Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm so sorry for your loss. Take things easy and only focus on the things that must be done. You need time to deal with all that has come your way in such a short time.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry you are going through this.

I hope this doesn't seem too mundane to mention at such a time, but don't worry about the insurance. Worst case scenario, you have a 60 day window (I think it is from when your coverage ends, but may be from your termination date) to sign up for COBRA. You can sign up for COBRA retroactively if you develop a medical condition and need treatment during that period. And if you are in a state that has a health insurance exchange, you also have that same 60 day window to apply for coverage through the exchange.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Lisa, my condolences. I am so glad that you were able to spend some time with your father as his time drew near. You are strong and will get through this difficult time; things will get better.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

My condolences, Lisa. You have a lot on your plate right now. Remember to take care of yourself during this difficult time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #25

I am so glad you were able to be there, and spend time with your dad at the end. I had that same experience, and it is priceless. I am so sorry for your loss. How is your mom holding up? Spend time with her and just try to breathe... The end of job stuff will still be there when next week...

A friend gave me very good advice when my mom died - she'd lost both parents and had gotten frustrated with people having expecations of how she was supposed to feel and/or show her feelings. Grieve in your own way - if it means crying, cry. If it means going into overdrive organizing affairs do that. Only YOU know how to deal with the loss and when to cry. Don't let others impose their expectations or judgements if you don't look sad enough, or too sad.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

My sympathies on the loss of you parent, but glad you could get there in time to be with family.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lisa, so sorry for your horrible day the other day. I'm glad you got to see him off... I didn't get that chance with my Dad and I wish I had. One thing at a time.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Lisa sorry to hear about your loss. Please accept our heartfelt condolences.
Losing a parent is very painful but thank God you got to spend time with him during his last hours. May almighty give you strength as you grieve.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #29

Sorry to hear of you loss of your father. It is never easy, but time helps. Concentrate on the funeral and being there for your mother. It is always whirlwind of activity for that first week after a death. I know, been through it with both of mine. Especially with my mother who died very unexpectedly, my sister put it best: it was like planning a wedding for 300 plus people in less than a week, but you don't have any idea how many folks are actually going to show up. In our case it was near 500 for the memorial service. We did not have time to really grieve and realize the while situation until the following week or two. I imagine for you it will be similar since like myself, you are out of state to deal with everything. That makes it more difficult right away.

I know you actually volunteered for the layoff, and even though you know it was coming, it is still stressful in itself. Keep the health ins with the COBRA for now, and you can deal with other options once you get back to home and have had time to settle back to a bit more normal. Your boss knows you are not available right now, and those employer paperwork and leaving employment paperwork can wait.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #30

{{{{{{{ Lisa }}}}}}}. Godspeed.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:51 PM   #31

My condolences, Lisa. You are having many stressful events. Take care of yourself. Be good to yourself.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:26 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

~1⋅11~1⋅11~1⋅11~
Rest in Peace
~1⋅11~1⋅11~1⋅11~

Take care, and good fortune to you...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Novel (unwanted) way to avoid retirement goodbyes
Old 01-14-2016, 04:40 AM   #33

Novel (unwanted) way to avoid retirement goodbyes

When you think of your Dad focus on the good times you shared together..
A friend shared this thought when DW lost her Mom. "It will always hurt but I promise in time it will get better."

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:03 AM   #34

I am so sorry. My brother was able to be with our dad when he passed away. It was a comfort to all of us.

It is hard to get one's mind wrapped around it.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #35

So sorry Lisa. Please take care of yourself.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #36

sorry for your loss. I lost my dad one year after college graduation and my mom when I was 41. Things happened so fast it was impossible to get there to be with them. I'm thankful you had the opportunity to be with him at the end... even as hard as it must have been.

I think you mentioned "finding insurance" as a short term task. I would assume you have your companies insurance through the end of the month. If you want insurance through the exchange, I believe you have a day or two to get it sorted so it starts Feb 1. Cobra is is another option that will give you time to get the paperwork in and will back date to the end of your company insurance. The catch... you won't be able to change it without a special enrollment event until the next open enrollment (next year). The other is off exchange (direct) insurance... not sure how timely they are at getting insurance instantiate.
Take some time to appreciate the times you had with your family/father.

Pax
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Deepest condolences...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #38

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and the wonderful words of condolence. I'm leaving the insurance to deal with next week.

I think I'm doing ok then I find myself in a room without knowing why I'm there or what I came in to do. My husband is getting into town this afternoon and I'm so looking forward to a huge hug from him.

One day at a time...(actually one hour at a time right now)
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #39

Oh, Lisa. Take it one thing at a time, although you're dealing with two huge events all at once. I'm glad you knew to expect the layoff.

Losing a parent is something you can't be prepared for. Having your husband there will be helpful, even if it's just to help you figure out why you came into the room.

Big {{{hugs}}}.