Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2017, 06:29 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Plus things just keep breaking in Rv's.
In crappy built commercial RVs. We have been in ours for 1.5 years and not one thing has broken, no leak, no screw loose.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
In crappy built commercial RVs. We have been in ours for 1.5 years and not one thing has broken, no leak, no screw loose.
We (my two friends and I) just got through replacing the entire roof and 4 skylights on the 1994 28' Ford powered RV we keep running. The older ones leak over time when the old sealant dries out and cracks.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We (my two friends and I) just got through replacing the entire roof and 4 skylights on the 1994 28' Ford powered RV we keep running. The older ones leak over time when the old sealant dries out and cracks.
Well, that is a 23 year old RV roof! Some house roofs and windows need repair/caulk after 23 years!
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Well, that is a 23 year old RV roof! Some house roofs and windows need repair/caulk after 23 years!
Agreed, here in Houston a 30 year shingle lasts maybe 15 years at most.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it's a great solution to the problem of getting xmas help and also for seniors that are living in rvs and meed extra income. Let's face it, many stores would not hire people that age, much less people living in rvs. It is certainly sad to see anyone impoverished, but amazon is not to blame.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I was reading another article http://https://www.vice.com/en_us/ar...s-0000544-v2n1 and it said that Amazon day shifts earn $10.50 per hr., night shift earns $1.00 more per hr., a free RV parking spot and if you complete the season you get a bonus of a dollar per hr. worked.
In the link above, one woman is crying because the van she is living in leaks on her when it rains. These are the people that I feel sorry for. I don't know if they think it's an adventure or is the only thing open to them. I just can't imagine thinking I'll sell everything I own, buy some old vehicle and drive to temporary job sites all year round and think this is a great idea.

I don’t think your link worked. This might wok better: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m...s-0000544-v2n1
fidler4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Interesting about the "horror" stories of working for Amazon Workforce. The physical stress, employer provided pain killers, stretching exercises before working, and no benefits (I am guessing since they are temp workers). What struck me was how the media was not running with this story. Can you imagine if Walmart did this? There would be an expose on 60 minutes or some such for taking advantage of seniors. But for some reason, Amazon is the darling of the media-and Walmart, the whipping boy.
Washington Post is owned by Jeff Bezos (or at least his holding company)... That might influence what gets said by the media about his darling Amazon.
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Not my ER: CamperForce
Old 10-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not my ER: CamperForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Interesting about the "horror" stories of working for Amazon Workforce. But for some reason, Amazon is the darling of the media-and Walmart, the whipping boy.

Bezos bought The Washington Post. He gets to set the media agenda.

Edit - oops, late to the party see griffithee above.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:02 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I know this is an old thread but I think the book, Nomadland, is quite interesting while also a tad depressing. I have a friend who is a Nomad, living in a very old class A, spending many nights in Wal Mart parking lots and truck stops. He says it is much harder than he expected. Just fyi - he was in construction until injuries drove him into real estate where he was not very successful. Plus a small Soc Ser check and tries to make that work.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Whenever a WaPo article mentions Amazon, there is always a parenthesis about Bezos owning the Post. That doesn't stop them being biased, of course...it's sort of like the person who says "No offense, but..." and then says something offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post
Washington Post is owned by Jeff Bezos (or at least his holding company)... That might influence what gets said by the media about his darling Amazon.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote