Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2021, 12:26 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you're looking for more manageable/tolerable humidity, I would avoid anything inland, especially a place like New Orleans, Montgomery, Orlando, even Tallahassee (60 miles from the Gulf) is more uncomfortable. The breeze of the bay makes Mobile more tolerable, but that goes away quickly as you move inland.

Get as close to the Gulf/Atlantic as you can where there is a more consistent breeze.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

The NC "High Country", around Blowing Rock, Boone, Linville, & Banner Elk are usually really nice, especially if you're in the woods. Beech Mtn. is the highest town in the East & it never gets hot in the Summer. Many of the homes up there don't even have A/C.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Yes I know. Was just being silly. I wouldn't do it either
I would. If money were no object, I'd have a home on the Maine mid-coast and another in the Florida Keys. I would change station in April and October.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
The NC "High Country", around Blowing Rock, Boone, Linville, & Banner Elk are usually really nice, especially if you're in the woods. Beech Mtn. is the highest town in the East & it never gets hot in the Summer. Many of the homes up there don't even have A/C.
Agree. I spend my summers in the Banner Elk area of the NC mountains at 5000 feet elevation. We have no AC. No humidity, highs normal in the 70s, a great place. Now in the winter you get snow there so I spend the winter in Chapel Hill, NC in the middle of the state where there is little snow. The best of the weather--NC mountains in the summer and the middle of the NC (or the NC or SC coast) in the winter.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Heck, I've lived in SE PA all my life and I'm still not used to the humidity. And, the older we get, the more intolerable it becomes.
Deej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My sister also spends her Summers in Banner-Elk, and she has no desire to return to her main home in a big, hot city. With a private airport, a fantastic Jack Nicklaus golf course, she thinks she's in heaven. The elevation brings low humidities and they're 10 degrees cooler too.

There are also a number of mountain communities like Highlands-Cashiers, NC, Hiawassee, GA and others in the NE GA Blue Ridge Mountains. We keep a RV in Helen, GA @ 4500' elevation.

I'm sorry that you chose to visit hot, humid places like Montgomery AL and New Orleans/Mobile. They're not the nicest of societies either. Many of the more livable places in the south are the university towns. Almost every big city in the region has a big, beautiful residential lake close by that are great places to retire to.

We returned from visiting national parks in UT, AZ and NV last week. We couldn't believe the cost of living since we had two grandkids eating our pocketbooks. The lack of humidity was nice, but we were glad to get back to the Affordable South.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My sister also spends her Summers in Banner-Elk, and she has no desire to return to her home in a big, hot city. With a private airport, a fantastic Jack Nicklaus golf course, she thinks she's in heaven. The elevation brings low humidities and they're 10 degrees cooler too.

There are also a number of mountain communities like Highlands-Cashiers, NC, Hiawassee, GA and othes in the NE GA Blue Ridge Mountains.

I'm sorry that you chose to visit hot, humid places like New Orleans.
Bamaman, I know your sister's resort--it is a wonderful place. For folks looking at the NC mountains and hoping to avoid heat and humidity, be sure you look at the elevation. The higher the elevation the cooler and less humidity. For example where I and Bamaman's sister spend our summers the elevation is about 4500 to 5000 feet, very cool and low humidity. On the other hand Asheville is at a lower altitude (about 2200 feet) and it is much hotter and more humid in the summer.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #28

I think in some ways it depends on your personality and your adaptability. In my experience you do get used to humidity but the things people seem to love to complain about are weather and traffic. True most everywhere.

I know we liked the weather in Scottsdale but people complained about the heat. We ate outside in 95 degree weather. We also got chilled after leaving the pool in 90 degree weather. The humidity thing cuts both ways!

It is a given that east will be more humid than west and south more than north but also there are lots of different climates.

Heat also matters. I think last in checked summer humidity was higher here in Nova than in Dallas, but temps also lower. It pays to investigate weather trends in individual locations you are considering, in my view.

But if your hate humidity, finding a warm ocean will be a challenge. And those warm oceans come with hurricane risk. Mixed bag.

That's one reason we remain in the mid-Atlantic. Not that hot, not that cold. We have humidity but it is usually tolerable. And we are pretty adaptable.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #29

If money were no object, we would probably live exactly where we are at the moment. Just a tick closer to the ocean.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #30

Not everyone gets used to, or acclimates to the humidity. I lived in Philly for about a decade, and hubby's family had a Jersey shore house that we visited, even after I dragged him to my home town of San Diego.

I never got used to the humidity. I got used to the snow. But not the humid summers. I avoided going outside before 7ish in the evening if I could help it. I went from home to work in my AC car... and did not linger outside. No al-fresco dining. No gardening before dusk. Weekends were spent watching movies on video or at airconditioned theaters. Even at the shore, it was humid unless you were in the actual ocean. The family shore house had no AC and was miserable.

I have asked my husband several times what it was like growing up in Philly before air conditioners were common. He described hanging out in the basement lying on the concrete to get cool. Or laying in the bathtub in wet clothes hoping to get evaporative cooling. It doesn't sound fun.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

No avoiding humidity in the SE! If you are fortunate enough to be very close to the $hore, the sea breeze is pretty reliable and makes being outside relatively comfortable but it's still humid (even more so). I hate the humidity but you do acclimate and, at least in SWFL, get about 5-7 months of wonderful weather depending on the year!
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The worst humidity I ever experienced was during a summer heat wave in Iowa. It was 97%, still, and unbearable outside. I finally decided that a lot of the humidity was coming from all the corn fields around us. We weren’t that far from the Mississippi River either.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:42 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Not everyone gets used to, or acclimates to the humidity. I lived in Philly for about a decade, and hubby's family had a Jersey shore house that we visited, even after I dragged him to my home town of San Diego.

I never got used to the humidity. I got used to the snow. But not the humid summers. I avoided going outside before 7ish in the evening if I could help it. I went from home to work in my AC car... and did not linger outside. No al-fresco dining. No gardening before dusk. Weekends were spent watching movies on video or at airconditioned theaters. Even at the shore, it was humid unless you were in the actual ocean. The family shore house had no AC and was miserable.

I have asked my husband several times what it was like growing up in Philly before air conditioners were common. He described hanging out in the basement lying on the concrete to get cool. Or laying in the bathtub in wet clothes hoping to get evaporative cooling. It doesn't sound fun.
Basements were the place to be when there was a Northern heat wave or someone turning on the fire hydrant.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:44 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

It depends how tolerant one is of the heat/humidity.
We are fine in FLA with all the weather.
I don't change one thing that I do when it is 90+ outside.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I gave up cutting the grass, landscaping . One time I felt a little dizzy so I jumped into the community pool in our subdivision. I thought I was having a mini heat stroke. 90+ degrees and I'm not doing anything strenuous outside. I pay someone else to do it.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

+1.

Summer yard work, one hour bike rides, hours fishing (donít ever get in the water 20 miles offshore), all good. Never had a problem spending all day at IMS going to August NASCAR races either.

Itís been easier for me to stay hydrated in FL in the summer than it was to keep from overheating in Phoenix.

Yeah, those are two extremes on a continuum of summer misery.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:34 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I do everything too, I just complain about the heat index while I do it... and change clothes multiple times a day!

FLSunFIRE
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #38

We just returned from the US Virgin Islands. Very HCOL but the weather is amazing! Highs in the mid to high 80ís, lows in the mid to high 70ís, breeze virtually constant, and nice warm ocean.

However they have catastrophic hurricanes - donít think you can have warm oceans without hurricane risk. And it is even more expensive than many places in California.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:47 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Bamaman, I know your sister's resort--it is a wonderful place. For folks looking at the NC mountains and hoping to avoid heat and humidity, be sure you look at the elevation. The higher the elevation the cooler and less humidity. For example where I and Bamaman's sister spend our summers the elevation is about 4500 to 5000 feet, very cool and low humidity. On the other hand Asheville is at a lower altitude (about 2200 feet) and it is much hotter and more humid in the summer.

While the elevation is important, I've found that in the "high country" it's possible to find comfortable places that aren't quite so high if the location has good shade and good breezes. Our place is in Sugar Grove, within sight of Beech Mtn., but only at about 2900'. It's on a lower ridge that's only about 300' above the valley but in the trees. We have views to the East & the West and the breezes flow nicely.

Even in the higher elevations, it's still important to have shade and a good breeze.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:14 AM   #40

Quote:
While the elevation is important, I've found that in the "high country" it's possible to find comfortable places that aren't quite so high if the location has good shade and good breezes. Our place is in Sugar Grove, within sight of Beech Mtn., but only at about 2900'. It's on a lower ridge that's only about 300' above the valley but in the trees. We have views to the East & the West and the breezes flow nicely.

Even in the higher elevations, it's still important to have shade and a good breeze.
Where I am near the top of Sugar Mountain at 5000 feet it is cool all summer--no shade or breeze needed.