Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2021, 04:25 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Well, I must admit that I have never lived in Florida, so my observations are not foolproof. However, back in my professional days, I HAVE, visited the Miami area on many occasions during Autumn, Winter and Spring, and I always found it sticky and warm/hot. Even during December or January visits. May have just been coincidence.
Perhaps a coincidence.
I don't think the many Florida residents on this site would classify Dec/Jan as "sticky".
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 05:12 AM   #102
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Well, I must admit that I have never lived in Florida, so my observations are not foolproof. However, back in my professional days, I HAVE, visited the Miami area on many occasions during Autumn, Winter and Spring, and I always found it sticky and warm/hot. Even during December or January visits. May have just been coincidence.
The Miami humidity is definitely different from the humidity of Central and for sure North FL . What sticks out is when you wake up in the AM then step outside in Miami.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
S. Fla.

You get used to it, by acclimatizing and adapting, but it takes decades. And even then, no you do not simply go for a run at 1pm in July.

It depends on the person. I am uncomfortable in humidity. I have never and will never “get used to it”. I have lived the last 40 years in a humid summer location. I still hate it and sweat just as much as year 1.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Also don't forget East Tennessee, Northeast Georgia Mountains and Northwest South Carolina. They have the same weather and major mountains too.
+1

I'm a big fan of East TN and NW SC, both of which are more tax friendly than NC.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
+1

I'm a big fan of East TN and NW SC, both of which are more tax friendly than NC.
But neither of those areas are very cool in the summer. Neither area has very high elevation. In my opinion for cool summer weather with less humidity in the southeast you need to be at a high elevation--at least 4000 feet elevation. From my summer place at Sugar Mountain near Banner Elk (5000 elevation) I occasionally drive to Johnson City TN (2000 feet elevation). It will be very comfortable in Banner Elk, mid 70s but close to 90 degrees in Johnson City TN.

The OP's question was about cool less humid areas. East TN and NW SC are not cool in the summer.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
It depends on the person. I am uncomfortable in humidity. I have never and will never “get used to it”. I have lived the last 40 years in a humid summer location. I still hate it and sweat just as much as year 1.
That is the key. It depends on the person.
We will play Pickleball and the last hour typically has a heat index of close to 100.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat View Post
I drove 40 from Barstow to Memphis a couple years ago and remember thinking Oklahoma east was so green!
There is a distinct difference in western and eastern Oklahoma...basically two totally different climates/geography. It's divided basically in the middle (where eastern OKC can have wildly different weather than western OKC) and is called the Cross Timbers. We are on the eastern side of OKC and we have hills, trees, and well...looks very much north Georgia with the exception that the trees aren't nearly as tall.

Speaking of humidity, here is the current dewpoints and heat index. Miserable. Terrible. Nasty. Just as bad as south Florida right now...but no breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
A good tool is weather-and-climate.com, where they have annual and monthly humidity ings for specific locations.

You will not find anywhere in the east or south with super low humidity, but differences especially combined with temperature differences do vary quite a bit.

I think this is more useful than anecdotes.

Except "relative humidity" doesn't tell us a whole lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dew.jpg (167.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg HI.jpg (184.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #108

might want to look at central Mexico:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Plateau

plenty of beach dwellers (Acapulco, etc.) move over to their second homes up there for the summer to get away from the heat.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #109

Quote:
A good tool is weather-and-climate.com, where they have annual and monthly humidity ings for specific locations.

You will not find anywhere in the east or south with super low humidity, but differences especially combined with temperature differences do vary quite a bit.

I think this is more useful than anecdotes.

The problem is that they only show average humidity, which includes night and skews the numbers a lot. Might be good for comparison but not actual day numbers that anyone cares about like when it gets hot in the afternoon.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
There is a distinct difference in western and eastern Oklahoma...basically two totally different climates/geography. It's divided basically in the middle (where eastern OKC can have wildly different weather than western OKC) and is called the Cross Timbers. We are on the eastern side of OKC and we have hills, trees, and well...looks very much north Georgia with the exception that the trees aren't nearly as tall.

Speaking of humidity, here is the current dewpoints and heat index. Miserable. Terrible. Nasty. Just as bad as south Florida right now...but no breeze.

Except "relative humidity" doesn't tell us a whole lot.
Many if not most folks find relative humidity useful. But please direct us to your favorite sites which track average dew point by location, that could advance the discussion.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #111

Quote:
Many if not most folks find relative humidity useful. But please direct us to your favorite sites which track average dew point by location, that could advance the discussion.

Weatherspark.com uses dew point:

Quote:
Humidity
We base the humidity comfort level on the dew point, as it determines whether perspiration will evaporate from the skin, thereby cooling the body. Lower dew points feel drier and higher dew points feel more humid. Unlike temperature, which typically varies significantly between night and day, dew point tends to change more slowly, so while the temperature may drop at night, a muggy day is typically followed by a muggy night.
I swear by dew point as well.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #112

Sounds like I’m not missing anything, the SE is humid. No surprise. Just wish I could enjoy humidity, since so many places in the SE are lower COL compared to the SW.

Ended up in SE AZ to avoid cloudiness and humidity. It can be crazy hot, of course, but , surprisingly I don’t mind the heat so much because I can hid in the AC for the worst of it. Payoff is blue skies and amazing winters. Did I say no humidity?? [emoji41]
Old 06-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #113

I’ve lived in the South all my life, places like Vidalia Ga, Birmingham, Ft. Worth, Little Rock, Oak Ridge TN, Richmond, Atlanta, now Roanoke, and extended business trips to Florida, Maryland, and I forget where else. You never get used to the hot and humility. DC is one of the worst.

When I first read the title of this thread I thought, “yeah, that’s where the unicorns live.”
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I’ve lived in the South all my life, places like Vidalia Ga, Birmingham, Ft. Worth, Little Rock, Oak Ridge TN, Richmond, Atlanta, now Roanoke, and extended business trips to Florida, Maryland, and I forget where else. You never get used to the hot and humility. DC is one of the worst.

When I first read the title of this thread I thought, “yeah, that’s where the unicorns live.”
I have heard people from here say DC is particularly bad. Having lived here in Northern VA and in Texas, I have to disagree. It seems pretty mild to me.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #115

Quote:
I have heard people from here say DC is particularly bad.
In so many ways.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
In so many ways.
Yes, especially recently.

Every day you are faced with gut-wrenching choices: mountains, beach, museums or monuments?

Today I chose to run the river but it was brutal having to choose.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post

+1

Yep, that is what I thought too. Unicorns…

At least I don’t seem to be missing anything.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, especially recently.

Every day you are faced with gut-wrenching choices: mountains, beach, museums or monuments?

Today I chose to run the river but it was brutal having to choose.
How recent?
2016-2020?
Old 06-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
I have heard people from here say DC is particularly bad. Having lived here in Northern VA and in Texas, it seems pretty mild to me.
Only bad thing is the infamous DC,NoVA traffic. When I asked when does rush hour traffic start in the AM while visiting, the front desk clerk told me - 530am.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #120
Administrator

If you guys would just live in Connecticut like civilized human beings, you wouldn't have all this agita.