Occupation on Tax Return

milford

Recycles dryer sheets
For those of you who have FIRE'd I am curious what you put as your occupation? I am sort of conflicted on what to put.... I decided to lean FIRE based on 4% withdrawal rate so I can't decide if I should put down I am an "investor", "retired", "self-employed", etc.... and does this matter at all ?

I retired on 12/31/20.

I'm going to put "retired bum" on my tax returns from now on. :D

We put retired as soon as we stopped working. Unemployed would be another option.

It’s obvious that you no longer have W2 income.

And self-employed means you get to pay FICA taxes, but it will be obvious that you don’t have “profit” from a business if all your income is from investments, pension and/or SS.

I figure the "R" stands for "Retired." The F, I and E are just modifiers. So I just put down plain, old, boring "Retired."

But... I kinda like the idea of messing with the IRS a bit. What happens if I follow Calico's lead and put down something humorous?

I put "retired". Why be cute? Besides, it is a quick and easy signal to them that they do not need to look for W-2s for you.

For those of you who have FIRE'd I am curious what you put as your occupation? I am sort of conflicted on what to put.... I decided to lean FIRE based on 4% withdrawal rate so I can't decide if I should put down I am an "investor", "retired", "self-employed", etc.... and does this matter at all ?

What’s the issue? I simply put “Retired”.

Put "retired". Just the title sounds passive and should not conceivably raise any audit red flags with IRS. Whereas investor, self-employed, or similar titles are too "active" sounding, and might conceivably raise audit red flags if IRS doesn't see the rest of the tax return as "jibing" with that active title.

Put "retired". Just the title sounds passive and should not conceivably raise any audit red flags with IRS. Whereas investor, self-employed, or similar titles are too "active" sounding, and might conceivably raise audit red flags if IRS doesn't see the rest of the tax return as "jibing" with that active title.

I was thinking that also.

I was glad to put "Retired" onto the first post-FIRE tax return I filed in 2009 (2008 year).

"None" would be good too.

I always put "Retired Oceanographer" on my tax forms. But I don't recall having to specify that, lately. Maybe TurboTax retains that information for me.

I just put "retired" in the blank. No need to write in a past occupation, I seriously doubt that anyone cares what I used to do.

Philanthropist.

After all, I give them a lot of money every year!

I put "retired". Why be cute? Besides, it is a quick and easy signal to them that they do not need to look for W-2s for you.
+1.

So, not retired, but I so desire to write my occupation as "Lava Lamp Repairman" "person, if that offends" at some day....

simply 'retired'. not complicated.

I left mine "Engineer". Never changed it 40 years. Just because I don't get a W2 doesn't mean I stopped being one, right? Must one be paid to call it an occupation?

I left mine "Engineer". Never changed it 40 years. Just because I don't get a W2 doesn't mean I stopped being one, right? Must one be paid to call it an occupation?

Well...occupation is traditionally defined as, "a job or profession" and a profession is defined as, "a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification." A job is defined as, "a paid position of regular employment." So my vote would be yes, payment is required. :D

I did a quick search to see how the IRS has defined occupation and couldn't come up with a quick answer. I am sure it is buried in the thousands of pages that make up the IRS code.

Personally, I was quite happy to put "Retired" on my tax returns for the last several years.

I use “retired” even though I have some self-employment income declared on the return. It reflects why there are no W-2 forms.

Back
Top Bottom