Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's a pretty remarkable day when I wear something other than a T-shirt, Levis and running shoes. Maybe a T-shirt and shorts if it gets hot, throw on a fleece if it gets cold. The above is literally about 350 days a year. I still have some old button down shirts and "nicer" khakis from work that I'll put on for a fancier meal out. I've only broken the suit out for funerals.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #22

Pretty much all year round I wear jeans. Flannel shirts in the winter, pullover shirts with a pocket, collar, and a couple of buttons in the summer, and sneakers.

For the occasional wedding or funeral I'll dust off a suit but that's about it.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shorts, golf shirts and T-shirts during the warm season which is the majority of the time. Jeans, wind pants, pullovers shirts and casual dress shirts during the winter. I have a couple of suits, sports coat and dress pants if I'm forced to dress up. I buy very little now days. Broke down and bought a new pair of tennis shoes yesterday tho.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I've kinda reverted to my military days when I 'broke starch' once a week. (Breaking starch is a term used when putting on a clean uniform from the cleaners where they overstarch to keep the crease sharp for days.)
I've done something similar and reverted to uniforms.

Summer uniform: shorts + t-shirt or polo
Winter uniform: jeans + flannel shirt. Fleece layer optional
Old 03-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

I wear gym wear during most days .Yoga pants and nylon shirts but we have an active social life so I have a wardrobe of casual outfits and sundresses that I wear several nights a week with nice sandals .In winter I add a some jeans or long pants , sweaters and flats.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

We went to a wedding last Saturday evening. DW said I should wear a sport coat with a white shirt and a tie. I probably have 50 ties and a few suits/sport jackets.

BUT I COULD NOT REMEMBER HOW TO TIE THE TIE!!

Now it's extremely casual, or as DW says, "I dress like a homeless person"...
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Jeans, cargo hiking pants or shorts
T-shirt and / or flannel shirt
Running shoes, hiking shoes/ boots
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #28

shorts and t-shirts
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:31 AM   #29

So CA has been so chilly that I’ve been wearing long underwear under my clothes. My usual winter outfit is yoga pants and a nylon workout shirt. Summer is bike or gym shorts with a cotton tank top. These outfits are for the house, the gym, or running errands.

For social occasions, jeans or black slacks with a cute top in the winter, sundress or nice shorts with a cute top for summer. Tennis shoes or boots in winter, flip flops or Teva Tirra sandals in summer.

For business events at the local university, I wear black slacks with a top and jacket, a nice businesslike dress, or a suit. I got rid of most of my former work clothes but kept some favorites for this purpose.

I spent a lot on clothes the first year of ER, as I needed a new shoe and casual clothes selection. Less now that I have most needs covered.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:43 AM   #30

Very infrequently I'll wear jeans or casual pants. Mostly well worn cargo shorts and a lightweight button shirt. Never did like t-shirts, in our warm/hot humid climate I sweat easily and find the t's just get damp and clingy. The cotton/poplin shirts dry quicker and don't cling.
BTW most of my clothes are bought on sale. Just bought 2 nice pair of jeans from Cabelas for $15 each.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:02 AM   #31
gone traveling

In Florida year round, sweats and a t shirt. Hoodie maybe a few times in Jan and Feb. My PJ pants I wear to the store. It's hard to tell it's PJ. I don't miss dry cleaning and ironing shirts. And also a hat. The FL sun is intense. When I'm outside even in the brutal heat I wear long pants and a long sleeve 'LL bean cotton shirt. The bugs and the snakes are everywhere and one rattler crawled up my leg when I was near the palm trees by the side of my home. I screamed like a little girl.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I wore suits every day to work but dressed casually (usually jeans or shorts) evenings and weekends. In retirement it is casual all the time with very little clothes expenses. I upgrade to "business casual" for dinners at high end restaurants. I lost 35 pounds a few years after RE so I ended up giving my work suits to Goodwill. I bought one nice dark gray suit for weddings and funerals.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Short/Henley's Long Sleeve/Flip Flops when at home and running around town.

Boots/Jeans/Tee and Henley's Long Sleeve when at the ranch.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:02 AM   #34

I have 6 custom suits that I paid about $2000 each, I'm 6'5" and weigh 230#. I wear a size 14 or 15 shoe. I have never been able to buy anything off the rack, and I probably wouldn't even if could. I wear flannel and jeans during the winter/fall and shorts/tees/golf shirts in summer. I wear my old mine clothes (jeans, blue workshirt with yellow glow stripes) when working around house or my properties.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Summer: gym shorts, t-tshirts
Winter: jeans, flannel shirts

I sometimes wear a dress shirt with my jeans when going out somewhere, only because I still have a closet full of them.

Last year I spent a total of $68.97 on clothing.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #36
gone traveling

During the Winter, I am usually in a pair of Wrangler jeans, a long sleeved "T", and a pullover sweatshirt with socks, and slip on shoes (trying to stay warm). During the Summer, I wear as little as possible, usually just a pair of shorts, or swimsuit, and bare footed most of the time.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

During the winter basically jeans, long sleeved shirt, jacket if necessary and some hikers for shoes. For warmer weather - shorts, a short sleeved shirt (polo or Hawaiian), and topsiders.

I think I kept 3 suits, a couple of sport coats and a few pairs of slacks, but frankly I have not worn any of them since December or before. Unless there is a wedding or funeral I don’t foresee wearing them...
Old 03-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Now it's extremely casual, or as DW says, "I dress like a homeless person"...
Ha Ha, I get that too.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #39

My DD can’t stand my winter at home uniform of plaid pj pants with a different plaid long sleeve flannel shirt. I couldn’t care less what I look like at home and I love cotton. I have a few outfits for weddings or funerals and an occasional visit to church. Other than that jeans or cargo shorts and flannel shirt, sweat shirt, golf shirt or t-shirt depending on weather and what I’m doing.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #40
gone traveling

Noticed that by dressing too casual I don't get the same type of waiter service than the other guy who dressed up at the restaurant. Maybe the waiter thinks I won't tip well. But I still will give the customary 15% if service is good.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote