Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2021, 06:08 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Where I am near the top of Sugar Mountain at 5000 feet it is cool all summer--no shade or breeze needed.
In the Boone/Blowing Rock area, it got down to 53 last night. Expecting a heat wave of 75 today. Might have to open the windows to cool off the house.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
The NC "High Country", around Blowing Rock, Boone, Linville, & Banner Elk are usually really nice, especially if you're in the woods. Beech Mtn. is the highest town in the East & it never gets hot in the Summer. Many of the homes up there don't even have A/C.

What’s winter like at these elevations
Old 06-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
In the Boone/Blowing Rock area, it got down to 53 last night. Expecting a heat wave of 75 today. Might have to open the windows to cool off the house.

Nice. I love cool dry breezy air. Had 45 deg this morning here in NH and it is a perfect blue sky, cool refreshing morning for walking the dog etc. Course there was this guy at the bird feeders delaying our departure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VID_20210617_072947792_exported_42099.jpg (312.7 KB, 68 views)
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:25 AM   #44

That’s why the south invented porches, rocking chairs and ice tea. I wouldn’t call it getting used to it but rather leaning into it.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Can be cold and snowy in the winter, in fact my house is located in a snow ski area. I don't use my house in the winter, I just go up usually May-Oct, this year not going up until July due to DH's knee replacement surgery.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

It is OK with me if folks do not like the heat & Humidity or cannot acclimatize as we and many others have. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far between. Based on the migration South numbers that are thrown around here in Fla.. The more folks that dislike it the better, please stay home, the weather is Brutal here.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
It is OK with me if folks do not like the heat & Humidity or cannot acclimatize as we and many others have. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far between. Based on the migration South numbers that are thrown around here in Fla.. The more folks that dislike it the better, please stay home, the weather is Brutal here.

Well I'm one of the few and far between. So I will help your cause slightly by staying in NH
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

If you give up the oceans request, then Asheville, NC is a great spot with much cooler temps and lower humidity.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you end up going inland for escaping the humidity, you might even consider staying out west if you have friends/family out there. While not as cheap as the south, it's much cheaper than the coastal west. Its gotten a lot more expensive post-pandemic, but Reno-Tahoe area is relatively affordable. No income taxes on the NV side and if you have a low AGI in retirement, CA income taxes aren't that bad since they're progressive. You can still stay close to the coast in the portland suburbs on WA side have no income tax as well.

On the Atlantic side, you'll have to go north at least to the VA/MD/DE coasts before humidity starts to drop, and it's still fairly high in the summer. Perhaps, Norfolk, VA?
figuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Tampa Bay
Old 06-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheCheapos View Post
So I visited the south to scout retirement areas: i) Florida Atlantic side, ii) Savannah Georgia, iii) Montgomery AL and iv) New Orleans/Mobile.

Coming from Northern CA there is a lot to like:

a) Access to *warm* oceans
b) Much cheaper cost of living in terms of homes etc.
c) Lower taxes
d) More compact so easy to drive to a new city

But the humidity, it killed me and its only early June! Not only did it zap me of energy but it was relentless from 9am to 7pm.

Are there any places in the South which have all the benefits listed above but which are known to be much less humid?
How far up the east coast do you need to go to get less humid or do you have to go inland?
Not really. My wife and retired two years ago and moved to Tampa Bay. we love it, but the humidity is crushing. Maybe western North Carolina or West Virginia will suit you.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
If you give up the oceans request, then Asheville, NC is a great spot with much cooler temps and lower humidity.
I think Asheville can get pretty hot and humid in the summer. It is only at about 2300 feet elevation. In my opinion to get really cool and low humidity you need to be close to 5000 feet elevation. I spend the summer in Banner Elk NC at 5000 feet, wonderful cool summer.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
It is snow and at times lots of it. It is a skiers paradise. The Winter Park, FL ski group likes going to NC to ski.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:26 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by figuy1 View Post
Perhaps, Norfolk, VA?
Nope. Very muggy in Norfolk.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I think Asheville can get pretty hot and humid in the summer. It is only at about 2300 feet elevation. In my opinion to get really cool and low humidity you need to be close to 5000 feet elevation. I spend the summer in Banner Elk NC at 5000 feet, wonderful cool summer.
Asheville can be pretty brutal humidity wise and they have little wind. We used to spend a lot of weekends there when we lived in ATL and decided after a couple of trips in the summer that we wouldn't visit in Jun/Jul/Aug because it could be so hot and humid. As an example...today it's quite pleasant (77 right now) but tomorrow's forecast heat index is 96 degrees.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
No not really you really do get used to it. You wear a lot less clothes for a start. Depends what you mean by outside. We live walking distance to the beach and once you are at the beach there are no humidity issues in general. Again, being near the beach there is always a breeze of some sort, except on rare occasions.
I've lived in multiple spots in the VA/DC/MD corridor, FL, NC, TN, KY, AL & Cali (NorCal & SoCal); plus lots of flyover spots in between. I agree with the general characterization of weather in the posts above. The one 'surprising' exception I've experienced is what ShokWave describes above. Beachfront weather on the northern half of the FL east coast is very nice. There's usually an easterly breeze, it's less humid than even 500 yds inland and, together that makes it seems 8-10 degrees cooler and much less humid. Plus, if you're balcony is direct oceanfront and 6th floor or higher, no bugs!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheCheapos View Post
Are there any places in the South which have all the benefits listed above but which are known to be much less humid?
How far up the east coast do you need to go to get less humid or do you have to go inland?
We just flew back from our condo in South East Florida. It was really humid and we are on the intra-coastal with about a 12 minute walk to the ocean. The humidity gets worse the further inland you travel. It gets much worse in July and August. The only escape from the humidity is inside your air conditioned home/condo. October through May is okay. The people we know that live in South East Florida travel during the months of June through August.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
We just flew back from our condo in South East Florida. It was really humid and we are on the intra-coastal with about a 12 minute walk to the ocean. The humidity gets worse the further inland you travel. It gets much worse in July and August. The only escape from the humidity is inside your air conditioned home/condo. October through May is okay. The people we know that live in South East Florida travel during the months of June through August.
Yes, all those Florida people come to the high mountains of North Carolina in July and August. When I am at my house in Banner Elk, NC in July and August there are more cars with Florida license plates than with NC license plates. That's OK so long as they bring a lot of money to spend.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Plus, if you're balcony is direct oceanfront and 6th floor or higher, no bugs!
Agree... We are on the 16th floor facing the intra-coastal and ocean (we have views of both) and there are no bugs up but there are lots of birds (parrots).
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I spent 3/4’s of my life in humidity and never got used to it. I can deal with cold much better. Now on the west coast for 24 years and love the low humidity.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

ms gamboolgal and I was born and raised in hot & humid East Texas, then lived all along the Gulf Coast and finally did 18 years in Sub Sahara Africa for the last part of my working career.

Heat and humidity is not all that bad.....just depends.....

And don't mention Cold Weather. We are Stove Up when the temperature gets in the 60's ha !

We will take the heat and humidity vs the low humidity and cold weather.....

King... Sounds like you ought to stay North of I-10 for sure
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote