Off Season travel

Texas sarge

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi, this is my first post although I have been reading the forums for a couple of years now. I am planning on retiring next May at age 52. My wife and I would like to travel for a year or possibly 2 if it all works out. We had considered RVing but decided to pass due to initial investment, maintenance and all other costs involved. I have checked into monthly rentals (mostly condos) in the off season, like Florida in the winter and Colorado in the summer. So far I have seen a couple of places (we have personally visited) for about $1300/month including cable and internet. This is very doable on our budget. Has anyone else done anything like this? If so do you have any good places to visit? We would not have permanent residence during this time. thanks

(mostly condos) in the off season, like Florida in the winter and Colorado in the summer.

Florida's high season is Jan. thru April . The shoulder season of Nov. & Dec. or end of April thru June offer great bargains and the weather is nicer .

Yes, the Florida panhandle (Panama City Beach) has off season rates from November to Spring break. Beachfront condos, warm weather is the high season there. Ski season is high season in Colorado.

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable not have *any* permanent residence, but that's me. We are a couple of years away from being able to try this, but I'm thinking about it on a limited scale -- maybe renting something for a month or so as an extended vacation base, while exploring the surrounding area. I think you could easily do it as long as you could find the next "base" at an affordable rate.

We've always traveled the shoulder or off seasons -- my DH does not like traffic or crowds, so we stay home in the summer and plan our trips for mid-late fall and spring. We get great rates on hotels (love Priceline) and have had some wonderful experiences. One of our favorite memories was walking through Walnut Canyon National Monument outside of Flagstaff, AZ in a light snow - we were the only tourists there. I think it helps that we live in moderate climate most of the year, and don't mind some weather with our trips.

Sounds like a good plan. Also, check into renting sub-let apartments during summer months in a university town. Back in college I would see people give 3 months for the price of 1 or 2 months rent. And they come partially furnished. Yes, with college student furniture and belongings. But the college students these days can be rather wealthy (loans, parents' money and all...). Probably likely to get better deals on dining, and it won't be as busy either.

Our local beaches in North Carolina in September after labor day still have nice weather and warm water. October has decent air temps usually, but water starts cooling off. Rates are usually 1/3 of what they are in June-August. I actually like the weather better in September vs. the hotter summer months. And I don't burn as easily. For reference, we booked a nice mid-high end 4 bedroom oceanfront house in Topsail Island NC for $760 total for a week, all included (except bed sheets and food). I saw the "long term rentals" page at the realty site, and they have 4 BR houses renting by the month for $1000-1300 or less off season (maybe not ocean front though, and maybe not shoulder season). Smaller places, still nice, were renting for $800-$1000/month furnished. And off season at NC beaches is October-April roughly speaking.

Yes, the Florida panhandle (Panama City Beach) has off season rates from November to Spring break. Beachfront condos, warm weather is the high season there. Ski season is high season in Colorado.
Ah-hah! That's because the winder in the Florida panhandle can be quite miserable. Rainy, wet and cold - one big rain system after another. We spend some time Jan and Feb one year in the vicinity, and never again!

Audrey

I think one of the huge pluses of retirement is the ability to travel whenever you want and take advantage of off-season rates and also to avail oneself of last minute travel.

Back
Top Bottom