Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Watching everyday - why not? It's such a great event and the very best are doing their very best.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

I saw a story in this morning's paper that contrary to what was expected, viewership is actually up; some people apparently like to watch the events already knowing who won, some people don't check online to see who won, and people who watch the live streaming actually like to watch it again in the evening. It's just a win win win for NBC! And Michael Phelps and Gabby Douglas too.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #63
Administrator

Viewing figures are up Does the average American really prefer to know the result ahead of time otherwise they'll switch to another channel? I guess so otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Sporting events like the Olympics and tennis and soccer world cups etc are shown in the UK by BBC, ITV or SKY, and all have the ability for you to "press the red button on the remote" and see a menu of many concurrent games or events that you can select and switch to. JMy son and I have been following the soccer since NBC have a channel devoted to Olympic games soccer. Up to now it has worked great as we'll record a bunch of games and be sure to avoid seeing any news ahead of time. We'll then watch selected games in reverse order even though they are all pre-recorded by NBC. Today were the 4 quarter final games in the Women's soccer. We've been following the GB and USA teams in particular but have watched many other games. The GB game was shown before the USA game and while we watched the GB v Canada game the USA game was currently recording on the DVR. Even before the game started they announced that the winner would play the USA in the semi final and then told us the results of the other matches as well. At least on Fox Soccer channel they know which games they are showing and in which order, so they don't give you the results of the matches that they are going to show later in the day as they know folks won't watch them if they know the results. (we watch Fox soccer channel a lot during the Premier League season).

Rant over.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Viewing figures are up Does the average American really prefer to know the result ahead of time otherwise they'll switch to another channel? I guess so otherwise they wouldn't do it....
Here's a link to the story about the viewership and the ratings: Olympics: Despite complaints, NBC's ratings soar - chicagotribune.com

Sorry your soccer matches got spoiled .
Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been watching sporadically. Over the past few days, being DVRing the primetime coverage then fast forwarding to the events I'm interested in. Easy to timeshift with a DVR.

I actually lived like a hermit the past few days to hide from news of the results so I could pretend to watch them "Live".
Old 08-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #66
Administrator

I'm amazed by the NBC commentators during the prime time segments. So much better than all the others. They know exactly what to say, how the judges will score, what specific things competitors need to do to get ahead. They must have a sixth sense.

Alan, I saw the GB vs Can match. Very well played, so sorry GBR came in second. Wicked knee to the head of the keeper.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Alan, I saw the GB vs Can match. Very well played, so sorry GBR came in second. Wicked knee to the head of the keeper.
Womens' soccer in the UK is very poorly attended and never televised so to make the last 8 was a fantastic achievement. They have never even played at Wembley before so when they finally played there and beat Brazil in front of almost 71,000 it was fantastic.

I also like to follow Japan's womens' team since they also very much 2nd class citizens in their home country but seem to do amazing things in international games. It was telling that the Japanese women soccer players flew coach class to London while the male soccer players flew first class.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Womens' soccer in the UK is very poorly attended and never televised so to make the last 8 was a fantastic achievement. They have never even played at Wembley before so when they finally played there and beat Brazil in front of almost 71,000 it was fantastic.
That must of been a good match. It's amazing how a little exposure can do a lot for a sport.

Quote:
I also like to follow Japan's womens' team since they also very much 2nd class citizens in their home country but seem to do amazing things in international games. It was telling that the Japanese women soccer players flew coach class to London while the male soccer players flew first class.
That is unreal. It must be because the men's team is so much better, and higher ranked. Let's see. FIFA 2012 world rankings for Japan: men: 20th women 3rd.

My son lives in Japan and his wife is Japanese. No wonder she has mixed feelings about living there.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Just watched the Womens Beach Volleyball tonight US vs China. What a spectacular match.

Hopefully will be just as good for the gold tomorrow night.

Prediction: US will definitely win the Gold. I'm willing to bet the house on it (of course it helps since it'll be US vs US ).
Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Here's a link to the story about the viewership and the ratings: Olympics: Despite complaints, NBC's ratings soar - chicagotribune.com

Sorry your soccer matches got spoiled .
I wish NBC would just show each event live. Of course, we have the flexibility of our time since we are retired .
Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I wish NBC would just show each event live. Of course, we have the flexibility of our time since we are retired .

I was thinking the same thing, I forgot folks had to go to work.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just watched the Womens Beach Volleyball tonight US vs China. What a spectacular match.

Hopefully will be just as good for the gold tomorrow night.

Prediction: US will definitely win the Gold. I'm willing to bet the house on it (of course it helps since it'll be US vs US ).
That was great - the Chinese really had Kerri and Misty working.

Are these videos available anywhere? I suppose you have to buy a DVD later? It'd be great to be able to pause and replay some of those plays.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That was great - the Chinese really had Kerri and Misty working.

Are these videos available anywhere? I suppose you have to buy a DVD later? It'd be great to be able to pause and replay some of those plays.

-ERD50
NBC has lots of videos online. see here Encore: May, Walsh In Women's Semis - Beach Volleyball Video | NBC Olympics
They also have an iPad app for videos. Fully agree with benefit of the pause & replay.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, I forgot folks had to go to work.
If they'd show them live I could record them on the DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
NBC has lots of videos online. see here Encore: May, Walsh In Women's Semis - Beach Volleyball Video | NBC Olympics
They also have an iPad app for videos. Fully agree with benefit of the pause & replay.
The tricky part is getting past all the spoilers so you have to learn how to navigate to the events you want without opening your eyes

The other day I was watching a soccer game with my son and the game was tied at the end of 90 minutes but he had to go to work so I asked if he'd be able to watch it on-line. (he works nights and usually has plenty of time while waiting for batch jobs to complete). He said it would be impossible to get to it without seeing the result, so I did all the navigation after the game ended and sent him an e-mail with url link so he was able to see the last 30 minutes and penalty shoot-out without knowing the result. (Of course the result was actually very predictable as GB soccer teams have a long running tradition of losing on penalties in the knock-out stages of soccer competitions).
Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I wish NBC would spare us the "glamor shots" with dramatic music and poses by the athletes (seems most pronounced with the female gymnasts). It trivializes their accomplishments. I'd prefer the time be spent covering events or maybe a short segment showing more slow-motion replays--floor routines, vault, and uneven parallel bars are very quick and hard to fully appreciate in real time..
Men's high bar yesterday was terrific.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I wish NBC would spare us the "glamor shots" with dramatic music and poses by the athletes (seems most pronounced with the female gymnasts). It trivializes their accomplishments. I'd prefer the time be spent covering events or maybe a short segment showing more slow-motion replays--floor routines, vault, and uneven parallel bars are very quick and hard to fully appreciate in real time..
+1 That would be terrific. Most of the gymnastics coverage during the past week seemed to be quite brief in comparison with the coverage of swimming and diving, which seemed to me to have extremely long coverage. I'd love to watch an hour long show with slow motion replays and reruns of women's gymnastics.

The men's gymnastics was terrific, too. It hasn't really had the hype, though, or if it did I missed it. I was just blown away with how good the contestants were.

Men's high bar yesterday was terrific.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote