to build up the financial buffer in an efficient manner , you will happy you did later , the global economy looks a mess , trading agreements fractured , unbelievable mountains of debt everywhere , and emerging markets given a gap to grow into

have a look around the net , maybe you can pick up some consulting work from the professional money managers

cheers

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #16

I may be WAY off base but I'm going to stick in my 2c

In your case, you have said nothing that indicates you are ready to retire. Retirement has 2 parts: financial and mental. You may meet the 1st one, you don't meet the 2nd one. If consulting doesn't work out you might want to look at volunteering.
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote