Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Somewhat related to the last 3 comments:

In the 70s, I gave away all my belongings, quit my job (Seattle, Bethlehem Steel) and hitchhiked around the US. Wanted to see the US and decide where to end up.

Without a doubt, the best experience of my life--ended up in SoCal.

Did a Forest Gump thing one time too. Hitchhiked from LA to Montana, then North Dakota and well into Minnesota. Changed my mind about going east. The person stopped the car, let me out, I crossed the freeway and started my way back to SoCal.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting about the "horror" stories of working for Amazon Workforce. The physical stress, employer provided pain killers, stretching exercises before working, and no benefits (I am guessing since they are temp workers). What struck me was how the media was not running with this story. Can you imagine if Walmart did this? There would be an expose on 60 minutes or some such for taking advantage of seniors. But for some reason, Amazon is the darling of the media-and Walmart, the whipping boy.
brucethebroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
What struck me was how the media was not running with this story. Can you imagine if Walmart did this? There would be an expose on 60 minutes or some such for taking advantage of seniors. But for some reason, Amazon is the darling of the media-and Walmart, the whipping boy.
I've come to believe that almost everything in the media is agenda driven.

IMO the only place where there is any semblance of unbiased truth is in sports statistics and the daily stock market numbers.

(I won't bother you with our personal story of how the media --CNN in this case-- can twist one's perception of the facts)
Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

There are some stories: Washington Post writer slams Jeff Bezos in op-ed for mistreating workers | Fox Business
Tekward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Amazon should be ashamed of themselves . They are making tons of money so they should offer their workers something not take advantage of people down on their luck .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:18 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Amazon should be ashamed of themselves . They are making tons of money so they should offer their workers something not take advantage of people down on their luck .
I wonder how many of these campers are actually 'down on their luck'.

My suspicion is that most are RVers who've found a way to make a few extra bucks during the holiday season, then move on to another sunny location.

There's always going to be someone doing this who lives under the proverbial bridge eating dog food and these seem to be the people that writers seek out.

Nobody wants to read about Mr and Mrs toiling for Amazon by day and then sleeping in their $300K RV at night after a nice steak dinner.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I think what annoys me most about these types of articles is not only that some of the subjects of the stories seem to wallow in their learned helplessness, but that the reporters can't/don't/won't see it themselves. No one thinks to sit down with these folks, go over their finances, and help them find senior services. Or maybe some people have tried, but the allure of ostriching was just too much for them.

I just can't imagine hearing someone talk about losing everything and running out of food without trying to help them with their budget and navigating the social safety net. Everyone involved seems to be willing to just throw up their hands and give up.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
I think what annoys me most about these types of articles is not only that some of the subjects of the stories seem to wallow in their learned helplessness, but that the reporters can't/don't/won't see it themselves. No one thinks to sit down with these folks, go over their finances, and help them find senior services. Or maybe some people have tried, but the allure of ostriching was just too much for them.

I just can't imagine hearing someone talk about losing everything and running out of food without trying to help them with their budget and navigating the social safety net. Everyone involved seems to be willing to just throw up their hands and give up.
Right on. There are so many holes.

About 20 years ago, some friends at church agreed to be in an article on retirement planning in the USA Today. Oh my goodness, that article was detailed beyond belief! It is hard to believe USA Today was that good at one time, because it always seemed like candy, but compared to today's "expert articles," it was fantastic.

I can't believe our friends were so open. I mean, they got down to every detail. Not just NW, but every detail on how they are investing (specific funds, sectors, etc.) What they currently make today, what their expenses are, how much they are saving, etc. All that posted with their pictures and home town! More detail than we see here posted anonymously.

We asked them, "How and Why?" The "How" was they were a friend of a friend of the writer. The "Why" was they felt they were doing well and wanted to help show people how to do it. It was not bragging, they were doing well, but these people don't brag.

When I look back at it, the article WAS very useful to me and they did a great service. The writer was very comprehensive and thorough with them. You just don't see that anymore.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
From personal experience, sometimes the hands get thrown up after 1,827 attempts to help right their ship.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I ERed last year, and live full-time in a travel trailer. It's great. We roam around the country hiking, biking, and visiting family and friends. I don't work at all and don't plan to, but this is a great lifestyle. It's a very easy way of controlling your living costs. We have a great solar set up which allows us to camp offgrid for free!
Marketwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:09 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I can't believe our friends were so open. I mean, they got down to every detail. Not just NW, but every detail on how they are investing (specific funds, sectors, etc.) What they currently make today, what their expenses are, how much they are saving, etc. All that posted with their pictures and home town! More detail than we see here posted anonymously.
Wow- they had guts I'd never have. I'd LOVE to be part of an article explaining how someone with a good job (but never above VP in a business where VPs are a dime a dozen) and a decent education can hit multi-millions with hard work, LBYM and some luck, but only two trusted friends and two family members know my net worth. Half my HS friends on FB use the word "millionaire" as a pejorative.

I think Money Magazine still does profiles that are that comprehensive. I have to admit that when I was in my 30s and struggling to pay the bills in a HCOL area with a spendthrift husband who had splendid tastes, I couldn't bear to read those articles. The people in my age group all seemed to be living in a paid-for house with their 2 preschool kids' future college educations fully funded.

To get back to the OT, I'm sure part of the RV group who COULD be in senior housing with available social programs is hanging in because, frankly, that sound pretty dull. What do you do all day when you live in a little apartment and have no money? I wonder how many seniors in those places even have a car to get to the free things that are available. Your choices boil down to what the government programs choose to give you. Traveling around in a rickety RV, meeting friends along the way and doing strenuous work may be more attractive.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I think people find camaraderie in working for Amazon alongside many cohorts. It's more fun than spending time at Walmart, then going quietly back to your RV tucked in the back of a trailer park.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I think people find camaraderie in working for Amazon alongside many cohorts. It's more fun than spending time at Walmart, then going quietly back to your RV tucked in the back of a trailer park.
In addition, the paycheck buys more, as the cost of getting to and from work is much lower.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Wow- they had guts I'd never have. I'd LOVE to be part of an article explaining how someone with a good job (but never above VP in a business where VPs are a dime a dozen) and a decent education can hit multi-millions with hard work, LBYM and some luck, but only two trusted friends and two family members know my net worth. Half my HS friends on FB use the word "millionaire" as a pejorative.
That's exactly right. Nothing extravagant on their wages for a white collar non-manager mid 40s. Yet they had saved a lot, somewhere around 500k, back in '98. They had a plan for retirement (which they have since executed, of course), helping kids get through college, the whole deal.

Just a great "how to do it" article with no hidden agenda of "whoa is me." Oh wait, there was an agenda. LBYM. Let's not discuss that, it is dangerous.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I was researching rents for one of the kids in a college town in Northern California - $700 a month for a small 2 bedroom house, scenic area with low cost college amenities and presumably a plentiful supply of Uber drivers. With a roommate that would be $350 for rent, with Medicaid or Medicare for healthcare, maybe a garden plus food stamps, maybe low income utility assistance, a Tracphone, free outdoor activities and low cost college events, some online or part-time income - I would rather live like that than be getting sore from working long hours in a warehouse all day. Or there is a youtube guy with videos on how to live cheaply in a self built solar cabin. That would be an even lower cost option with the right piece of land.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure I am seeing the scandal here. Seasonal work at well above minimum wage. Workers flocking to take the jobs, voluntarily. They no doubt do so because it meets their needs better than whatever their backup plan was.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Not sure I am seeing the scandal here. Seasonal work at well above minimum wage. Workers flocking to take the jobs, voluntarily. They no doubt do so because it meets their needs better than whatever their backup plan was.
I agree. UPS and other year end high demand companies do the same; hire temp workers to handle the barrage of new orders and details. Even the Malls do this with retail stores. Both my daughters worked at Macy's over the holiday periods.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

I agree also. I think the folks profiled feel they have found a solution to their issues. Maybe not an ideal solution or one that would be comfortable for me but given the past mistakes that can't be undone they are making the best of it. Some may feel a healthy sense of pride preventing them from accepting subsidized senior housing. I bet they would be disappointed to find that so many feel sympathy for their response to the situation they find themselves in. Sometimes writers or editors twist a story in a way that the subjects would object to. Most employers would frown on hiring workers with no permanent address so to have an employer embrace their situation is probably very reassuring and better than cleaning toilets like the campground managers.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I know a few people mid 70's that live in low income senior apartments. The place is really nice and has activities like bingo, potlucks that the residents organize. They also have a small room for cards besides their big room for get togethers. Some have cars and some ride bus or take Uber. Some with cars drive their friends around. They are having lots of fun. No one works and I find that a lot better then RV living. After a month in ours I have had it. Plus things just keep breaking in Rv's.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I was reading another article http://https://www.vice.com/en_us/ar...s-0000544-v2n1 and it said that Amazon day shifts earn $10.50 per hr., night shift earns $1.00 more per hr., a free RV parking spot and if you complete the season you get a bonus of a dollar per hr. worked.
In the link above, one woman is crying because the van she is living in leaks on her when it rains. These are the people that I feel sorry for. I don't know if they think it's an adventure or is the only thing open to them. I just can't imagine thinking I'll sell everything I own, buy some old vehicle and drive to temporary job sites all year round and think this is a great idea.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote